Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2005 3:37:21 PM EDT
Handcuffed Woman Grabs, Shoots Indiana Officer's Gun

ASSOCIATED PRESS

EVANSVILLE, Ind. (AP) -- A handcuffed woman on her way to jail in the back of a police car grabbed an officer's gun and managed to fire one bullet into the floorboard of the car, police said.

Neither the officer nor the woman was injured, police said.

Evansville Patrolman Wayne Hunt said he struggled with the female prisoner trying to take his gun Monday night. He stopped the car before the woman got her fingers under the gun's trigger guard. It fired right through his holster, Hunt said.

The bullet missed Hunt and passed through the car's floorboard, ricocheting underneath. Hunt said he hit the suspect until she let go of the gun, still holstered.

''I hate to think what could have happened. If she had gotten it out, she probably would have shot me,'' Hunt said.

Hunt earlier on Monday spotted a truck parked in an out-of-the-way area with a couple inside, and he suspected prostitution. He found that the woman in the car, Falisha S. McFarland, 24, was wanted on a warrant for failing to appear in court at a sentencing on cocaine charge.

Hunt arrested her and was driving her to the Vanderburgh County Jail when he noticed the slender, limber prisoner had unbuckled herself. She scooted around and reached over the police console to try to unholster the gun on his right side, he said.

After the gun discharged and she released the weapon, Hunt said he got the struggling, kicking prisoner out of the car and called for backup officers to take her to jail where she was being held early Wednesday on $12,500 bond.

''My wife was upset. She was relieved that nothing happened,'' Hunt said.

McFarland later said she didn't want to harm Hunt ''but just wanted to see her children one more time before she went to jail,'' a police affidavit said.

McFarland was to receive 18 months' probation for cocaine possession during the sentencing she skipped, but because of Monday's incident, that deal is off, Vanderburgh County Deputy Prosecutor Tim Fox said.

McFarland faces a new felony charge of attempted battery with a deadly weapon.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#1]
What, no cage?? In the front seat? WTF??
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

McFarland later said she didn't want to harm Hunt ''but just wanted to see her children one more time before she went to jail,''

Boo fucking hoo.

FTA then this little "misunderstanding"? Yeah, she's just a poor, misunderstood waif.  

McFarland was to receive 18 months' probation for cocaine possession during the sentencing she skipped, but because of Monday's incident, that deal is off, Vanderburgh County Deputy Prosecutor Tim Fox said.

McFarland faces a new felony charge of attempted battery with a deadly weapon.  

Sounds like she would have spent the night, then still been eligible for probation. What a dolt.

She should consider herself lucky that stupidity isn't a capital offense in civilized society.

Of course, so should a lot of us...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:45:14 PM EDT
[#3]
If you don't have a cage, you are supposed to transport them in the front seat, It keep you from getting hit from behind. I'm curious if she was handcuffed behind her back.

Jason
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm curious about that as well.  Also, whether or not hinged or chained cuffs were used.

A few months ago we had a prisoner, who was cuffed in front, lunge through the partition window (which should have been locked closed) and grab a deputies gun.  The deputy ended up crashing his car into a berm and then stabbing the guy to keep him from getting control of the weapon.

A couple weeks ago I did a prisoner transfer where I met the other officer (who's jurisdiction is about an hour and a half away) and he had the prisoner (18 year old male) cuffed in front AND sitting in the front seat.  I couldn't frigging believe it.

Quoted:
If you don't have a cage, you are supposed to transport them in the front seat, It keep you from getting hit from behind. I'm curious if she was handcuffed behind her back.

Jason

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:02:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Hunt said he hit the suspect until she let go of the gun

Hard and repeatedly I hope

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#6]
trying to take away anyone's gun is pretty stupid.

its incredibly stupid if you're already in cuffs.

but stupid is supposed to hurt.  its natures way of telling you to quit doing stupid stuff
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:25:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't forget, stupid also gets you an appointment w/IA
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#8]
There's a post on Glocktalk Coptalk about this. It seems that she was cuffed behind her back but was limber and able to bring them around to the front. She then dove forward and was able to get her finger in the holster and hit the trigger on the Glock. The holster was a 6280 w/M3 attached.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#9]
This is the P.D. I dispatch for.

She was handcuffed behind her back.  She was able to undo the seatbelt, and turn sideways in the seat  - moving her hands (still behind her) to her left side....if you can picture it.

He was wearing one of the SWAT holsters that will enable a person with small fingers to get one into the trigger and fire the weapon.   Wayne held her hand on the gun to keep her from unholstering it.  He was using his left hand to steer until he could come to a stop (was on a highway) - amazing he didn't run into anything.

He's a damn good officer, shame it happened to him.

ETA:  And she was in the back seat - car didn't have a cage.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top