Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2005 10:58:52 AM EDT
After deciding that a job in criminal justice wasn't my cup of tea, I've decided to return to the medical field.  What can you EMTs tell me about what to expect job/pay wise?  I'm planning to go all the way through and pick up EMT-Paramedic.  Thanks for the info in advance!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what your PMD/state EMS requires for hours & skills. Expect IV, limited meds (narcan / 1:1,000 Epi for anapylaxis, 50% Dextrose, possibl;y NTG) some advanced airway and maybe defib (semi auto or manual).

It's one series of steps on a longer journey. Good luck...
SUCKER!

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#2]
First round of cardiac arrest drugs aswell...   Pay depends on your location and the city/county/provider.  Goodluck, in this state the Intermediate test is the toughest of all 3 levels.  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#3]
It really depends on your state.
In TX, there is no statewide scope of practice.  Your scope is determined by your medical director.
In some places EMT-Bs can intubate and start IVs, etc.
I've only got two more semesters of Medic school left, and I'll be testing for Intermediate in a few months.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info and encouragement folks!  In GA, EMT-I is the lowest level recognized (according to one of my firefighting friends, I need to check that fact).  Good luck on your test Zoot.  Keep us updated!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#5]
kuo34,

Fair warning, EMS is severely underpaid in the overwhelming majority of country. We do what we do not for the money, but because we believe in making a difference and helping our fellow man. Best of luck....
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:11:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Roger that.  If I wanted to get rich, I would've been a lawyer.  Being able to support a family would be good enough for me.  Getting back into health care is priceless for me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:17:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Roger that.  If I wanted to get rich, I would've been a lawyer.  Being able to support a family would be good enough for me.  Getting back into health care is priceless for me.

Agreed on all counts. I do it not for the money, but for the satisfaction of the job..
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:34:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Are you tied down to your current area? If not  can put you on to my home county in NC where you can get all your schooling for the cost of books, all the way through paramedic, for volunteering with a local FD or rescue squad.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm tied down at the moment since we just bought a house down here.  The good news is I still qualify for HOPE scholarship in GA, so tuition is covered and I get a decent book allowance ($150 last I checked) per quarter.  That and it's all night classes so I can still hammer away at a day job . . . if I get any callbacks.  Another week with just one job and I'm going to start checking out fast food joints for jobs.  That's another thread for another time though.

Thanks for the heads up Garand_Shooter!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top