Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2004 9:35:11 PM EDT
If someone files a FALSE CPS (Child Protective Services) report that some woman is hitting her child and in reality she isnt, can the person who filed the report be charged with falsifying a report?

And would it matter if the police accompany the CPS agent or not?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't  heard of anyone getting arrested for that, and I don't think it would matter if the CPS agent was present or not.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:18:19 AM EDT
[#2]
CPS only rules whether the complaint was founded or unfounded, not whether the original report was valid or not. Founded/ Unfounded only reflects that they feel there is sufficient proof to substantiate the original hotline report and does/ does not warrant further investigation.

Accompanying officers are only there to safeguard the investigating CPS worker, not conduct their own investigation. Now , if something was in plain view to them while at the location, or something illegal  happened in their presence, thats a different situation...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:32:50 AM EDT
[#3]
It depends on the law where you are at. In my state it would not be covered by making a false police report. It would be a tort though under civil remedies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top