Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2004 6:49:44 AM EDT
Hey everybody, long time no talk.  Been pretty busy at work.  Anyway, going on vacation this next month and need to find out how HR218 works.  There is little info.  I am going to the Fairfax area of Virginia.  I am full time sworn and have contacted the airlines, just want to know about the state law if there is one yet.

thanks in advance,

c
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:58:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I changed my tag line and want to read it!

c
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:00:38 AM EDT
[#2]
www.packing.org  According to them, VA recognizes TX permits if you have one.  You may want to contact the VA State Police too for clarification on the new LE carry laws.  www.vsp.state.va.us/
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:38:05 AM EDT
[#3]
They will most likely have no problem with it, since by Virginia law, you can carry anyway.  

According to the State Code of Virginia :

(you can do a search of the entire VA state code at http://leg1.state.va.us/000/src.htm )

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.

B. This section shall not apply to any person while in his own place of abode or the curtilage thereof.

Except as provided in subsection J1, this section shall not apply to:

1. Any person while in his own place of business;

2. Any law-enforcement officer, wherever such law-enforcement officer may travel in the Commonwealth;

(snip)

M. For purposes of this section:

"Handgun" means any pistol or revolver or other firearm, except a machine gun, originally designed, made and intended to fire a projectile by means of an explosion of a combustible material from one or more barrels when held in one hand.

"Lawfully admitted for permanent residence" means the status of having been lawfully accorded the privilege of residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant in accordance with the immigration laws, such status not having changed.

"Law-enforcement officer" means those individuals defined as a law-enforcement officer in § 9.1-101, campus police officers appointed pursuant to Chapter 17 (§ 23-232 et seq.) of Title 23, law-enforcement agents of the Armed Forces of the United States, the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, and federal agents who are otherwise authorized to carry weapons by federal law. "Law-enforcement officer" shall also mean any sworn full-time law-enforcement officer employed by a law-enforcement agency of the United States or any state or political subdivision thereof, whose duties are substantially similar to those set forth in § 9.1-101.

Northern Va is definitely more liberal than where I work (about 45-60 minutes south) so you may want to keep a print out of the code section...just in case.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I just got back from Chicago carried under HR 218 put my gun in checked baggage on the aircraft loaded up outside the airport in a restroom. Carried my badge and ID case around my neck under my clothes with a copy of HR218 inside the case. No problem I avoided one building that had a metal detector just to avoid a hassle. If you don't get in a shooting or something I don't think there will ever be a problem I've heard a lot of us did this before is was legal. anyway. A CPD Sgt saw me check my gun on the way back home he didn't seem to bat an eye at it. I put my badge in the case with the gun and of course it could have been stolen but carring on the plane is a huge hassle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top