Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2005 12:03:58 AM EDT
www.newsnet5.com/news/4051780/detail.html

Police Find Stolen Radio, Other Police Paraphernalia

POSTED: 7:12 pm EST January 5, 2005

CLEVELAND -- A Parma man is facing charges after he impersonated a police officer, and is caught by a real police officer he tried to pull over.

Micahel Gustafson, 50, faces a five-count grand jury indictment stemming from the Dec. 17 incident.

According to police, Gustafson put a blinking blue police light on his dashboard at around 2:30 a.m. He then shined a high-beam flashlight at a woman in a car at the intersection of East 110th Street and St. Clair, in Cleveland.

Gustafson reportedly told the woman he was a police officer, and that he stopped her for driving erratically.

However, the woman turned out to be a Cleveland police detective, and she quickly called for backup.

Police found Gustafson was carrying a gun and had a stolen police radio in his car. A search of his home also revealed more police and law enforcement paraphernalia.

Gustafson faces five counts, including impersonating a police officer and carrying a concealed weapon.

Idiot got what he deserved.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:17:39 AM EDT
[#1]
+1
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:10:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Got a guy doing that around NoVA right now.  Hoping he pulls over one of our women shooters and gets his ass shot.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:20:37 AM EDT
[#3]
he should of been listening to that stolen radio for the her responding units. what a dip shit.

J
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:21:58 AM EDT
[#4]
People like that make me sick.  I hope he gets whats coming to him when he visits the county.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:23:31 AM EDT
[#5]
What an idiot!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:45:54 AM EDT
[#6]
So will he be hated in prison like a real cop would be?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:10:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Retarded wannabe LEO.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:41:14 AM EDT
[#10]
This just happened here on Long Island yesterday.  Some nut in an SUV driving around with lights and a siren.  Shot and killed a bank manager he pulled over.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Retard wannabe.

quoted before you realize your freudian slip and edit it!

You bastage!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#13]
We had a couple of kids do the same thing here in AZ.  And there's a guy in Mesa doing this right now.  I don't think they've caught him yet.

I can't imagine some imbecile actually WANTING to initiate a traffic stop without your position being known by dispatch and the other guys on your squad.

It would be humorous if the fake cops got the dog shit beaten out of them by the real criminals.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#14]
We have had a few idiots doing that where I work.  

I actually got in a pursuit with one and he lost me because he had a police scanner.  Another cop got him the same night and I wrote him 9 citations.  The other officer took him for impersonating and a weapons charge.  

The idiot had a female passenger.  He was out on a date with her.  The guy had a badge and gun.  She thought he was a real cop.  One citation was for Reckless Driving for putting her life in danger running from the cops.  

The judge gave him the option of a few years in jail or the service.  He chose the Navy.  

I hope the service helped become a man.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:26:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Colt_SBR he ran from you and didn't get T15'd for felony fleeing and eluding? I could understand if you couldn't ID, but if you can't ID for the fleeing how could you ID for the Reckless? not trying to slam you but it sounds like you had a good felony that needed to take the ride and he got off with some tickets.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The judge gave him the option of a few years in jail or the service.  He chose the Navy.  

those were the days...
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#18]
There was an adult male doing that here a couple of years ago. The media nick named him the blue light rapist. I do not remember if he was caught or not, but I do remember police officers going on radio talk shows advising women to continue driving until they reached a safe place to pull over ( meaning well lit and with people around) if they suspected anything when a blue light came on behind them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:12:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
There was an adult male doing that here a couple of years ago. The media nick named him the blue light rapist. I do not remember if he was caught or not, but I do remember police officers going on radio talk shows advising women to continue driving until they reached a safe place to pull over ( meaning well lit and with people around) if they suspected anything when a blue light came on behind them.

I think that was on America's Most Wanted a long time ago....and i think they did catch him
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:12:57 AM EDT
[#20]
lucky the female detective didn't use some of her schweeet ninja skillz the she learned from the force.   He might have had a blue light eminating from his bunghole.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:17:58 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Colt_SBR he ran from you and didn't get T15'd for felony fleeing and eluding? I could understand if you couldn't ID, but if you can't ID for the fleeing how could you ID for the Reckless? not trying to slam you but it sounds like you had a good felony that needed to take the ride and he got off with some tickets.

I'm guessing he was charged with the felony. Felony = option of a few years in jail

Quoted:

The judge gave him the option of a few years in jail or the service.  

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:32:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I saw a guy pull some woman over on the way home the other day that was driving a Chevy Astro type van with flashing lights in the grill.  There's no way in hell that guy would have gotten me to pull over for anything.  If the car trying to pull me over doesn't have red and/or blue lights flashing on the roof (or otherwise blatantly obvious that it's a police car), I aint pulling over.  I'll wait for him to call backup and bring a real car to do it, or if I'm close to a police station, I'll pull in there.  My wife has been given the same instructions.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I saw a guy pull some woman over on the way home the other day that was driving a Chevy Astro type van with flashing lights in the grill.  There's no way in hell that guy would have gotten me to pull over for anything.  If the car trying to pull me over doesn't have red and/or blue lights flashing on the roof (or otherwise blatantly obvious that it's a police car), I aint pulling over.  I'll wait for him to call backup and bring a real car to do it, or if I'm close to a police station, I'll pull in there.  My wife has been given the same instructions.  

