Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2005 10:59:21 AM EDT
What training courses have you been to that you would recommend to other officers?  I'm looking for training in the midwest in particular but am interested in training in general.  If you have web sites please post those.  

Anyone who is looking for training but has a hard time taking off....take a look at www.thebackup.com.  They have some really good training courses that you can take on CD and they are really reasonable.  They also meet POST requirements in many states.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#1]
One of the best: Jim Crews www.marksmans.com from Montana. Jim is POST certified in some states, travels for classes (I took one with him in MA last year). Jim also publishes some of the best tactical training manuals out there.

Gabe Suarez www.suarezinternational.com/ is another excellent instructor from AZ who will be traveling all around the US, Europe, Central and South America, etc. this year.

Jeff Gonzales www.tridentconcepts.com likewise will be traveling the US.

Randy Cain www.guntactics.com/ also is traveling this year.

I've taken a 3 day course with Jim Crews in 2004 and I'm scheduled to take a 4-day with Gabe Suarez and 3-day with Randy Cain this year.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#2]
As an instructor, the best course I've been to is the NRA patrol rifle instructor class.  Our instructor was Clive Sheppard.  The man did an excellent job instructing instructors and would make us think outside the box to win a gunfight.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd recommend just about anything at the Sioux City Regional Training Center, Sioux City, IA. It's all free. All your department has to do is give you the time off and get you there. The tuition, materials, lodging and per diem are paid by the RTC. With guest instructors and a couple in-home staff, they offer tons of great classes: from Survival Spanish to interviewing techniques to Force-on-Force with simunitions.

Last I heard, they're in danger of their Federal Grants running out, so use it while you can!

I've taken Reid's Street Crimes; the Sioux City RTC's Street To Range shooting course; Kinesic Inteview and Interrogation Iⅈ Intelicon's Deviant Groups, Movements, Cults and Religions; and I'm scheduled for the Criminal Interdiction class in October.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I went through Sully's M16/AR15 Armorer & Instructor course in April.  The class was excellent and Sully's instruction was top notch.  He's been written up for the class in SWAT Magazine and his stock was also in another article.  I'd probably shoot him an e-mail to see what LE classes he's got coming up and where, as I don't think all of them get listed on the website.  Here's a link to his website, and he's also in the Industry Forums.

Defensive Edge

Post edited to correct error in Web address.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#5]
anything by Tactical response.

www.tacticalresponse.com
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like Iowa has lots of free training options!!  I've been up there once but it looks like I need to get back up there!! It also looks like you need to register early otherwise you lose your chance for the entire year!!

Thanks and keep them coming!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Not sure if they still do it, but the military use to offer courses for LEO's.

Very good and usually free, except for room and board. I believe it was called JTF training. Everything from basic swat, sniper, executive protection, etc.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:10:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'd recommend just about anything at the Sioux City Regional Training Center, Sioux City, IA. It's all free. All your department has to do is give you the time off and get you there. The tuition, materials, lodging and per diem are paid by the RTC. With guest instructors and a couple in-home staff, they offer tons of great classes: from Survival Spanish to interviewing techniques to Force-on-Force with simunitions.

Last I heard, they're in danger of their Federal Grants running out, so use it while you can!

I've taken Reid's Street Crimes; the Sioux City RTC's Street To Range shooting course; Kinesic Inteview and Interrogation Iⅈ Intelicon's Deviant Groups, Movements, Cults and Religions; and I'm scheduled for the Criminal Interdiction class in October.

Yes they are shutting down at the end of this year, almost all of the classes are filled and last I heard the waiting list is long for all the worth while classes.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:48:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Not firearms related but one of the best and most useful classes I have taken in a long time. The class is lock picking 101. So far I have about 10 in the field picks. About half on search warrants and the other half divided between locked containers and welfare checks. It is a lot nicer to pick someones locks on the house to see if grandma is alive than to kick the door in.

They guy that teaches it is a Cop in California. If he can teach me to do this he can teach anyone.

www.carey-assoc-intl.com/covert_entry.htm
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:23:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Calibre Press Street Survival Seminars. Good reality training.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Anything involving the Reid Technique is great.  

Reid Technique
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
As an instructor, the best course I've been to is the NRA patrol rifle instructor class.  Our instructor was Clive Sheppard.  The man did an excellent job instructing instructors and would make us think outside the box to win a gunfight.

+1 on the patrol rifle instructor class. I just finished one in Alabama, with Ken Vogel & Jerry Lane as the instructors, & I would highly recommend it to anyone who is going to be teaching patrol rifle.
The whole class is geared to teaching patrol officers who have little or no experience with rifles how to win a gunfight....

The class was good enough that we are looking into hosting one here in WNC if we can work out the details.

ETA: Anything taught by Phil Singleton too.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top