Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2005 12:09:36 PM EDT
I see a lot of local departments that have an outer vest that holds their armor in it and also has pouches for mags, oc, lights, etc.  It looks like a shirt more or less and goes over their uniform shirt.  Usually the same cover.  Anyone no of companies that sell these and/or websites with these on them.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#1]
J G Uniform Inc
(773) 545-4644
5949 West Irving Park Rd
Chicago, IL 60634

They'll make it in any color, to fit any vest, and with any accessory pockets you can dream of. Around $85 or so for a basic one that has the appearance of a uniform shirt.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
J G Uniform Inc
(773) 545-4644
5949 West Irving Park Rd
Chicago, IL 60634

They'll make it in any color, to fit any vest, and with any accessory pockets you can dream of. Around $85 or so for a basic one that has the appearance of a uniform shirt.

I think any panel covers will have to be custom made because of different brand designs/sizes.
I do like the idea of having a cover with the appearance of a uniform shirt.  

Maybe a tact vest from Black Hawk or Eagle might be the way to go.

www.eagleindustries.com/welcome.asp

www.blackhawkindustries.com/product_catalog.asp?cat_id=7&d=
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:32:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Streichers carries the exact item you describe, although it does not appear in their catalog or on their website.  I've been to their showroom in Minneapolis and have seen it there (kind of spendy if I recall correctly, $110 or $120).  Give them a call.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:30:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Point Blank used to have carriers like that. They were not very successful, not in my region anyway. I am not sure if they still make them or not.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Point Blank used to have carriers like that. They were not very successful, not in my region anyway. I am not sure if they still make them or not.

I just saw one in the new Galls catalog.  I'll see if I can find it online.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I don't see myself wearing one in town, it might be a bit goofy.  It would come in handy when walking out trails in the summer so I could just peel it off when I get back in my vehicle to cool off.  The biggest advantage is being able to tear it off if I fell into the Rio Grande while checking crossings.  I usually pull off my belt keepers when I check em.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:52:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I see a lot of local departments that have an outer vest that holds their armor in it and also has pouches for mags, oc, lights, etc.  It looks like a shirt more or less and goes over their uniform shirt.  Usually the same cover.  Anyone no of companies that sell these and/or websites with these on them.
Thanks in advance for any help.

JG Uniform is OK, as I had them make my last outside vest carrier. However, my current carrier (and also the one I was fitted for last week) is by Nate's Leather on 63RD Avenue in Chicago. If you want, I can find the number for them. They also have a website. Nate's does all of Chicago PD's outside carriers and I have found them to be more heavy duty and better made.

The outside carriers are GREAT. I will never wear my vest again on under my uniform shirt. Plus, in an emergency call out situation, all you have to do is grab you duty belt and your outside carrier and go, no need to put on the vest, just slid the carrier over your head and affix the one side and you are good. This is what I do, adjust one side of the carrier (both sides have HD Velcro style fastners) and always leave this one sdie affixed, and then just use the other side to put on and take off the carrier, this way you only have to  velcro one side on. Some say the Velcro is waek, but in 3 years of wearing both the JG Uniform and the Nate's carrier, I have yet to have either side of the velcro even come remotely close to loosening.

As for the 'premade' carriers sold by Galls and other catalogs, dont buy them .Go the JG or Nates and have the carriers custom fitted to your body and your vest panels. JG and Nates will take you chest and waist measurements and then will have you try on your vest and will take more measurements. They will then t ake the panels out from your vest and custom trace the panels onto material that will be used to custome make and custom fit your carrier.

BTW: I have a brand new unused Nate's carrier in dark police blue if anyone wants it for themselves or to display as a sample to their supervisors for permission of use . They go for about $85 new, willing to sell for $40.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top