Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2005 12:25:34 PM EDT
my lab ate my Hatch cloves & my Hatch leather "dress" gloves last night. the GF was suposed to be on "dog duty" but fell asleep at her post. i came down stairs to see my shit scattered all over the place in pieces. the lab took one look at me and bolted for cover. she also totaled my favorite HK shooting hat.

also had a couple of close calls; came down stairs (once again GF was supposed to be watching her) my dog had my leather duty gear all sprawled out on the floor ready for chomping.

and finally, once my fucking ferrets stole my Glock! had all my shit laid out (getting gear ready for my shift). the slide was locked back, no mag in.  i went to the shitter came back and the fucking thing was gone! forgot i had the ferrets out and couldn't find the damn gun, finally i realized those assholes took it, it has a rubber grip they used to bite on. sure enough it was under the couch.

well, lets hear 'em.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#1]
My guns and gear are my pets.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#2]
My damn dog got a jacket off my front seat, drug it into his cage and chewed it up while I was out of the car dealing with someone.

Damn dog.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a dog that ate about $450 worth of paintball gear.  Mask, harness, pads, etc.  Pissed, I was pissed.  But, what can you do?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
my lab ate my Hatch cloves & my Hatch leather "dress" gloves last night. the GF was suposed to be on "dog duty" but fell asleep at her post. i came down stairs to see my shit scattered all over the place in pieces. the lab took one look at me and bolted for cover. she also totaled my favorite HK shooting hat.

also had a couple of close calls; came down stairs (once again GF was supposed to be watching her) my dog had my leather duty gear all sprawled out on the floor ready for chomping.

and finally, once my fucking ferrets stole my Glock! had all my shit laid out (getting gear ready for my shift). the slide was locked back, no mag in.  i went to the shitter came back and the fucking thing was gone! forgot i had the ferrets out and couldn't find the damn gun, finally i realized those assholes took it, it has a rubber grip they used to bite on. sure enough it was under the couch.

well, lets hear 'em.

The ferret was trying to shoot you
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I lost a nice 2in. wide 2in. tall chunk of lip to an angry mutt!!!!!!!!

I still have a 223 with his name on it!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Perhaps an equally valid question might be, "How many here lost chew crazed pets to pricey gear?"  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Most recently, a pair of almost new Oakley's to a boxer.  She doesn't live with me anymore.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Never lost any gear, but when my Boston Terrier was a puppy, she destroyed a rocking chair my grandfather had built before WW2.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:19:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Lost my nursing shoes to the neighbors dog! Spent over $100 on them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:21:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Opps, hopefully I can post in here NREMT-P also!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:03:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I worked K9 unit for several years and still have a retired K9 as a family pet. They never tell you the little things about working with K9's like being trapped in a patrol car with a German Shepherd in the back seat who has a case of the puppy-farts that night

Here's a tip for big dogs and even I didn't believe it when another K9 officer told it to me but I swear it works...

Plastic 2-liter Pepsi (Coke, Sprite Dr Pepper, or whatever) bottles. Empty the bottle, tear off the label and discard the cap so they don't swallow it but the damn dogs LOVE to crunch on those things! They will amuse themselves for hours chewing on the plastic and the bottles are nearly indestructable. I swear to God this is true. The first thing they will do is to flatten the bottle by chewing on it and then they will chew on it some more, but even my 122 lb German Shepherd can't tear one apart because the plastic is flexible. (See my "User Info", he hates that picture because it makes him look fat!) If you have a smaller dog, then get one of the 20 oz or 16 oz bottles instead and do the same thing. After a few days, discard the old bottle and give them a fresh one. They're free with the purchase of every bottle of soda!

Dogs are like kids, but they are caught in perpetual childhood to some degree. THEY NEED TOYS or else they will find things and MAKE IT THEIR TOY (like your boots, jackets, etc) and they get bored. Most chewing is caused by boredom and/or separation anxiety (they're pack animals, YOU are alpha leader to them, and they don't like being separated from the pack or separated from YOU) so they have to have something to play with while you are gone. That's why they'll chew up something of YOURS when you're away from them because it smells like YOU and it reminds them of YOU. They need toys and lots of them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:58:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Plastic 2-liter Pepsi (Coke, Sprite Dr Pepper, or whatever) bottles. Empty the bottle, tear off the label and discard the cap so they don't swallow it but the damn dogs LOVE to crunch on those things! They will amuse themselves for hours chewing on the plastic and the bottles are nearly indestructable. I swear to God this is true.

+1
I used to give my Lab empty peanut butter jars. She would be happy chewing on them for hours. Never tried a soda bottle.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I have never lost duty gear to one of my dogs. Many remote controls and a couch. He was not happy with just eating it he spray painted it. Bright lime green. We left a can of spray paint on the coffe table with the lid/cover on it. Came home the couch and the dog had lime green streaks on it. Best friend I ever had. He is in doggie heaven now. He was a east german bloodline german sheapherd. My kids used him to learn to walk, as a chair you name it. He was as much their mother as their real one. He got two burglars...bad. He was fearless in protection of his kids. Was the couch and remote controls worth it...MANY times more. I wish I could afford anither one now.
Besides the pop bottle another good trick is to get a nylabone. When you leave rub your hands all over it and leave it down. It will have your strongest scent. Never lost another remote after started doing that.  
Oh just remebered a lont time ago I lost a slapper to another shepheard.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:39:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a Pygmy Billy Goat that did a tap dance on the hood of my patrol car,  once!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:56:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Must be something about Hatch Gloves.  I've got a Great Pyrenees who is still munching.

He got my Hatch's also.  Found them in tiny shards all over the living room along with a favorite old Stetson.  The Stetson lived but is permanently slimed.  Didn't catch him in the act so there wasn't much I could do to correct him.  He'd pulled out my pack and emptied it looking for tasty morsels.  All was strewn about the floor but the gloves and hat were all he worked on.

He also got two Chess Pies off the kitchen counter and scarfed those down to crumbs.  Those he paid for, spending much of the day frapping disgusting sprays of poot all over the side yard.  

I use the empty plastic cocola bottles too.  He loves those things.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:56:48 AM EDT
[#16]
my boston started chewing on my blackhawk nomex gloves. he only had a part of the trigger finger so since it has the removable stitching for that finger, i just took it off

J
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:17:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#18]
TOYS TOYS TOYS...  My black Lab has never chewed any gear or furniture.  I have lost one slipper to him though.  He gets a constant supply of Nylabones and other "chew" type toys.

Another thing that you can try is a correction collar.  I have one with a remote control that emits a shock (like a 9v battery on the tongue) when I want.  Plus the levels of shock can be adjusted.  The dog does not associate the "correction" with you and it works WONDERS!!!

my .02
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Wife and I decided to paint a spare bedroom, had picked a bucket of Hardee's Fried Chicken for lunch.  We finished painting late in the afternoon, and just tossed the rollers in the trash, on top of chicken bones, before cleaning up to go out for dinner with friends.  Come home a few hours later to find one very happy lab, who didn't realise he been caught.  Dog's face, ears, and front paws were covered in "Burnt Almond."  Amazingly, he had only pushed the rollers to the side, to get to the chicken, no mess, I just had to turn the trash can back up right.  The kitchen trash now has a lid, and he's never been back into the trash since.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#20]
One boot has been chewed up and I'm missing one glove...  I guess he got that too.  I'll try the coke bottle tomorrow!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top