Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 9:20:53 AM EDT
Can anyone clarify this issue for me.  I heard from a co-worker that while he was visting AZ (he's a resident LEO from California) that out of state LEOs can purchase firearms in AZ without a residency requirement?  Any input from an AZ FFL would be appreciated.

rangemaster57
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:20:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I would think it could be done by anyone if the gun was first shipped to a CAL FFL dealer. I don't believe anyone (even a CAL LEO) can purchase a firearm out of state directly from a gun shop.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Why is it that LEOs think they are special?

If you are an out-of-state visitor you can purchase a rifle in any state in the union (choice is obviously limited by the state in which you buy one - ie: PRK or NJ, etc.)

There's a prohibition on handgun sales to non-residents.  They have to go through a home state FFL.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Why is it that LEOs think they are special?

If you are an out-of-state visitor you can purchase a rifle in any state in the union (choice is obviously limited by the state in which you buy one - ie: PRK or NJ, etc.)

There's a prohibition on handgun sales to non-residents.  They have to go through a home state FFL.

Why is it that YOU get offended by someone asking a question about guns on a gunboard?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#4]
The FOPA of 1986 made it legal to buy a long gun (shotty or rifle) anywhere in the US if you can legally buy it in your home state.

Keep in mind, your home state laws apply to the purchase.  This includes all waiting periods, gun card, or other political BS that is law in your home state.

I AM NOT up to date on CA laws, you need to heavily reasearch the CA DOJ site.  They do a good job of posting all the confusing stuff there.

Worst case scenario: you find a gun you like and have it shipped to your local FFL back home.

ETA: It is my experience that status as an active LEO has no bearing on this type of transaction.  For it to be of significance, you're talking Letterhead, at which point you are probably back to your local FFL.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#5]

There are EXCEPTIONS for guns to be sent directly to out of state LEO under specific conditions in the regs.  This is for both handgun and long gun.  Generally letterhead must be involved.

mark
[email protected]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top