Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2004 4:14:09 AM EDT
I got pulled for speeding by a deputy in Texas last week and recieved a warning. The only ID he asked for was my DL. I told him I had a gun and gave him my CCW permit as well.
He never asked for my reg or ins. WTF? He nevr asked to see my weapon just gave me the warning and we talked shooting and guns for a bit, all in all a good experience but I thought you guys always asked for the reg and ins?
Also, I was talking with a friend about it and we went way off topic and started wondering about the drinking laws in Texas. Is it legal or has it ever been legal for passengers to drink in your car in TX? Is it legal or has it ever been legal for the driver to drink as long as he is not over limit, say have a beer on the way home from work.
I think these may be urban legends.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:27:29 AM EDT
[#1]
It's up to him if he asks for insurance.  Where I work (MO), state law requires insurance but doesn't require that we ask for it.  Sometimes I forget to ask!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:33:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I got pulled for speeding by a deputy in Texas last week and recieved a warning. The only ID he asked for was my DL. I told him I had a gun and gave him my CCW permit as well.
He never asked for my reg or ins. WTF? He nevr asked to see my weapon just gave me the warning and we talked shooting and guns for a bit, all in all a good experience but I thought you guys always asked for the reg and ins?
Also, I was talking with a friend about it and we went way off topic and started wondering about the drinking laws in Texas. Is it legal or has it ever been legal for passengers to drink in your car in TX? Is it legal or has it ever been legal for the driver to drink as long as he is not over limit, say have a beer on the way home from work.

Texas passed an open container law a short time back and so no longer can you have an open container in the vehicle.  Consumption of alcohol while driving(even if not under the influence) is unlawful but to enforce that we have to see you drinking it while driving.  Then there's also that pesky open container law now.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:43:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't need the registration,  I get that off the computer.  Not REQUIRED to ask for insurance, esp if I'm just giving you a warning in the first place.

Drinking in a moving vehicle USED to be legal.  One of the stupider laws that is now changed.

Now,  if we can only make it illegal to drink in a boat.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

now you hold it right there, mister.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Don't need the registration,  I get that off the computer.  Not REQUIRED to ask for insurance, esp if I'm just giving you a warning in the first place.

Drinking in a moving vehicle USED to be legal.  One of the stupider laws that is now changed.

You still doing the boat patrol thing?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

now you hold it right there, mister.

If you want, you guys can come on up to Minnesota.  It's legal operate a boat while drinking, as long as you're not over .10.  All other occupants can also consume.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Is drinking in a boat really a big problem?  I spend a lot of time in a boat on fishing trips.  We always obey the laws, but where I live we can drink in a boat but not be intoxicated.  I love to have a couple beers while fishing.

I can't imagine not having a cold one while fishing on a hot day.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Often on casual contacts If they tell me they have a ccw I dont ask to see the gun. Maggots dont have ccw's, and I respect the lawful right to carry a gun. Also I really dont want them reaching around for a gun. Let them tell me where it is, keep their hands on the wheel. If they are getten written have them step out of the car away from the gun. So your are complaining that he did not roust you??
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#9]
i just got pulled over thursday night for a tag light being out.  before i reached down to get into my glove box, i told the officer that my pistol was laying in plain view on the passenger seat.  i'm sure he would've seen it, but i didn't want to look suspicious.  so, i got invited out of the vehicle, patted down, and we stood behind my truck while backup came.  

lucky me, i got a gang task force officer as the initial officer that pulled me over.  this means that he and his unit do not get normal radio calls.  they only go to calls from each other, specifically firearm and drug calls, unless there's an emergency.  well, this means that the other 4 available officers in his unit showed up all at once, lining up right behind his car on the side of the road.  i said to him, "man, this makes me feel special."  while we were waiting for his backup, we talked about guns, shooting the shit.  found out my county's dept. is doing T&E on the G17, he asked about my pistol, blah blah.  when backup showed up, they kept me occupied while he secured my firearm.  i swear to god every one of those 5 officers took turns talking me up, and casually asking,

"hey, did he already ask if we could search your vehicle?"  
"yes sir, and i already said no."  
"any particular reason why?"
"convenience"
"well, i'm not sure, but i think he's calling the K9 unit, which would end up taking longer."

