Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2004 6:24:18 PM EDT
I am not a police officer but an ordinary citizen.  I also am a college student at Georgia Tech and I am sick and tired of hearing people on the news and around campus saying how EVERY cop in america thinks it is a devastating event letting the AWB expire.  Nearly every cop I know understands the pointlessness of the ban and how little effect it had.  Could there possibly be a way for a group of law enforcement officers form together and voice this opinion?  It is desparately needed because the press is having a field day with this.  I would like to see the other side have a say, which I believe is the majority opinion.  Just my two cents.  Stay safe out there guys.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately, this topic has been beaten to a slow and agonizing death both here and in GD.

Is is good to see that at least someone here bothers to ask the rank and file before painting all LEOs with the broad brush.  Take er easy.

NorCal
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:27:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Nearly every cop I know understands the pointlessness of the ban and how little effect it had... the press is having a field day with this.  I would like to see the other side have a say, which I believe is the majority opinion. ..

Well, here's the reality of the news media: They know how regular street cops feel too.  They choose not to report it.  How many interviews have you seen on the news with a patrol officer in his cruiser (not someone with stars on his collar behind a desk) asking about the AWB.  Why?  My guess is that it is much more exciting to hear about "blood in the streets" as opposed to "the law never meant anything anyway".  Hence more "newsworthy".
I truly believe that even if some type of gun rights law enforcement group was created, they wouldn't get any press coverage.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:35:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Its amazing how much bitching I hear from cops about the AWB sunset! They must have ALL went to their gunshops today and found out nothing was in stock
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top