Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 10:00:40 PM EDT
I am turning in my application to my local police department.  Here is my problem.

A couple of years ago in a neighboring county I was involved in a situation.

I was at an apartment and there were two other people there we were all drinking, to make a long story short there were firearms involved.  Two of us had an ND, mine happened as I was falling asleep with a gun in my hand apparently my hand stiffened up on the trigger while I was falling asleep, I squeezed a round off into the floor (this is bad but not the worst of this story).  

This is the bad part this guy that was drinking with me was being stupid after I had allready passed out and fallen asleep he had an ND and shot his girlfriend in the chest.  I was in no way involved in him shooting his girlfriend, but I was still in the apartment (as I had decided to fall asleep rather then trying to drive home).  The cops were called and I fessed up to my part in the "accident" (it wasn't really an accident because there was a cause).

No charges were ever filed and I was never placed under arrest. They considered filing charges against him (wreckless endangerment), but said that they never really considered filing charges against me.  They said this would never be on my record.  Now I know I need to be 100% honest about this (we all make stupid mistakes) In my opinion what makes you a man is how you live up to those mistakes.  This happened about 2 and a half years ago since then I have had one speeding ticket (over 2 years ago), I have received an insurance liscense from the State of Tn and about 30 other states and I have passed the background checks with ease.  I just recently did a ride along with KPD,  and they pulled my NCIC and it was totally clean.  The other guy involved has since renewed his Handgun carry permit, and purchased several firearms.  

I know this has been a long post and I appreciate your patience reading through it.  What do you think will this be an automatic Disqualification?  How should I handle this officially I caused no crime?  Please give me your opinions I just don't want this thing to come back and haunt me.  Thank you once again
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:44:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quite frankly, from what you wrote I am not sure you need to be a LEO.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:07:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Quite frankly, from what you wrote I am not sure you need to be a LEO.

I am being honest with myself I no longer drink, and I am sure that some out there have done way worse than what I have, I am no longer friends with that crowd of people.  I am just looking for a yes or no answer I don't need any flaming.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:23:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:34:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Don't lie, but if they don't bring this up, you don't either.

Hopefully those days really ARE behind you.

+1

never lie, but there is no need to volunteer information either.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:37:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Don't lie, but if they don't bring this up, you don't either.

Hopefully those days really ARE behind you.

Those days are long gone.  I was stupid I admit to that, since then my life is totally different.  His "accident" made me realize that if I kept going down that road I would end up in jail or worse.  In case you are wondering no drugs were involved, the story I gave you is the actual set of events that happened.  I have grown up sense then and I really don't want my youthfull indiscretions to come back and haunt me.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:24:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting.

I have heard worse.

I don't know the standard they hold you to in the particular department's backgrounds program, but I will tell you you will get grilled extensively on that story.  In "background time" two years can be like yesterday.

Just come clean and good luck.

NorCal  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Interesting.

I have heard worse.

I don't know the standard they hold you to in the particular department's backgrounds program, but I will tell you you will get grilled extensively on that story.  In "background time" two years can be like yesterday.

Just come clean and good luck.

NorCal  

Thanks for your professional response.  Supposedly nothing was ever put on my record and I was never officially placed under arrest, technically I was never detained either.  They just asked me if I would be willing to stick around for a while and disclose what I saw.  You said I would be grilled about this what kind of questions should I expect?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Question #17 on our pre-polygraph questionaire is:

Have you ever intentionally or accidentally discharged a firearm?  If yes, please explain:

Now target practice or shooting at a range is not a problem, but we do look at anything else.....

Question # 18 is:

Have you ever intentionally or accidentally fired a weapon at or towards someone?   If yes, please explain:

That is some food for thought.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Have you ever intentionally or accidentally discharged a firearm?  If yes, please explain:

Now target practice or shooting at a range is not a problem, but we do look at anything else.....

Question # 18 is:

Have you ever intentionally or accidentally fired a weapon at or towards someone?   If yes, please explain:

Question #17 Yes I have had an accidental discharge of a firearm I fell asleep while holding a pistol in my hand.

Question #18 No
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Sig,
       A major part of the background check is talking to people you know & people that know you.
Believe me if a thorough investigation is done on you this story will be known. The fact that it isn't on an ncic print-out doesn't mean anything. I agree with the others about not lying but you need to have know how you are going to answer the question when it comes up. Nothing will look worse than stumbling through your answer.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Question # 18 is:

Question #17 Yes I have had an accidental discharge of a firearm I fell asleep while holding a pistol in my hand.

Question #18 No

Good answers.

Don't ask, don't tell. Don't offer information that might DQ you without them asking you directly first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top