Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2005 4:13:19 PM EDT
I passed the exam today. When I went back for the prescreening interview I was told I was temporarily DQ'd and that I would recieve a packet with more info and a date that I can re-apply. They couldn't tell my why but I know the reason, it's because I have used marijuana a few times when I was about 17, I hadn't touched it for years but, stupidly, I used it a little in December and Feburary. Not much, it didn't even register on a hair test taken in late March but that doesn't change the fact that I did do it. I blame no one but myself, they were right in their decision. This is my mistake and mine alone and I deserve to pay for it. I intend to re-apply as soon as possible. I am assuming it would be a year from the last date used, I just hope it isn't to long. Do any of you have any clue how long this could be? The good side to this is #1 - they know that I am not witholding anything that could incriminate me and when I go as long as they ask me too without incident they will know I am for real and # 2 - it gives me more time to get in shape which I really need.  I am completley undettered by this, I WILL be a police officer, It's just going to take a little longer than I thought.  I am upset with myself, but I am not giving up.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#1]
If it didnt show up in the drug screen, how did they find out?  Polygraph?  If the drug use was the reason for the "disqualification"  I dont know what kind of message that sends to them for any future hiring attempts.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#2]

If it didnt show up in the drug screen, how did they find out? Polygraph? If the drug use was the reason for the "disqualification" I dont know what kind of message that sends to them for any future hiring attempts.

They know because I told them, and I told them because for one, I am not a damn liar. They asked for the truth and that is exactly what they got. And two, if I lie, they WILL find out about it. They will give me a ploygraph test later on. IF I lie I can never, EVER be a police officer in Tucson, and that I cannot take. But that isn't even ANY sort of motivation for telling the truth. I told the truth becuase I am no liar, and because these people will have to trust their lives to me, and I to them. There must be NO secrets like this. We cannot worry about whether our brothers are dishonest or under any influence.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with honesty, was just wondering if you volunteered the information or were asked.  As for the applications, Im suprised they wont mail you an application.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#4]
They asked and I volunteered. You guys do realize I was applying to be a police officer, right?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:04:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Kevin....I salute both your honesty, and good sense. I think most departments are needing good recruits badly enough that a year's wait should do it ( I know it sounds like a long time to a young man, but I started in this business over 40 years ago, and it seems like yesterday!) . Did you ask them? I wish you all the best of luck!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:25:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for the kind words. I am absolutley dedicating myself as of tonight, %100.  I have had a bit of a problem with alcohol, I went out and got drunk tonight even thought the whole time I felt shitty about it. I knew it was wrong and that I was making yet another mistake. When I got home, just now, I dumped every bit of alcohol down the sink, which was probably about $500 worth,  and tossed all shot  glasses, flasks, mixers etc. I am NOT fucking around anymore. It's time I stopped acting like a damn boy and stepped up to be a man, which is one of the reasons why I wanted to be an officer in the first place. I need to get put on the right track and I know this will help, but ultimatley I have to do it myself.  Police or not, the juvinile stage is over and done, better late than never. I am better than that. I AM BETTER THAN THAT, and I WILL prove it, I don't give a shit how long it takes. I want to make my city a better place and I want to prove every last motherfucker who ever doubted me wrong. I am so much more than what I have become, and I will be more than I ever thought I could be soon, it's just going to take a bit longer that I thought which is good, because I don't think I am ready just yet. I mostly felt this way feeling the PD close, now that they have pushed me away, and for good reason, I am even more dedicated, and I truly feel these feelings for myself, and I want it even more. I am now even stronger willed and even more determined. Fogive my rant but I am dead serious. I have never felt these feelings before, and I will not fail, period.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:05:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Kevin, I caught your previous post:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=76&t=377117

figured the pot use in the past six months would get you, now is your chance to show them your serious about getting on the straight and narrow.  The background will want to know all about your personal life, how much booze you drink, your bills and credit, girlfiriends, domestic issues, lawful behavior, ect.

The next year is crucial for you if you really want to be in law enforcement, show them you've grown up.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:08:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Exactly. I am serious, playtime is over. No more drinking after earlier tonight. No more stupid and wrong decisions. As I said, I am a man now, I have been for some time. It's high time I started acting like it, and that's what I intend to do.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:45:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Just curious why you took a hair drug test in March?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Kevin,

These words are gong to kind of tough for you to hear right now, but it needs to be said.  As it stands currently, you don't belong in law enforcement.  I don't say this to be mean or to discourage you.  My intent is for you take a realistic inventory of your situation.