the initial officer had stated that he appreciated my telling him about my pistol, and being cooperative, and that i was just going to get a written warning.  well, come to find out, i got a citation.  my guess is that it was because i wouldn't consent to a search of my vehicle, but who knows.  anyways, it was a long process, but they were all courteous, and i'm not pissed about getting the citation, i just wish he'd have been a nicer guy after all that.

oh, and he never got my insurance, because he didn't need it.  it's all computerized.  in fact, an insurance card is no longer valid proof of insurance in GA.  if it's not in their computer, you don't have it.  they did run my plates, my license, and my serial number, though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:30:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Welcome to Texas!

No, you don't have to show vehicle registration in Texas. You do have to show proof of insurance, and your CHL, if you are carrying. Your stop sounds like my typical CHL traffic stop; once I find out the driver has a CHL, we chat about guns for awhile to be pleasant.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:35:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

People USED to have common sense. By using that logic, I shouldnt be able to transport someone who is drunk?

What difference does it make if everyone in the car is having a drunken orgy, as long as the driver is sober as a judge?

Sorry, just one more infringement on liberty that makes zero difference in crime or public safety, for the glory of the fatherland!

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:36:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Often on casual contacts If they tell me they have a ccw I dont ask to see the gun. Maggots dont have ccw's, and I respect the lawful right to carry a gun. Also I really dont want them reaching around for a gun. Let them tell me where it is, keep their hands on the wheel. If they are getten written have them step out of the car away from the gun. So your are complaining that he did not roust you??

Not at all.
It was a pleasant experience all around. Its pretty rare for me to get pulled over since my youth and I havent had a ticket in years. I was just curious because the stop seemed so un-adversarial(sp).
The only reason I was going more than ten over the limit was that I pressed resume on the cruise control and not tapped it down below 70. I was trying to keep it at 8 miles over but the limti was changing a lot with all the towns.
+1 for Texas LEOs!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:44:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

why pass up the opportunity to get some brownie points?  No insurance is a $500+ infraction here.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#14]

"convenience"
"well, i'm not sure, but i think he's calling the K9 unit, which would end up taking longer."

I always answer no, politely, when asked if they can search my truck.  Of course I haven;t had a cop ask me that in 10 years, and back then I was a hooligan, so I can see why they didn't like that I said no.

I'm so Joe Average Citizen (except for having evil guns) that I doubt they'd ask me anymore.  

Are officers more likely to want to search your vehicle just because your have a gun?  Here in TX so many people have CHLs that I doubt it makes any difference.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I think in Colorado that passengers can be chugging beers as long as the driver is sober (but i the driver is pulled over he will probably get the whole schubang sobriety test just to make sure)
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#16]
You should always FIRST advise they you are an AR15.com member!  Then move on to all the DL and other nonsense.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:29:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

"convenience"

I always answer no, politely, when asked if they can search my truck.  Of course I haven;t had a cop ask me that in 10 years, and back then I was a hooligan, so I can see why they didn't like that I said no.

I'm so Joe Average Citizen (except for having evil guns) that I doubt they'd ask me anymore.  

Are officers more likely to want to search your vehicle just because your have a gun?  Here in TX so many people have CHLs that I doubt it makes any difference.

i think it was mainly because their sole function as a gang task force working at night, doing routine stops on minor infractions is to try to FIND the larger things, like drugs, illegal weapons, etc.  with that in mind, i didn't know if they wanted to gut my truck in their quest for such things, so i said no.  i don't look like a hooligan, i look like a 21 year old male student.  i conduct myself like a polite gentleman in the presence of officers, and i was all "yes, sir/ no, sir" the whole time.  i made them aware that i was both an EMT student, and a friend of the county commissioner's in very passive ways (they asked where i was coming from, i answered my EMT class.  they asked about the campaign signs for the county chairman, i replied that i was simply helping his campaign and that my best friend was his personal assistant, i'm just a bystander.)  that way, they didn't take offense to my answers, but i still possibly helped my situation, since the county commission chair is fairly well-like by LE.  anyways, it wasn't something i'd elect to experience with any frequency, but it wasn't too bad for a traffic stop.  this is the lightest citation i've ever recieved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top