Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2005 10:52:59 PM EDT
(assuming you work on a department that's small enough to not have a bureaucracy) consider getting a second duty belt and gear to carry a revolver?

I've always thought it'd be old-school to carry a 4" Smith Model 19 and a couple of speed-loaders.

As silly as this question is, it really could be considered a GD post but thought it more appropriate in this section.

Scott
(longing to look like a "duffer" even if only for short periods of time)
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#1]
My dept. is 1200 Sworn and counting.

We are required to wear our Safriland leather and our Sigs.

My old dept was 75 sworn and they carried Glocks (I miss it there!)

So to answer your question "no" the thought has never crossed "my" mind.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:20:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
(assuming you work on a department that's small enough to not have a bureaucracy) consider getting a second duty belt and gear to carry a revolver?

I've always thought it'd be old-school to carry a 4" Smith Model 19 and a couple of speed-loaders.

As silly as this question is, it really could be considered a GD post but thought it more appropriate in this section.

Scott
(longing to look like a "duffer" even if only for short periods of time)

We have officer purchase here.  That said,  I only know two officers that carry revolvers.  Both are older than dirt and neither work patrol.

Over time you will collect extra duty belts and odds and ends.  I could probably come up with half a dozen if I dug around in the closet, some for revolvers.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:49:04 AM EDT
[#3]
No longer authorized by my Dept. (but I'm still thinking of carrying one as a backup-backup)
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I know two guys who still carry revolvers.  Both work for small local departments (not the same one), both are on the older side and both still work patrol.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I know a few officers that carry revolvers here, including the Sheriff himself. A lot of guys carry a S&W airweight as a backup, that thought has crossed my mind.
The thought of a second belt to have a revolver never crossed my mind, I'll stick with my H&K thanks. I can't think of any revolvers that I would even want to carry as a duty gun.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:37:54 AM EDT
[#6]
My dept is about 100 total personnel, with only about 40 of us sworn.

We are allowed to carry revolvers, as long as they are .357 or above. We actually have a section of our policy manual devoted to it.

ETA: None of us do, by the way.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:36:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I started out with wheelguns; still have my old leather rig, tho' it doesn't fit so well anymore. I don't see a need to revisit the old days gear-wise.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 11:18:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Gotta carry our issued sigs here.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Started out with the wheel gun - S&W mod 686, about the only thing I miss is night shooting full load 357 mag.    
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I still have my 686 as well and why would I trade my G22 for that heavy hogleg?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:35:52 PM EDT
[#11]
The last department I worked for allowed revolvers, knowing I would be leaving soon I wanted to carry my Uncles service Revolver that he had used many moons ago when he was a County Dep. So I qualified with it during our last range, one just to see if I could do it (  damn reloads are a bitch when your used to mags ) and just incase I got a burr up my butt to carry it. So on the second to last day I was there I took me Glock off my nylon duty belt and slapped on the leather holster and my uncles S&W Mol. 19 .357. Looked goofy but at least now I can say that yes I did carry a revolver on duty.

On a side note we had an auxiliary Officer that was in his late seventies the revolver ( Colt I think) he used was older that my Father, I always teased him that he could not work in the rain because his powder horn for that damn thing might get wet.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#12]
When I started, back in the last ice age, revolvers were required by my department.  VERY few depts had autos.  

Last year I did a three month rotation on day shift, (icky!) in rememberance of the 20 years I've got on the job, I switched over to my old 4 inch Python.  God, I forgot how heavy that anchor was.
When I went back to nights, with the paying customers, I went back to Sig.

It was kinda cool, and qualifying with magnums was harder than I remembered.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Started as an LEO in 1979.  Carried a 6" Colt Python in a swivel holster.  Two speed loader pouches and a dump pouch with a speed strip in it.  Two sets of handcuffs, ring for the flashlight, back pocket for the huge portable radio, and the leather sap in the other back pocket.  Night stick was made of real wood and usually sat in the squad unless the call was really nasty.  The knife I carried didn't have a pocket clip.  One pair of sap gloves always rode on the dash.  (some parts of the old days I really miss).

The squads went "really" fast, had no stobes, and sometimes only one red light on the roof.  My squad didn't even have a cage because the sheriff didn't want the prisoners to feel like animals.  Politics even back then I guess.  Back then if you called for back-up you were thought of as a "pussy".  

Backup guns were ususally S&W .38 specials carrying lead wadcutters inverted backwards.  Awesome hollowpoint.

Times have sure changed.  Fond memories.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top