You freely admit that you used marijuana as recently as about 6 months ago.  You freely admit that you have had "a bit" of a problem with alcohol.  Yet your reaction to this setback is to go out and tie one on.  I applaud your honesty in admitting your mistakes as well as your determination to make it in this line of work, but you're trying too hard to convince yourself that you're finally serious.  It shouldn't be that hard.

I could be way off here, but you sound like a guy in denial about a chemical dependency problem.  It might serve you well to get a professional assessment (be as honest with them as you are with us) and follow their recommendations.  If you get a clean bill of health from them, then continue to pursue your career goals.

Again, my intentions here are sincere.  Your health and welfare are far more important than this (or any other) job.  Just so you know where I'm coming from....I'm a 10 year LEO, involved in firearms and use of force training, field training, and SWAT.  I also come from a long line of alcoholics.  The demon seems to have missed me, but I know him well.  I know law enforcement and I know chemical dependency.

IM me if you wish to discuss it privately, otherwise, I wish you well.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If it didnt show up in the drug screen, how did they find out? Polygraph? If the drug use was the reason for the "disqualification" I dont know what kind of message that sends to them for any future hiring attempts.

They know because I told them, and I told them because for one, I am not a damn liar. They asked for the truth and that is exactly what they got.

You did exactly what you should have done.  Some agencies have a one year rule.  Good luck; your honesty will get you a long way.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I took a hair test in march because I got a new job. I know this sounds like what a person with a dependency issue would say, but I am not an alcoholic. I choose to drink more often than I should, but I don't do it becuase I feel like I have to. And you are right, right now I do not belong there. I have to show them that I do not have any issues such as this and that is why I am DQ'd for the moment. They are testing me to see if I am real or not. I'm not trying to convince myself i'm serious, I just finally relaized that I am.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#13]
The consequences of childish behavior can suck sometimes. They can be far reaching and long lasting.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Good luck with you. Take some time and focus. Get some more maturity. If you are serious, it will happen.

When I applied to ASU PD last year, I submitted a 5 page typed addendum to my full disclosure form. I left nothing out. I used to be a musician back in the late 80's after I got out of the Army. I got involved with people who used cocaine. I used it a few times. It was different, but I could never afford it. Never tried anything else, including pot. Never even smoked legal cigarettes. No desire. Although I have drank my share of alcohol, it is not a problem for me and I could never drank again and never miss it. I drink on average maybe once a year and maybe one or two drinks. Sometimes I go for years without having a drink or beer.

I withdrew my application after my oral boards to come to Ohio to take care of my ALZ Grandfather. If ever I had a reason to drink heavily, it would be him.

He's in home now and I can reapply to a PD, but not sure I want to do so in Ohio. Still soul searching. After he passes, I'll move back to AZ.

BTW, I'm in my 40's now and still in good shape. Enough to pass the Phys agility test.

Take care.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:21:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thank you for the kind words. I am absolutley dedicating myself as of tonight, %100.  I have had a bit of a problem with alcohol, I went out and got drunk tonight even thought the whole time I felt shitty about it. I knew it was wrong and that I was making yet another mistake. When I got home, just now, I dumped every bit of alcohol down the sink, which was probably about $500 worth,  and tossed all shot  glasses, flasks, mixers etc. I am NOT fucking around anymore. It's time I stopped acting like a damn boy and stepped up to be a man, which is one of the reasons why I wanted to be an officer in the first place. I need to get put on the right track and I know this will help, but ultimatley I have to do it myself.  Police or not, the juvinile stage is over and done, better late than never. I am better than that. I AM BETTER THAN THAT, and I WILL prove it, I don't give a shit how long it takes. I want to make my city a better place and I want to prove every last motherfucker who ever doubted me wrong. I am so much more than what I have become, and I will be more than I ever thought I could be soon, it's just going to take a bit longer that I thought which is good, because I don't think I am ready just yet. I mostly felt this way feeling the PD close, now that they have pushed me away, and for good reason, I am even more dedicated, and I truly feel these feelings for myself, and I want it even more. I am now even stronger willed and even more determined. Fogive my rant but I am dead serious. I have never felt these feelings before, and I will not fail, period.

If someone talked like this in a psych test, would they likely pass?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:00:28 AM EDT
[#16]
People who doubt you are "Motherfuckers" ?  Can you blame a person who doubts your ability after all you have posted?  

Based on the information in your post, I bet it will be A LONG TIME before you are given a job.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:01:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Frankly.....No.  I think he's sincere but I can tell you that I wouldn't hire him at this stage.  Talk is cheap....actions are expensive.  He's going to have to show a pattern of good behavior and so far, by his own admissions, he doesn't have it.  