That's the right thing, TallGuy.  Public locations with lots of people around (gas stations) are also acceptable.  Since last July my squad car has been an unmarked, gun-metal blue Jeep Cherokee, tinted windows in the back for the dog, and Dept. license plates as the only police ID.  -Four corner strobes, visor strobe, and two strobes in the rear window.  I wear a full uniform.  It's AMAZED me how many people immediately pull over for it.  I've only had two people head to a gas station because they were unsure.  It's been a wonderful tool for road ragers/reckless drivers but I'm having to give it up for a Crown Vic because I've moved to the night shift.  (No spot light on the Jeep and my employer doesn't run the covert cars after dark.)   No real cop gets pissed at people who are leary of an unmarked car.   (EDIT:  OK there have been some who do, but they're idiots who get too excited.)
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
lucky the female detective didn't use some of her schweeet ninja skillz the she learned from the force.   He might have had a blue light eminating from his bunghole.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Npd233

Well since Colt_SBR said the twit was arrested by the other Officer for Impersonating and a Weapons charge. That could be the "few years" the Judge was talking about. In Florida a Felony like Fleeing is not just issued traffic citations. Like I said before I was not trying to be an ass or disrespect Colt_SBR. I've only been doing this for three years and I am always learing. If someone can answer a question that will help me do a better job I'd appreciate it. Likewise if someone needs help and there is something I can do, I will.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:40:31 PM EDT
[#26]

unmarked, gun-metal blue Jeep Cherokee

I have a problem with unmarked cars that don't look like police cars.  An LTD is one thing, but a Jeep?  The local police have started using cars that are unsuitable for police work, like the little, front-wheel drive Impalas and Intrepids.  I've heard a few officers complain about the trouble they run into trying to get people to stop.  At least they did stop using their 300Z, Oldsmobile Delta 88, and Ford pickup.z
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:44:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I've been doing this stuff for 22 1/2 years.  "Oh my God, has it been that long."    

In Florida, fleeing and eluding hasn't always been a felony.  It's always been criminal but only a misdemeanor.  They changed it a to a felony only after a few real bad crashes involving deaths.  They have actually changes the criteria for the felony fleeing a few times also.  

The other officer had PC to pull over the car because of the description from my earlier encounter.  I ID'ed the driver through the female passenger and his own admissions (before and after Miranda).  

I understand the reason your question and I knew you meant no disrespect.  I used to be a FTO and was always happy when my trainee asked questions.  It showed, he/she was interested in the job and wanted to learn.  

I've also learned alot from the new recruits.  They're up on the newest laws and procedures, us old guys may not know.  

OneDozen Glad your inquisitive and keep up the good work.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:05:37 AM EDT
[#28]
... and the lemming award goes to...  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:34:34 AM EDT
[#29]
 Dumbass, he deserves the max!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I have a problem with unmarked cars that don't look like police cars.  An LTD is one thing, but a Jeep?  The local police have started using cars that are unsuitable for police work, like the little, front-wheel drive Impalas and Intrepids.  I've heard a few officers complain about the trouble they run into trying to get people to stop.  At least they did stop using their 300Z, Oldsmobile Delta 88, and Ford pickup.z

Not wanting to start a fight here, (I'm really not.) but, what's the problem?   Unmarked squad cars of whatever ilk cause police impersonators like AK-47's cause bank robberies.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:33:03 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

What kind of problem are you having with these cars? Are they stopping you that often that it's creating a problem? Are you getting caught doing something that's not legal? If so, then those cars stopping you would actually then be considered "SUITABLE" for police work, if they are effective in helping enforce laws.

As for you not believing they're "real" police? Simple... if you would like to continue to a more populated area, or even to the police station, slow down, put your hazard flashers on, and drive to that location. If you have a cell phone, call 911, tell them there is a plain car behind you trying to pull you over, and dispatch will be able to either confirm it's a real police vehicle or dispatch a marked unit to either assist the real police, or to investigate if it's an impersonator.

Do you also think that narcotic enforcement officers should wear police uniforms when they're doing their investigations and controlled drug buys?

Also, FYI, the little Impalas and Intrepids you speak of... ARE in fact designed for heavy duty or pursuit type police work. LTD? Is your name Rip Van Winkle?

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#32]

npd233
Team Member

Exactly
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Colt_SBR     Thankyou for taking the time to answer my question, and also realizing I wasn't trying to ba an ass.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:03:15 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

npd233
Team Member

Exactly

Your point?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#35]
My point is that unmarked Police vehicle do have it's purpose in law enforcement.  
I was agreeing w/your statement.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 3:34:48 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
My point is that unmarked Police vehicle do have it's purpose in law enforcement.  
I was agreeing w/your statement.

Copy.. couldn't tell. Thought you were commenting that my team membership had something to do with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top