Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 7:13:55 AM EDT
Anyone carry one as a BUG or off duty? I'm a Glock and Sig armorer but am not familiar with Kahrs.
I'm looking for something with less bulk than my Glock 27 for a BUG. Comments, please, regarding reliablity, accuracy etc.

Thanks,

Rich

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I have been looking at them at them too. I love the size abd weight. Would be a great pocket holster or ankle rig. I was leaning toward the pm40 but I am worried about recoil. There are several posts about them being recalled at glocktalk.com ref them being recalled, in the Kahr section.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a PM9 and I love it. Light accurate reliable - what's not to like?  It's may everyday "Grab And Go" gun.  I have a Alessi pocket holster for it.  The Kahr pocket holster sold on the website is too bulky so avoid it.  The PM40 has some problems w/reliability IIRC.  And it will be a real unpleasent handful to fire anyway.

ETA-Mags are expensive but well built.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:44:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies.  Guess I'll have to get one, but based upon the problems some are experiencing per posts on Glock Talk, I'll put a bunch of rounds through it before carrying.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Kahr pistols have a great rep in 9mm but haven't heard much about their 40s. Seems like the 40cal round is a bit much for ultra compact pistols. My friend has a PM9 and loves it!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a Kahr 9 and loved it. very accurate and good function. I got out of 9mm or I would still have it. Women or weaker handed guys might have a hard time with the slide as it was strong.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:56:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I carry a P9 as a BUG and off duty sometimes.  It is a tight recoil spring for many women, or people unfamiliar with weapons, but I don't see that as a problem for most cops.  I would certainly put a few hundred rounds through it before you considered it reliable, but you shouldn't have any problems.  I'm on my second P9, but only because I traded my first one for an AR15.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:41:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Kahr pistols have a great rep in 9mm but haven't heard much about their 40s. Seems like the 40cal round is a bit much for ultra compact pistols. My friend has a PM9 and loves it!

They may have the same problem as the Kel-Tec P40 had.  The theory is that the mass of the slide was not heavy enough in these small and light pistols so they require a much stronger recoil spring.  If the pistol was allowed to roll back in the hand any at all during firing the heavy spring couldn't compress enough to assure reliable cycling (limp wristing).  It has been discontinued as Kel-Tec couldn't keep up with all the returns of pistols without any problems to be repaired.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Anyone carry one as a BUG or off duty? I'm a Glock and Sig armorer but am not familiar with Kahrs.
I'm looking for something with less bulk than my Glock 27 for a BUG. Comments, please, regarding reliablity, accuracy etc.

Thanks,

Rich

I've been carrying a PM9 as a BUG/off duty gun for about a year. I carried an MK9 for about 4 years until the polymer frame model came out. I liked the MK, but it got heavy by the end of the day. The PM9 is much easier to carry, but the payback is much sharper recoil, especially with +P or +P+ rounds. Kahr recently issued a recall on some early models of PM9, due to some failures to feed "certain brands" of hollowpoints. I sent my barrel back, & they reshaped the feed ramp & got it polished almost as well as I had it before they worked on it I then finished polishing the ramp out & it works very well with all the HP loads I have tried. I mentioned in my letter that I had noticed an occasional failure of the slide to close completely, requiring a bump with the support hand. When the barrel came back, they also enclosed two new recoil spring assemblies with MUCH stronger springs than the original. Presto, no more failures to close.

For my money, the PM9 is the closest thing yet to the perfect BUG. Adequate power, very concealable, now very reliable, and certainly accurate enough for any combat scenario. Oh, and the tendency of the earlier Kahrs to rust from being carried close to a sweaty body seems to be gone with the new Black Diamond finish. I have deliberately let mine get sweaty and wet, & it hasn't rusted a bit yet. Of course the polymer is rustproof, but the older stainless frames & slides would rust in a heartbeat if you didn't keep them wiped down. I don't think you will be disappointed with the PM9.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:01:43 AM EDT
[#9]
We had a PM40 for testing and evaluation.  It had some serious reliability problems and the sights were way off, even for a back up/UC gun.  We sent it back with a "thanks, but no thanks" letter.

Maybe the PM9 is a better gun, but we went with G27's.

(Incidentally, they were being tested for use by our CID personnel.  Policy dictates that plain clothes personnel will carry concealed at all times.)
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the replies.  Picked one up but haven't had a chance to fire it yet.  Dealer claims all their stock was sent back for the barrel mod (ser # of mine is in the recall range).  The feed ramp is nicely polished so maybe so.  I examined several; some had highly polished ramps and others had only a portion of the ramp polished.  Guess I'll find out on the next range day.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:41:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies.  Picked one up but haven't had a chance to fire it yet.  Dealer claims all their stock was sent back for the barrel mod (ser # of mine is in the recall range).  The feed ramp is nicely polished so maybe so.  I examined several; some had highly polished ramps and others had only a portion of the ramp polished.  Guess I'll find out on the next range day.

What is the recall range for the serial numbers?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:19:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Here ya go, Stickman,

Models involved: PM9093A, PM9093NA, PM9094A, PM9094NA
Serial number ranges: VA0003 -- VA9999, VB0004 -- VB0999

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top