Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 10:18:55 AM EDT
Anybody using Remington GS9MMD, GSB9MMD or R9MM4 +P+'s in their SMG's ?

I "hear" the above are good recommendations, but i have no first hand (trigger-time) experience with them....

We're having trouble locating a RELIABLE load that will feed and function as good as ball ammo...

TIA !
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Anybody using Remington GS9MMD, GSB9MMD or R9MM4 +P+'s in their SMG's ?

I "hear" the above are good recommendations, but i have no first hand (trigger-time) experience with them....

We're having trouble locating a RELIABLE load that will feed and function as good as ball ammo...

TIA !

We've been running Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P in our Colt SMG's for the last 5 years and we have had no problems from that ammo. We have had plenty of reliability issues with our magazines but downloading them to 25 rds has helped alot.

One more point I would not recommend any +P+ simply because it would be running downrange in the neighberhood of 1450 FPS which would make the hollowpoint overexpand to much and too fast . It would wind up underpenetrating and fragmenting through intermediate barriers.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:41:43 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks ColtM4...

I'll contact our rep at Speer and see if they can get some to me for testing.  Sounds like the load to use...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#4]
We experimented with pretty much all of the major loads through 635s a few years back. Our eventual conclusion was, unfortunately, that when a 635 starts to develop reliability problems, no ammount of ammo switching, spring changing or magazine fiddling seems to help. We traded them for M4s and haven't looked back.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:39:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
We experimented with pretty much all of the major loads through 635s a few years back. Our eventual conclusion was, unfortunately, that when a 635 starts to develop reliability problems, no ammount of ammo switching, spring changing or magazine fiddling seems to help. We traded them for M4s and haven't looked back.

We did the same thing.  no problems with our new M4's
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#6]
yeah, i agree on the switch to M4's.  we're stuck with 635's at the moment, but i'm trying to convince the "powers that be" that the M4 can do everything the 635's can do and then some...

time will tell i suppose....

thanks for the feedback guys...
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:24:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
the M4 can do everything the 635's can do and then some...

Understatement of the year right there.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
yeah, i agree on the switch to M4's.  we're stuck with 635's at the moment, but i'm trying to convince the "powers that be" that the M4 can do everything the 635's can do and then some...

time will tell i suppose....

thanks for the feedback guys...

We traded our 635s to a distributor for new M4s. He sold them as used Colt 9mm parts kits, and it didn't cost us a dime. It is generally an easy sell with you Admin folks.

The really sweet part is that he was going to cut up the stripped lowers, so I convinced him to let us keep them, since I had a bunch of "conversion kits" free from DRMO - all of the parts left over from an M16A1 when the military converted them to A2s. I spent about $100 per weapon to build the stripped subgun lowers into M16 rifles, and I turned a bunch of non-working 635s into twice as many new M4s and perfectly reliable M16s. That was a good Armorer move...
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:06:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#10]
runs excellent with nato 124 ball sir....

have some new stuff inbound from federal to test...something like FMJ expanding?  something like that anyway....
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:30:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top