Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2004 12:46:18 PM EDT
Hello I am 20 years old and won't be 21 for a couple of months.  I have always wanted to be a cop.  I am now getting close to the age where that can be possible.  So are there any things I can do to improve my chances of getting a job being a police officer?  I don't know if it is a hard job to get or not but I deffinatly want it.  I know it is a very underpaid job so I don't think it should be that hard.  Thanks for any advise.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#1]
its underpaid and you get to eat shit all day long!  and on the off chance they run out of shit, then you get to write about your previous shit eating experiences.

but if you really want to be a cop join the  UMSC reserve as a contract MP,  get your degree, and keep your nose clean and you shouldnt have any trouble at all
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#2]
1.  Military service gives you points on your civil service exam and a step up on training. Alot of departments give vets extra points for prior training and specialties.  Service is not compulsory by any means, but might be a jumping off point if you are inclined...

2.  Do some ride alongs (if you can) to get to know some seasoned officers who can act as a "guide" during the hiring/training process.  Kissing ass and riding along to glean some info are two different things, so don't let anyone tell otherwise.  

3.  Keep physically fit.  This one's a no-brainer.

4.  Keep your finances in good shape.  They will check your history as an indicator of future problems.

5.  Be consistant in all your applications.  Agencies trade applicant info if requested and a small app error could add a week or two of "checking on the inconsitancy" to your app.  

6.  The application process, like the job, is a constant learning process.  The more interviews, psych evals, and physical agility tests you do, the better you will become.  Don't get discouraged!  

7.  Know up front the process is time consuming and sometimes always frustrating while you are "on the hook."  The orals, polygraph, medical, psych, physical agility and final board all take time, so plan accordingly.

8.  Do a little study on your own by buying a LEO test prep book and practice taking the tests.

9.  Take a few law classes if you have time.  

10.  Stay motivated!!!

11.  THE MOST IMPORTANT:  Keep your nose clean.  I know it sounds patronizing, but I have seen ALOT of great guys and gals (some of my friends) wash out of the process because of dumb shit involving alcohol and things most if not all 20 year olds do.  Just be ready to be under the microscope for awhile.  An old cheif called it the "Booze, broads and Bills" syndrome .  

Good luck and hope some of this helps.

NorCal  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Stay out of trouble.

Military.

College.

We need folks with real life experience and common sense and good judgement. You will spend more time talking sense into the inherently unreasonable that anything "exciting."

Many agencies pay pretty well these days, and if you set your sights low, then you won't get paid much. Do your research, and find the agencies in your area that other cops want to work for and envy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
its underpaid and you get to eat shit all day long!  and on the off chance they run out of shit, then you get to write about your previous shit eating experiences.

THEN you become a shit-magnet so as to attract every type of shit-bird, shit-head, and shit-for-brains dirtbag society has to offer.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I hear the BATF is hiring
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top