Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2005 7:38:45 AM EDT
www.nynewsday.com/news/local/manhattan/nyc-cop0724,0,3819796,print.story

An off-duty police officer ended up on the wrong side of the law Friday night, shooting a man who had purposely knocked over the cop's beer in a lower Manhattan bar, police said Saturday.

The injured 23-year-old, whose name was not released, was taken to St. Vincent's Hospital Manhattan in stable condition, police said.

Bernard Marti, who is assigned to Harlem's 25th Precinct, was drinking in Cordato's Deli and Bar at 94 1/2 Greenwich St. at 10:30 p.m. Friday when a man knocked over Marti's beer, police sources said.

That man voluntarily bought Marti a new beer but intentionally knocked it over again, spilling it all over Marti's clothes, the sources said.

Marti took out his gun and showed it to the man, who swatted it away. The gun discharged and one round went into the man's left thigh, police said.

"He had to know he was in trouble right there," a police source said.

Marti hurried out of the bar and into his car, and was followed by people from the bar who saw the shooting. The people alerted nearby officers assigned to Homeless Outreach, and those officers pulled Marti over.

Marti was charged with assault and criminal possession of a weapon. He was immediately suspended without pay
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:41:13 AM EDT
[#1]
There must be more to the story.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Probably
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Morale of the Story.    Don't mess with someones beer

Morale of the strory proper.
Alcohol and guns don't mix.

Gotta be more to the story.      I hope.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Let's do the math

drinking+gun=stupid behavior

Nope, looks like it all adds up.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 12:59:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Would you like fries with that?
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let's do the math

drinking+gun=stupid behavior

Nope, looks like it all adds up.

+1
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like both sides got what they deserved.

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:48:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
We're our own worst enemy...

I hope that wasn't your drinking buddy.

Just kidding.  

I hear you.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#10]
One lapse in judgement.....

Good bye Job
Good bye Pension
Good Bye Career
Good Bye Reputation
Good Bye Bank Account
Good Bye Home

and most probably
Good Bye Freedom

I chose to say Good Bye Alcohol in 1996 and never ever looked back.

Regards,
Gary

If you choose to drink and choose to carry then please choose to just walk away when someone acts like a jerk in a bar.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't go to bars. Why? I arrest people who go to a lot of bars and I have no wish to have any further contact with them.

My dept has a wise policy of no sidearms anywhere near a bar off-duty. I don't go anywherewithout a gun therefore, my math says, bar - gun = no cmoth.

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:03:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I've never had an interest in going to a bar.  just not the place i'd like to go for a drink.  If/when i drink i host a party at my house , or go to a friends house.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:06:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Bastard, spilling a guy's beer.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:22:46 PM EDT
[#14]
If I drink I don't carry.  If I carry, I don't drink.  End of story.

We're not allowed to drink while carrying in NC anyway.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:34:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
There must be more to the story. hr

Oh yeah, the cop could not have possibly been an overbearing arrogant sonofabitch.  There is no way that he could have been in the wrong.  No chance of that at all.  After all he is a Cop and all.

I am sure an internal investigation will exonerate him of any wrong doing.  No really.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:52:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh yeah, the cop could not have possibly been an overbearing arrogant sonofabitch.  There is no way that he could have been in the wrong.  No chance of that at all.  After all he is a Cop and all.

I am sure an internal investigation will exonerate him of any wrong doing.  No really.

And there is no way that you could be so stupid as to come to a cop board and slam cops is there?

Oh wait....I guess you already did. Why don't you take yourself on over to General Discussion there are plenty of your type over there. You know, the ones who don't trust the media to report the whole story UNLESS the story has to do with LE malfeasance and then you weak minded fools are ready to believe every word.

Those of us who live and work in the real world realize that there is usually more than one side to a story and we hold off on rushing to judgement until we get both sides. But you keep on doing whatever it is you're doing. Moron.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:51:13 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There must be more to the story. hr

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:18:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please try to remember that no one here would want to serve next to an individual who would exercise such poor judgement as was "apparantly" displayed here.  Also, please try to remember that often times there is another side to the story.  As is often the case, the "brutality" seen at the end of the video tape is precipitated by the behavior of the subject at the begining of the video tape.  Funny thing is, we never ever see the begining of the tape til trial. The media will craft the news to fit their view of the parties being covered.  I know this may come as a shock to you but many in the media tend to list a bit to the left.  Their view of LE is shall we say, a bit bias.  

Hope this helps you to better understand the views of this forum.  Do stop back again anytime.

Regards,
Gary

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#19]
OLNACL

At least this troll showed it's true colors quickly.....
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#20]
MQAdmin
Post Number :: 21
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Knock my beer over and see what happens
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
OLNACL

Excuse me? Are you calling me a troll? Please explain your accusation. I really want to know how a person who has been a police officer for 13 years becomes labeled a troll for pointing out that there are two sides to every story and the media very rarely gets the story right. If that makes me a troll, then so be it.  And if you are one of those who believes the articles in the paper contain all of the facts and no reporter spins a report to their own bias then you are as much of a moron as MQAdmin.

And what the hell does my registration date have to do with anything? Maybe you might have noticed that there was quite an influx of new members here in June/July as many LEO's left Glocktalk to come here after it was taken over by the anti police faction.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OLNACL

Excuse me? Are you calling me a troll? Please explain your accusation. I really want to know how a person who has been a police officer for 13 years becomes labeled a troll for pointing out that there are two sides to every story and the media very rarely gets the story right. If that makes me a troll, then so be it.  And if you are one of those who believes the articles in the paper contain all of the facts and no reporter spins a report to their own bias then you are as much of a moron as MQAdmin.

And what the hell does my registration date have to do with anything? Maybe you might have noticed that there was quite an influx of new members here in June/July as many LEO's left Glocktalk to come here after it was taken over by the anti police faction.

Thread hijack for a moment,  What's this about Glocktalk?  (I've never been there,  but if there are anti-police bigots around I need to.)  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#24]
There was a period of about a month, 6 weeks where the anti's just took over the CopTalk section of the message board.  

Fortunately the moderators fnally stepped in and quashed the the most vocal and hateful of that faction. Since then it has been better and we have returned to having good discussions (for the most part).

There are still a few over there who you would have fun with though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OLNACL

I think this might be a typo.  Looks like he grabbed your info instead of the other guys.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Knock my beer over and see what happens

Great, the "to do" list gets longer....................
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
OLNACL

Trippletap,

You may want to edit this error.  

Regards,
Gary
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top