Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 10:50:40 AM EDT
two friends of mine were debating, because a friend of ours got pulled over and didn't have his license but knew the number in his head and the cop took it down and everything was cool, but my other friend was like no way and being real stubborn. If you knew your license# and had other proof of who you were, could you get away with that? assumming he/she isn't in a bad mood?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#1]
With the proper information they can pull up your drivers license without having it in front of them.  I got pulled over once and all I had on me was my receipt for my drivers license.  Officer gave me a verbal warning and on my way I went.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe in most states you can be ticketed for that, I know in WA there is a box to check if they don't have proper ID. Still, if you arent an ass I think they'll just pull your record and let you go. They do this with registrations too.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Even if the number you give checks out, The Vehicle and Traffic Law in New York specifies the photo license, not a number. Our NYSPIN doesn't run graphics like a photo, though it should.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#4]
EVERYTHING in washington state (other than Domestic Violence crimes) is officer discretion

If I pull you over and you don't have an ID, and I tell you ok whatever bye, then that's what happens.  If I pull over a kid with no license I could run the plate and call the owners and ask.. "does your son/daughter have your vehicle?" (lesson learner)

If he knows his # and has an alternate form of ID, more than likely itll be alright..   Mind you, I'm not promoting driving without a license, as it still is a violation
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Even if the number you give checks out, The Vehicle and Traffic Law in New York specifies the photo license, not a number. Our NYSPIN doesn't run graphics like a photo, though it should.

We'll have to wait until the LAPD upgrades and sells us more outdated stuff
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
EVERYTHING in washington state (other than Domestic Violence crimes) is officer discretion

If I pull you over and you don't have an ID, and I tell you ok whatever bye, then that's what happens.  If I pull over a kid with no license I could run the plate and call the owners and ask.. "does your son/daughter have your vehicle?" (lesson learner)

If he knows his # and has an alternate form of ID, more than likely itll be alright..   Mind you, I'm not promoting driving without a license, as it still is a violation

Thats good to know, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#8]
cool, thats more or less what I assumed. A lot of people tell me that the cops here in Miami are assholes of an unholy kind,  but yet all the encounters I've had have, they've been really really cool.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not a cop but that happened to me once.  I knew my DL number and he checked me out.  He also had me open the trunk and did a quick look at the interior of the car.  Let me go without a ticket.   (I had no other ID, he got my description over the radio and was satisfied it was me apparently.)  I guess it's up to the policeman.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#11]
In New York it's "Failure to Carry and Display License".
WAVE, there's no more -Transporting one to the house for "investigation"-anymore
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#12]
In WI, your DL info is electronically stored in 'the system'...

Given a SSN they can look it up, and get your photo & DL#
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top