Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2005 8:05:15 PM EDT
I pull up to a traffic light.  In front of me is a police officer with a partner.  The light lasts for 2 or three minutes.  When it goes green, the man puts on his squad car lights, rolls down the window, and puts his left arm above the roof of the car, with his index finger pointing to the right.

I calmly and quickly followed him to the right, pulled over, put it in park, shut the engine off, rolled down the window, and put my hands on the steering wheel.

I answered yes sir, no sir to all questions.

Got a ticket for no seatbelt.

Anyway, I found it odd, to say the least.  

Have any of you pulled over someone like that?
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#1]
BTW, I thought to myself, most people probably would not even have known what to do.  I knew he what he was doing by the way he was eye-fucking me through the mirror.

My girlfriend in the passenger seat said she had no clue what was going on, and that she would have attempted to change lanes to the left and continue on her way.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Never seen that happen around here.

What I *DO* see is the cop moving into the other lane, letting the other car pass, then immedietly hit the lights and move back in behind them.  Which makes a hell of a lot more sense to me, but as I'm sure to be told, I'm not a cop, so I wouldn't understand.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Simply an unsafe method, especially for some dumbass seatbelt ticket.

Maybe he smelled your username?
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:06:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, he stayed ahead of me, and got out of his patrol car and came back to my car.  I thought that was particularly "non-tactical" of him.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 3:19:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I have. Usually though, it's when I'm stopping two cars at once. Get the one in front, the one behind naturally slows down as you passed them, and I just get out and motion them over as they approach. I've done it lots of times. I've also stopped and walked back to the car behind me to deal with stuff, too.

But I don't think I ever pulled over just one car while in traffic from a position in front of it. I'd wait until they got around me, then light 'em up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:57:42 AM EDT
[#6]
basically an unsafe stop and puts the officer at more of tactical disadvantage than he is already at in a traffic stop.  Bad move.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:03:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll have to remember this thread next time I'm keeping pace with an officer of the law that's doing 80mph on the highway without his lights on.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:17:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I did have a delayed hit once on a stolen, the hit returned to my screen and I didn't think too much of it since a lot of other DOL & NCIC info was coming back real slow. Anyways, I get the stolen hit thinking this car is long gone  and I just happen to browse in my rearview and there it is behind me, just cruising down the avenue. It made for an intersting broadcast to advise that I was in front of an occupied rolling stolen  
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:06:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Shit happens when you are watching traffic but a seatbelt violation...nope.  I'll glare at you and tug my shoulder belt, though.

That's what the guys on the fancy bike get paid for.

NorCal
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'll have to remember this thread next time I'm keeping pace with an officer of the law that's doing 80mph on the highway without his lights on.

Please do.

Those are the folks I love to pull over once I get disregarded from an urgent call, or when the officer who's not been answering his status checks on the radio finally keys up and let us all know he's ok.

Although you might get a break if you're trying to get your bulldozer to a construction site before the plumbers.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please do.

Those are the folks I love to pull over once I get disregarded from an urgent call, or when the officer who's not been answering his status checks on the radio finally keys up and let us all know he's ok.

Although you might get a break if you're trying to get your bulldozer to a construction site before the plumbers.

You beat me to it!  I did just that the other morning heading home.  Some college kid started to pass me on the interstate. So I flash him with my overheads. HE THEN POINTED TO HIS RADAR DETECTOR AND GRINNED.  So, I turned on MY radar and pulled him over. Geeeeezzz  He didn't have to much to say . . . . . . .
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please do.

You beat me to it!  I did just that the other morning heading home.  Some college kid started to pass me on the interstate. So I flash him with my overheads. HE THEN POINTED TO HIS RADAR DETECTOR AND GRINNED.  So, I turned on MY radar and pulled him over. Geeeeezzz  He didn't have to much to say . . . . . . .

What a dipshit.  Hope you wrote him.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes indeed.  I was a tad shocked/pissed at the notion . . . .      

It was a first for me.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please do.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:49:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Nevermind . . . . .
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:50:53 AM EDT
[#17]
And it's often safer to do 80 without lights than with. People freak out when they see lights. Sometimes you need to hurry but not quite so much as to flip on the blinkies. (I'm not an LEO)

On topic, I saw a KS State Trooper pull over two people at once. One in front of him one behind. It was quite a feat. It took some skill from him. The guy in front was a complete dick, mouthed off, and ended up getting arrested. The guy behind was polite and respectful, just got a ticket. (I was the guy behind).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top