Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2004 1:57:06 PM EDT
I'm a volunteer FF and last Sunday morn ,5'ish,we were called out for a smoke investigation and it so happened I was the first one packed out and command sent me in to check it out.No fire but a good amount of pretty heavy smoke that was up high so down low visability was good.Found a sooted up door and felt it and it was warm but not hot.Cracked it open and found the source of the smoke was in that room but no flames were showing so I closed the door ,went back out to report and get the charged 1 1/2 and 2nd man that had just packed out.Went back to room and opened the door but still no flames so shined flashlight around the room and saw 3 20lb lp  tanks and 4 large oxygen and acetaline tanks!!We cooled them off and regrouped real quick.I  was got away with for sure,and it got hot enough in that room to melt a tv into a blob on top of a bench.Bad electrical strip was the cause and it did not get any further than that room but I don't even want to think what could have happenned if it had been engulfed and a hot burn was in progress when we pulled up.Found out that he was using that room for jewelry repair.Just goes to show everybody that you never know and can't be too careful.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#1]
CYA is always in effect.

Had a call for a truck fire on am. Upon our arrival, we pulled a 2 1/2" as we did a mobile size-up, and discovered a LOX (Liquid Oxygen) tank on the back, with flames impinging on the liquid space. The truck was used by scrappers for steel collection.

Needless to say, the 2 1/2 was comitted real quick to dedicated cool-off. We brought in (2) 1 3/4"s to put out the underbody fire, and gave a big sigh of relief when it was all done.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:25:45 AM EDT
[#2]
That could have gone bad real quick. I wouldn't have gone in by myself on the initial search.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top