Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 3:57:59 PM EDT
Hi guys, I'm in need of some advice. I don't really have the money for a lawyer, so I thought I'd ask some opinions from your perspective.

So, here's the situation: I was involved with a girl, blah blah blah. Said girl turned out to have infidelity issues. How it went down is like this. She has friends, of whom I did not like because of their drug activity. She started hanging out with them and getting high on pot and such, time and time again. We fought over this multiple times. Well, long story short, she pretty much dumped me for this stupid pothead.

I'll admit I was a bit upset. This all happened right about the time I was laid off from my place of employment. So, needless to say I was feeling a bit low. Well, I talked to her one morning about how I had been thinking of suicide. I know I know... stupid thought, but hey, I'm still here. Well, we basically argued and then it was over. There was no contact as I am not the type to do something like that.

Anyway, so a little time goes on. We do the back and forth argueing from a distance (over the internet or phones). Finally I decided that I was done with her. So, one night I dropped all of her stuff off at the place she was staying, leaving a text message on her phone that her stuff was sealed in a bag in the driveway. Ok, she got her stuff back.

But she had things of mine that I wanted back. Well, I sent her an email stating that I wanted my things back from her. She eventually contacted me and told me that she gave it all away. I asked if that included my artwork. (I am a bit of an artist.)

She said no but that I wasn't getting it back. Well, I told her that I wanted it back regardless, that she had no right to it. So, as it goes, two weeks pass by and nothing. In that time period I hear of her continued drug use, and finally this morning I called her up and said that I wanted my things, and that if she didn't get them back to me, I was going to report her and her friends to the DEA. (which is part of what I'm asking about.)

Okay, so, she leaves my stuff on the front porch, no problems, I pick it up and leave, no knock on the door, no conversation, no sight of each other. Nothing. "Good," I think to myself. "It's done, and now I can go on about my life."

Now, it's nearing 8PM and I just got served a restraining order, stating that I have been accused of stalking. But, it was not considered by the judge to be criminal. Damn straight! I'm no criminal. I've NEVER been in trouble with the law, hell, my last speeding ticket was in 1998.

So anyway, now I have to go to court and speak my case. My questions are as follows:

1- is this going to affect my right to bare arms when I have ABSOLUTELY NO INTENTION of EVER communicating with her again?

2- can some kind of action be taken by the fact (and I forgot to mention) that she spray painted "F*#@ YOU across my artwork? As well, can something be done about the things of mine that she gave away or threw away or whatever she did with it?

3- am I not in the right for wanting to, and do I have the right to, report her and her friend's drug activities to the DEA or local police?

In this situation, what is the prudent thing to do? Obviously obey the order, which I didn't need an order in the first place to do, as it was my intent to break contact after I got my things back in the first place. A little advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a restrianing order against her.  Talk to the judge in a calm professional manner, or call the local DA and ask how it affects you and what you can do.  It seems like she left you because you didn't make it comfortable and easy for her to continue to do her drugs, you're better off with out her, good luck let us know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, so it looks as though I'm in the clear on the right to own firearms, as this is not a domestic violence restraining order, seeing as how I've never touched her in a harmful way. The restraining order that I got was a stalking one because I went to get my things, so, no big deal. And I absolutely agree, I am very much better off without her. It just a damn shame to see somebody I once loved turn to drugs.

Thanks again. I'll keep you posted.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#3]
1) no conviction, no problem
2) yes
3) yes
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
1- is this going to affect my right to bare arms when I have ABSOLUTELY NO INTENTION of EVER communicating with her again?

No, you may still wear tank tops and tshirts as long as you don't piss off the Fashion Police...

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, you may still wear tank tops and tshirts as long as you don't piss off the Fashion Police...

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:19:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, just an update... got a lawyer. She dropped the charges because she admitted herself that she filed them out of anger and that there was no grounds for it. So, back to life as usual.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:16:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well, just an update... got a lawyer. She dropped the charges because she admitted herself that she filed them out of anger and that there was no grounds for it. So, back to life as usual.

Is it docuementd that she was full of shit, or is that what she told you.  Wouldn't want to have something hanging out there over you that you think is resolved
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Not sure about what the judge wrote down or anything. I've got to meet back up with my lawyer next week to discuss some things about this, just to make sure I'm not going to face any future harrasment, and to create some kind of shield showing her tendency to act impulsively and without reason. All in all though, I "feel" that this is done. (in quotations because what one feels does not always make it correct.)

I do hope she gets her head and her life together, but it won't be on my dime any longer.

thanks again guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top