Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2005 10:23:14 AM EDT
Alright brothers, chime in..you firemen too.

What do ya'll do to rake in a little extra coin?

I teach....99% of my clients are in private industry.  Occasionally I'll do a civvie class or help out an LE agency if I can fit it into my schedule.

Then of course, there's the gravy wagon - Court Time.  Which I hate.  With a passion.

I'm always on the prowl for better ideas though.  I've toyed with getting an FFL for the last 10 years or so, but I never bite the bullet.  Too much hassle and no way I could compete with the big guys and I don't think doing $25 transfers is going to make me rich.

I was going to school to to get an RN degree and do contract ICU/ER work, as that is some deep coin and somewhat more reliable than teaching.  However, a nasty duty injury put that on hold recently and getting back into it is tough.

I have no desire for a 10,000 sq foot house, Ferraris or my own private island.  I'd be plenty happy if I can stay on track to get my mortgage paid off in the next three years, stuff some cash into investments and still have a little left over to spend on toys.

So, what sayeth you?

Sheep
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I work part time for a second agency
I am in the National Guard
And I have my FFL.
It all keeps me busy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Full time FF/Medic (City FD)
Licensed Electrician
Part-time HazMat enforcement/inspections
Part time FF / Engineer (Village Vol. FD)
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#3]
OT when I feel motivated and

A small illustration business on the side buys me some toys.

NorCal
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Licensed Electrician

Dammit...see, I KNEW I was in the wrong line.

Sheep
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Every so often I'll work overtime but a few days out of the month I have a couple of off-duty jobs that I work to mix things up a bit.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Licensed Electrician

Dammit...see, I KNEW I was in the wrong line.

Sheep

Yeah, tell that to my wife. She gets pissed because I'm "never home", but she's happy to spend the $$

Oh, wait...

She is my wife.

Disregard last. Situation normal.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Full-Time Police Dispatcher
Part-Time Firefighter
geting ready for police academy in september

in bout 7 months or so it will be....

full time peace officer
part time firefighter
gun nut
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:53:26 AM EDT
[#8]
TAG
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Overtime is my supplemental income.

I was averaging 38 hrs of OT a week last year between court (4 hr minimun - YAY!), call-outs and extra shifts.

But it just gets to a point that I am sick and fuckin tired of seeing the inside of a squad car.  And of course, every now and then, the City looks at our OT expenses, shits a brick and OT is verboten for 3-6 months.

One of my long-time friends is a fulltime FF/part-time RN...which is where I got the idea.  I think he pulled in about 200k last year.    Bastard.

Sheep
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Second job as a campus police officer for a local univeristy.

Funny, I make a about four more dollars an hour at the second job and I just got a raise this year from the county!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:54:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Overtime is my supplemental income.

I was averaging 38 hrs of OT a week last year between court (4 hr minimun - YAY!), call-outs and extra shifts.

But it just gets to a point that I am sick and fuckin tired of seeing the inside of a squad car.  And of course, every now and then, the City looks at our OT expenses, shits a brick and OT is verboten for 3-6 months.

One of my long-time friends is a fulltime FF/part-time RN...which is where I got the idea.  I think he pulled in about 200k last year.    Bastard.

Sheep

Got my RN degree in December and have been working ER since then; I'll be testing for Phoenix in the next few months and nursing will be my second job/job after LE retirement (I'll still be young in 20 years). It's a good one to fall back on- more than enough jobs out there for it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:56:14 AM EDT
[#13]
No time for a second job, hell the mandatory overtime is bad enough.  $41 something an hour and I dont even want it.   Did I mention I'm dang tired of dealing with crooks...

I wish they'd hurry up and hire some noobies so this mandatory OT would fall off a bit!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:05:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I had to cut back on my OT a little since I went back to school this year.  I'm taking one class a semester towards my MA, which takes usually about 15 hours a week between all the reading and writing.

OT is usually the random concert, some bike patrol (less since the mechanic quit and they refuse to fix anything anymore, I'm not riding a bike with two bent rims), a side security job (5 hours/week) and some occasional court time.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
No time for a second job, hell the mandatory overtime is bad enough.  $41 something an hour and I dont even want it.   Did I mention I'm dang tired of dealing with crooks...

You an me both.  Fuckin animals.

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Concealed Weapons Classes (NRA Instructor and LEO Instructor)
Part-Time Pizza Restaurant Manager (My brother owns several in a chain)
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I wish they'd hurry up and hire some noobies so this mandatory OT would fall off a bit!

Our PD gets OT for traffic court, and recertifications (radar / BA meter)

Our Fire Chief put the kibosh on all OT except his beloved fire prevention - our HazMat guys and Special Rescue (high angle / confined space, etc) let most of their certs lapse D/T no county drills.  (We're required to participate in x number of drills per year per specialty to maintain cert w/county)

Then he gets bent out of shape because we're not blessed anymore.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top