Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 1:02:04 AM EDT
I emailed our local chief about it, he said just fill out the application and come in and take a basic aptitude test.  I talked to some local full-time PD guys and asked what the reserve thing was all about.  They said they basically get you qualified with a side arm, and give you a quick run down on how things work, then you get to put in 10 hours a month just sorta helping out.  Ridding partner with a full-time guy so they aren't spread so thin, doing odd jobs around the station, etc etc.  There's no pay in it, all volunteer.  Should I do it?  I've been a volunteer firefighter for awhile that was pretty fun and got to hang out with a good bunch of guys.  Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:38:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:01:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I emailed our local chief about it, he said just fill out the application and come in and take a basic aptitude test.  I talked to some local full-time PD guys and asked what the reserve thing was all about.  They said they basically get you qualified with a side arm, and give you a quick run down on how things work, then you get to put in 10 hours a month just sorta helping out.  Ridding partner with a full-time guy so they aren't spread so thin, doing odd jobs around the station, etc etc.  There's no pay in it, all volunteer.  Should I do it?  I've been a volunteer firefighter for awhile that was pretty fun and got to hang out with a good bunch of guys.  Thanks for your input.

I say no. Go back to being a volunteer firefighter.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#3]
If you feel you you may be interested in a law enforcement career I say yes.  Alot of agencies hire their full time paid officers from their reserve ranks.  This way the managment can get a little bit of an idea how well you work and do your duties.  I have been a reserve officer for going on 13 years now and really enjoy it.  Our state requires reserves to complete the law enforcement academies academic cirriculum which include state, local and constitutional law.  I have found it very rewarding.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you feel you you may be interested in a law enforcement career I say yes.  Alot of agencies hire their full time paid officers from their reserve ranks.  This way the managment can get a little bit of an idea how well you work and do your duties.  I have been a reserve officer for going on 13 years now and really enjoy it.  Our state requires reserves to complete the law enforcement academies academic cirriculum which include state, local and constitutional law.  I have found it very rewarding.

+1 that's why I went reserve until I finish college. We do our training in-house though.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:54:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

we're a rural dept. don't get much structure, so I spend a great deal of time humping bladder bags up to where brush trucks can't drive......that gets old after awhile you know?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Being a reserve is a great way to get into LEO work.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:40:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

we're a rural dept. don't get much structure, so I spend a great deal of time humping bladder bags up to where brush trucks can't drive......that gets old after awhile you know?

Yes, I do know. We get maybe 2-3 structure fires a year on average. Lots of grass fires and car fires though. I volunteer for a rural fire department myself. I've also spent 6 or so years in law enforcement and have no desire to go back.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+10,000. Why you would want to go from FD to PD is beyond me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+10,000. Why you would want to go from FD to PD is beyond me.

technically I could do both, I have a couple friends that do.  It's only 10 hours a month, how bad could it be?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top