Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2005 5:17:38 AM EDT
Have you seen this? I have a serious problem with it, but I'm not sure of the legality involved. Selling NYPD badges seems like a national security issue.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=98&t=257418
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm with you
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Some people collect police badges, no big deal.

+1

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:54:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:11:08 AM EDT
[#5]
A fake police ID card wouldn't be to tough to make. I've seen some oficial ID cards that were pretty poor.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:26:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#7]
They may have the badge, but do they know the secret handshake?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:03:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They may have the badge, but do they know the secret handshake?

Good point, thats what gets them every time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#9]
When you think of all the other "NYPD" stuff that NYPD licenses and sells, I am surprised they are not selling the badges too.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
When you think of all the other "NYPD" stuff that NYPD licenses and sells, I am surprised they are not selling the badges too.

We had a fellow driving around here wearing one of those NYPD T-shirts that you can buy in Laguardia's gift shop, in some east Texas town, and they arrested him for impersonating an officer.  I really don't think we would take to kindly to folks carrying PD badges down here, either.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Galls will not sell badges to just anyone.  Orders must be on dept. stationary.  Also, depts are assigned account reps who get to know those who can and those who can't order on behalf of the department.  Could someone slip through, maybe.  But not by just phoning them up and saying I'm Joe Blow and send me a badge.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A fake police ID card wouldn't be to tough to make. I've seen some oficial ID cards that were pretty poor.

Thats why you detain the person n question and call the person's dept. to confirm that the person is indeed an actual member of the service.

+1, If he/she's a real popo, they won't mind and besides it only takes a couple of minutes anyway.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We had a fellow driving around here wearing one of those NYPD T-shirts that you can buy in Laguardia's gift shop, in some east Texas town, and they arrested him for impersonating an officer.  I really don't think we would take to kindly to folks carrying PD badges down here, either.

Nobody has arrested me yet. I have several shirts from previous employers. Arresting someone for impersonating a police officer by wearing a licensed shirt in a state where said PD does not even have jursidiction is pretty funny. I am sure there is more to the story. I doubt they care much about those PD badges, since they do not seem to do anything about them at East Texas Gun Shows, were they are for sale all over the place, including the NYPD Gold Shield, which I saw at the last show.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#15]
From what I read somewhere, it is not illegal by federal law to posess a badge from another locality if you have it nowhere near that where it is issued. Like having a replica NYPD badge in CA - but CA probably has some law against it. Or an LAPD badge in NYC. State law varies.

These are usually used for real collectors and stage productions and such.

There is a real badge collector society and they collect the real deal badges. I saw Bufford Pusser's real badge at one of the shows. Most real collectors don't like the replica ones.

As stated, if you have issues with someone flashing a badge, ask for ID and then you can call the agency to verify. They should not have an issue with it and if they do, there is a problem anyway and it needs another officer on scene quick.

I was investigated by two SWAT guys in dumpy looking clothing flashing a badge in my face. I demanded ID from both and then contacted the PD to verify who they were, all while they waited outside on the doorstep. They were not too happy, but oh well. Too bad for them, get over the pain.

I was thinking about starting to collect badges. I have some patches already. In most places, it's easier to get a fake or replica badge than it is a uniform patch. Go figure.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Have you seen this? I have a serious problem with it, but I'm not sure of the legality involved. Selling NYPD badges seems like a national security issue.

You can get a ton of different badges on ebay.  I'll sell you my innaugural badge for the right price
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:31:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats why you detain the person n question and call the person's dept. to confirm that the person is indeed an actual member of the service.

+1

Our agency's ID card is a piece of shit and I could make one pretty damn close at home without much of a problem.  If there is ANY question, make the phone call to the agency and confirm employment status.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:54:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, since pretty much everyone around here would laugh their asses off if you tried to pass yourself off as a NYPD officer, I don't see it as much of a NATIIONAL security issue.  It could, I guess, pose a security issue for NYC, but I think the seller's requirement that he won't sell badges to the state the badge is from is a fair enough precaution.

I guess I don't see a problem with it.  Some people collect badges.  Doesn't mean they're going to try to pass themselves off as cops.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Badges aren't quite the magic wands you believe them to be.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#20]
badges? we don't need no stinking badges!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top