Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2005 5:24:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, its becoming somewhat of a buzzword, still yet to see if anything useful comes of it.  It sounds like it could be a good tool.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:28:31 PM EDT
[#3]
It's big in the UK, where it originated.

10-32
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Didn't find ICE, but "Dad" worked out pretty good.  Had a serious rollover the other night.  Victim had ID, but wasn't a local, so no one knew for sure who to contact.  I looked through his cell phone and found an entry for Dad.  Had dispatch do a reverse lookup and they found a listing with an address.  They contacted the local PD to make contact in person and advise them.

I haven't heard of ICE, but it sounds like a good idea.  If possible, I think it's best to have someone make contact in person, though.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:56:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah i heard of it..supposed to put the word "ICE" next to soeone's name in your phone so they can contact them.  I personally have never looked though somones cell phone.  thats just me though....i dont want momy frantically rushing around town to find the scene her little angel is on.  i'll let the hostpital deal with it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:20:10 AM EDT
[#6]
If ya'll ever end up calling Immigrations and Customs Enforcement like that, let me know!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:36:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Never heard of it.............
Besides we don't contact next of kin........... Structure Fire? Fire control (dispatch) tries to contact homeowner if not home at the time! MVA? Thats left to the deputies or highway patrol............
Signal 7? (DOA or dies while in cardiac arrest or while being transported for any major trauma)
DOA= Left with the deputies
Cardiac Arrest=on scene, sheriffs department, while being transported........ Fire control or the hospital were patient was being transported!

We will usually try and find ID or something like that tho get a name, but we don't do the actual calling.

Not our job!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:51:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I always look for "Home" "Dad" or "Mom"

ICE sounds like a good idea, though. Wonder how long it'll take to catch on?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I've heard of it a lot here but have yet to encounter it in the field.  Actually the first two places I heard of it were on dog owners forums.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Round these parts, cops do the notifications.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't touch that one, we have always let S.O. or DPS take care of that, if they are DRT and family is right there then you know its the I'm sorry ma'am or whatever. Not our job I agree.....
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
ICE = In case of emergency
Paramedics will turn to a victim's cell phone for clues to that person's
identity. You can make their job much easier with a
simple idea that they are trying to get everyone to adopt: ICE.

ICE stands for In Case of Emergency. If you add an entry in the contacts
list in your cell phone under ICE, with the name
and phone no. of the person that the emergency services should call on
your behalf, you can save them a lot of time and
have your loved ones contacted quickly. It only takes a few moments of
your time to do.

Paramedics know what ICE means and they look for it immediately. ICE
your cell phone NOW!

Please pass this one along!

Yeah, I've heard of it, on the TV. Same place you probably heard of it. I have never heard of this being in widespread use in our area. I wouldn't really look in someone's cell phone anyway. I treat the patient, wait for ambulance to arrive and then when the patient gets to the hospital, the hospital can contact someone. I don't want family members on my scene. I doubt the medics do and I can guarantee you that a flight crew doesn't.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:36:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I programmed my ICE to dial 911

TXL
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

TXL

The program is ment for responders to be able to call someone who knows about you.  Example...if you are not concious and we need to know what meds you take, your phone might have "janedoewife-ICE"  she would be called to get information such as meds, allergies and to be allerted to the emergancy.  

Now if i am on the waaaambulance and i look in your phone and see ICE.  Then i call it...and get connected to either my dispatch or the 911 dispatcher.....i'm gonna think your a retard...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:35:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I personally have never looked though somones cell phone.  thats just me though....i dont want momy frantically rushing around town to find the scene her little angel is on.  i'll let the hostpital deal with it.

+1. I've seen the "Momma's-next-door-neighbor's-auntie's-cousin" net in action. Had a crowd of about 200 at a "police involved" DUI fatality crash before the first units ever got on location.

Funny part was, no cops were actually involved prior to the crash. It was all rumor mill and .