Good luck to you Kevin.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:23:47 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Frankly.....No.  I think he's sincere but I can tell you that I wouldn't hire him at this stage.  Talk is cheap....actions are expensive.  He's going to have to show a pattern of good behavior and so far, by his own admissions, he doesn't have it.  

Good luck to you Kevin.

Thank you.  My faith is restored.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:02:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Arizona requires a period of 3 years since your last use of marijuana before you are eligible to be a peace officer.  Check the Admistrative Codes at AzPost.  It is in code R13-4-105.A.10
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#20]
How old are you? (If you don't mind me asking.)
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#21]
I, for one, am kind of glad the at least some states still look at recreational pot use as detrimental to the development of a police officer/police force.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I've never used any kind of illegal drugs.  

I applied for law enforcement in 1974/75.  They didn't believe me even after I passed the lie detector test.  They never gave me a drug test.  I wasn't hired.  

I finally got hired in 1981 with a smaller department.  I’ve been with the same department for 23 years with NO disciplinary action.  None.  

I’ve had an application in at another department for the past 11 months.  No contact from the department.  Four phone calls to the sergeant in charge of hiring with no return phone calls.  They only hold applications for one year.  They can kiss my A$$ if they think I’m going to re-apply after one year.  The application is long as hell and they want every job you have ever had.  

You may think about fire fighter.  If I wasn’t so old, I’d apply for fire fighter now.  The fire academy would kill me.    

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I am 23 as of last week. And you guys are right, and so are they. I am not ready yet. There are things about my life that I have to change and that's what I am trying to do. I want to take the time and do this right and prove that I am serious, because talk IS cheap. And when I refer to the people who doubt me, I am not talking about any of you or by any means anyone on the PD, I am talking about some negative sources in my personal life. Anything worth doing is worth doing right, and investing time in, that's what I am going to do. I am considering joining the armed forces in the meantime but i;m not sure if that's the right road or not. I don't want to dedicate my life to that, I want to dediacte myself to my PD.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I am considering joining the armed forces in the meantime but i;m not sure if that's the right road or not.

IMHO, I think that is a step in the right direction for you.  A good service record will do nothing but help you (not to mention adding to your skill set and giving you the focus and discipline you need to compete for a LEO slot)  

You are young... 4 years out of your life is nothing.  Just remember there are no age limits for officers in most departments.  

Think about serving your country, then your community.

NorCal
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I am 23 as of last week. And you guys are right, and so are they. I am not ready yet. There are things about my life that I have to change and that's what I am trying to do. I want to take the time and do this right and prove that I am serious, because talk IS cheap. And when I refer to the people who doubt me, I am not talking about any of you or by any means anyone on the PD, I am talking about some negative sources in my personal life. Anything worth doing is worth doing right, and investing time in, that's what I am going to do. I am considering joining the armed forces in the meantime but i;m not sure if that's the right road or not. I don't want to dedicate my life to that, I want to dediacte myself to my PD.

Sounds like your on the right track.  Many police departments like ex-military.  Sometimes you'll also get vet preference on your tests.  

Good luck in all of your endeavors.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Military sounds like a good thing to get yourself into at this point.  It'll force you to grow up and be someone you are proud of.  It'll also build your resume with positives.

It's time to grow up....your day will come
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#27]
The only thing about the military I don't like is that I have to spend so much time away from my daughter, and it may not even be for a cause I belive in. At least I believe in law enforcement. I'm not much into politics, but I don't want to get sucked into another Vietnam or Iraq.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Exactly. I am serious, playtime is over. No more drinking after earlier tonight. No more stupid and wrong decisions.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The only thing about the military I don't like is that I have to spend so much time away from my daughter, and it may not even be for a cause I belive in. At least I believe in law enforcement. I'm not much into politics, but I don't want to get sucked into another Vietnam or Iraq.

So you have a kid too? Are you married?

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Exactly. I am serious, playtime is over. No more drinking after earlier tonight. No more stupid and wrong decisions.

Haven't had a sip yet. I made a deal with myself, every time I crave a smoke or a drink I go down to my gym. It;s working, but I can't move

But thanks for the support

Yes I do have a daughter, she will be 5 in December. The military would be good for me in many ways, but  I can't be without her for that long, especially at this time in her life for many reasons. She is still depending on a relationship with me, we are still forming out lifelong bond and her mother and I split about 7 months ago and mommy isn't very responsible at all. She's stuck in party mode right now, someone has to be there for her.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#31]
As ColtRifle said... Talk is cheap... actions are expensive.

This is the time where you put the money on the table.

Take this time, stay straight, and keep working out.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#32]
hmm cool
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top