Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2005 7:23:46 PM EDT
We're up for a new contract
Currently we have to attend 40 hours of training a year ( 4 days classroom 1 day range )
We all get reassigned from our regular posts to go and someone has to fill our slot
( usually on overtime )

Now they want us to go on our scheduled days off but on Straight Time Pay
( years ago we could attend training on our days off on Overtime )

How do you attend Training in your Dept ????
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:39:53 AM EDT
[#1]
We go in lieu of scheduled duty.  Our mandatory training is scheduled like our patrol shifts (4/10s) so we go to AOT for a week instead of shift.  If days off overlap, officers are given an "admin day" to make up for the difference.

NorCal
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:49:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
We're up for a new contract
Currently we have to attend 40 hours of training a year ( 4 days classroom 1 day range )
We all get reassigned from our regular posts to go and someone has to fill our slot
( usually on overtime )

Now they want us to go on our scheduled days off but on Straight Time Pay
( years ago we could attend training on our days off on Overtime )

How do you attend Training in your Dept ????

40 hours a year?!!!! holy shit thats nothing.!!!

I can't believe it's not more.

I'm sure some guys go on thier own and such to work on skills but they are probably the minority. I can't believe it's only 40hrs a year total. thats just insainely low.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
For us, it depends on the type of training (and how much they have allocated for the training).  Sometimes it's strait time, on our scheduled days to work which we get strait time, but a day off from patrol.  Other times it's on our RDO, but then it's always overtime.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:27:10 AM EDT
[#6]
We try to flex as much time off in lieu of paying overtime for training. Say you have a week-long class somewhere and 3 of those days fall on days you'd usually have off - they try to get you out of work three other days in that pay period.

Edited for my messed up inside-out logic. (read: I'm retarded)
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:13:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Ours used to be in lieu but it caused a buttload of mandatory OT.   Now they allow us to schedule it for in lieu, comp, or OT.   It helps scheduling issues alot.   I love to make $40hr to go shoot.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#8]
We get compensatory time off, by contract, for training.

Just because the City is offering straight time doesn't mean you have to accept it. Negotiate what you want.

Mike

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Tell them to get stuffed.
Our training is scheduled during our shifts. The odd time they will pay overtime.
If you give them this..they will want more.

UPDATE

Alright what our Union finally agreed upon was this

Any new hires after Jan 1 2006 must attend their Annual 40 hours of training on Strailght Time on their Days Off for their first 5 years of service ( the Contract expires in 2010 but this will still be in effect until a new contract is ratified )

Now for the bad news

The contract was  voted in by the Majority of the Membership Tonite
There some other Bad Things in there that are worse than the Training Issue
I just don't want to get into it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top