I have spoken to the occasional husband / parent / work, usually to let them know that "Patient X" is OK, and will be going to XYZ Hospital (ie they aren't telling a tall tale to hang out at the bar).  I've probably prevented accidents by doing it, because the 2nd call is usually the panicked  "OH MY GOD I'VE BEEN IN AN ACCIDENT AND I'M GONNA DIE" to the hubby or folks resulting in the requisiste speeding relative to the scene, convinced they must arrive before their beloved breathes their last.

(And of course, the really badly injured ones usually don't have the ability to call. It's the "walking wounded" types that spread fear and panic. Calming down the responding relatives makes all parties invovled deal with the situation in a calmer fashion, and probably saves both tires and accidents)

But I dont make a practice of it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:07:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Round these parts, cops do the notifications.

Same for my part of NC. Usually not enough time to drop off from patient care to call somebody, but a report can wait 5 mniutes.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:44:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TXL

The program is ment for responders to be able to call someone who knows about you.  Example...if you are not concious and we need to know what meds you take, your phone might have "janedoewife-ICE"  she would be called to get information such as meds, allergies and to be allerted to the emergancy.  

Now if i am on the waaaambulance and i look in your phone and see ICE.  Then i call it...and get connected to either my dispatch or the 911 dispatcher.....i'm gonna think your a retard...

Now cmon, you know me, you have to know I am slightly retarded

And I have a dad, and a home as numbers in my cel, so, no worries.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
ICE = In case of emergency
Paramedics will turn to a victim's cell phone for clues to that person's
identity. You can make their job much easier with a
simple idea that they are trying to get everyone to adopt: ICE.

ICE stands for In Case of Emergency. If you add an entry in the contacts
list in your cell phone under ICE, with the name
and phone no. of the person that the emergency services should call on
your behalf, you can save them a lot of time and
have your loved ones contacted quickly. It only takes a few moments of
your time to do.

Paramedics know what ICE means and they look for it immediately. ICE
your cell phone NOW!

Please pass this one along!

we where just talkin about this at work on saturday

first ive herd of it..

fpfd
iaff loc 1526
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm from the Northeast and in the Fire service anyone from the east is known as a traditionalist.  So, I rather look for a wallet or through the medicine cabinet at home,  I usually spend most of my time trying to get my patients off the fucking cell phone.  But go ahead you "buzzword" guys.  While your playing tetris on the patient's cell phone ;I'll be doing patient care.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TXL

Now cmon, you know me, you have to know I am slightly retarded

And I have a dad, and a home as numbers in my cel, so, no worries.

TXL

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#22]
sounds more like a job for the police.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#23]
yeah, the buzzword got big around here and quickly died out. I agree w/ most everyone, I look for wallets and meds. People around here also have something called "file-for-life". The geriatric crowd has an magnet-envelope on the refridgerator door w/ spelled-out info. Otherwise, I think the only time me or my ff-pm friends need to handle a Pt's cell phone is to hand it over to the PD.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I have been lucky in recent that I did have a critical MVC patient that had ICE in their cell. I was able to contact the family and not only let them know but get critical med info on them. I think it is a great idea when you have the option. If you are too busy then hold off till at the hospital and make the call.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:45:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Didn't find ICE, but "Dad" worked out pretty good.  Had a serious rollover the other night.  Victim had ID, but wasn't a local, so no one knew for sure who to contact.  I looked through his cell phone and found an entry for Dad.  Had dispatch do a reverse lookup and they found a listing with an address.  They contacted the local PD to make contact in person and advise them.

I haven't heard of ICE, but it sounds like a good idea.  If possible, I think it's best to have someone make contact in person, though.

I think ICE is unneccecary.  Everyone's got a listing for "home" or "dad" in their phone anyway.  The only time i'd really even look is if the pt was a minor.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:51:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Also it may be considered a HIPPA violation to release anything about the patiant to his/her parents or significant other, if they are adults..............
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:29:34 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Also it may be considered a HIPPA violation to release anything about the patiant to his/her parents or significant other, if they are adults..............

IIRC, you can notify family that the patient is receiving medical care at faciltiy XYZ if they're unable to speak for themselves. You just can't reveal the nature of that treatment.

Thanks, bigbro....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top