Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2005 7:35:38 PM EDT
Our department is going to purchase some supressors to outfit our 40 cal submachine guns to use in explosive environments such as meth labs, anybody got any experience with this or recommendations for a supressor that will not blow you up if you fire a weapon in this kind of situation?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:07:07 AM EDT
[#1]
No, we use multiple flash bangs on all suspected meth houses before entry!  
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#3]
perhaps subsonic ammo could reduce these risks/effects?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks guys
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a job for a tactical crossbow to me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Suppressors are nice and can be a great tool.  As far as using in a Meth Lab, a suppressor still will produce some flash, mostly inside the suppressor can, but still a flash.  This means that if the flammable vapor is heavy enough to ignite from a gunshot on a regular gun barrel, that it will most likely ingite while using a suppressor can.  In other words, if the flammable vapor is heavy enough in the air, a gunshot will ignite it even with a suppressor.

CY6,
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
Chief Instructor
TheDefensiveEdge.com  

+1.  And subsonic ammo won't really help the situation.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd be more concerned with the flash from the action port than any ignition from the barrel end.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#8]
It would seem this is a use where a "wet" type can would be superior to a dry can, correct?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#9]
it is actually the wet that we are looking at for a 40 cal MP5, BTW I love the flashbang idea!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:13:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
it is actually the wet that we are looking at for a 40 cal MP5, BTW I love the flashbang idea!

Not to stick my foot in my mouth, but I've seen MP5s shot before, and I've seen alot of flash come from the ejection port, not just the muzzle.   This was 9mm MP5s and MP5k I don't know about .40 HKs I've never shot nor seen shot those.  I'm just putting it out there.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:18:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to stick my foot in my mouth, but I've seen MP5s shot before, and I've seen alot of flash come from the ejection port, not just the muzzle.   This was 9mm MP5s and MP5k I don't know about .40 HKs I've never shot nor seen shot those.  I'm just putting it out there.

Thats actually a limitation on what would otherwise be GREAT supressors... noise from the other end (ejection port).

A couple of weeks ago, I went with a friend to test fire his "new" transferrable MP-5 that came with a supressor in the package deal.  The dealer mixed the ammo between sub-sonics and "Special K"... all the noise you heard was from the ejection port, and you could tell.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:23:57 AM EDT
[#12]
You guys need to get with Arms Tech or Sound Technology.  They both have cans and ammo specifically for this application.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#13]
As far as the port goes, I don't think you can get it to be flash free, so a reduction in flash would be better than having to fire an AR which puts out one hell of a flame.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top