Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 10:36:11 PM EDT
I've thought long and hard about this and finally came to the conclusion that I need to leave my current job as a paramedic for FDNY. I'll be throwing 16 yrs down the tubes and a job I loved to do, but I don't like what FDNY has turned my job into. Sadly, it went from a job I truly enjoyed to one where I dread coming to work. I just got my letter of conditional employment from the Federal Air Marshals and pending the results of the medical, I will be hired. My final hurtle will be passing the hearing test (tinnitus thanks to Iraq) and the color blindness test as I don't always pass the pseudoisochromatic plates.........Wish me luck, gents.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck, but don't you have just 4 years to go to pension out? Seems like it'd be worth sticking it out til then. What's gone bad in the job?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:30:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Good luck, but don't you have just 4 years to go to pension out?

Negative. It would be 9 more years...

Seems like it'd be worth sticking it out til then.

Even if it was four I would still leave...Its that bad..

What's gone bad in the job?

The list is endless and would span several pages. Perhaps if time permits I'll elaorate.Suffices to say ever since the hostile takeover by FDNY (we were formerly our own agency, NYC*EMS), its been all downhill. Salary and working conditions are some of the reasons, but there are countless more. Its so bad that Senior Medics are leaving for lower paying jobs rather than continue to work for FDNY.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Yer gonna work with Charlie Brown?!!?!?

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yer gonna work with Charlie Brown?!!?!?

Lesser of two evils. I'd much rather Charlie Brown than these clowns:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top