Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2004 9:44:24 AM EDT
Butler police officer slain in shooting
Police searching for suspect after incident this morning in the parking lot at Hinkle Fieldhouse; area schools are locked down.

Star report
September 24, 2004

A Butler University Police Department officer was shot and killed this morning in the parking lot at Hinkle Fieldhouse.

Police dispatchers reported that an armed black male is being sought. The officer, who university officials identified as James Davis, 31, was pronounced dead at 11:08 a.m. from a single gunshot wound to the head. He had been with the Butler police department since January, 2003.

Police have set up a perimeter from 46th Street to 49th Street between Sunset and Boulevard as they search for the suspect, who fled the scene of the shooting on foot. Police said the suspect is considered to be armed and dangerous.

At 11 a.m., a team of shotgun-wielding Indianapolis Police and Marion County Sheriff's deputies were going through garages on Cornelius Ave. north of 47th Street.

Schools in the area have also been locked down. WTHR-Channel 13, The Star's newsgathering partner, identified those schools as IPS School 43, 55, 70, 84 and 91, Broad Ripple High School, Shortridge Middle School, Sidener Middle School and International School of Indiana.

Butler spokeswoman Maureen Manier said, "No question about it, it is a very tight-knit community. The police force are highly trained. The Butler family is in mourning and our hearts go out to everyone involved."

The Butler police department have 16 officers. Chief David Selby requested that Indianapolis police homicide handle the investigation.

Indianapolis police gave a press briefing at 11:45 a.m. and advised the public that if they see an officer with a dog to stay inside and not interfere.

Shelley McFarland, a junior at Butler, was walking on 46th street just west of Cornelius Avenue at 10:45 a.m. as police cars were speeding by to set up road blocks. “I’m a little shocked," she said. "This is very scary. Not the best day to walk to school."

Police cars are at nearly every intersection in the area, with helicopters circling overhead.

Butler University biology professor Richard Miller, 57, said university officials sent out an e-mail telling everyone on campus to stay where they are and not to go outside.

At International School of Indiana, adjacent to Hinkle Fieldhouse, teachers were at the front door peering out the window. They said, through the window, that the school was in lockdown and that the students are safe.

Jim Lehman, 45, from Carmel, was working on a garage at an investment property at the intersection of North Boulevard and 52nd Street near Butler when the shooting occurred. He said police told him to secure his house and to lock his back doors to make sure no intruders could get in. "It's a tough situation when an officer gets shot," he said. "What are you going to do?"

This story will be updated.

www.indystar.com/articles/6/181270-6866-092.html

And now there is information a 2nd officer may have been shot.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:11:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Prayers sent for the family.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm just north of Indy. I'm sick and tired of hearing about this. The IPD Officer, a Marion County Deputy, a Deputy up north, and now this. I don't like the black flags or the black bands. Tired of it.

God Bless the family
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:26:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:28:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Prayers sent to family and all else who've lost.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:14:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm just north of Indy. I'm sick and tired of hearing about this. The IPD Officer, a Marion County Deputy, a Deputy up north, and now this. I don't like the black flags or the black bands. Tired of it.

God Bless the family

Not to mention the Beech Grove PD Officer Toney.  It's getting really bad around here and I'm not liking it either.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Despicable motherfuckers.  

Prayers said.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top