Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2004 11:56:29 AM EDT
September 3, 2004 -- Off-duty police Sergeant Angelo Russo dropped by his bank in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, in February with little on his agenda but getting some cash.

Instead, he wound up catching a crook ? who just happened to be robbing his third bank that day, police say.

Russo was filling out a withdrawal slip when the bank manager, who knew Russo was a cop, whispered to him that a heist was in progress.

"I only had three seconds to react," Russo recalled.

"There were other customers in the bank, and I didn't know if he was armed, so I decided not to draw my weapon at that time. I let him leave the bank and followed him out." The robber got into a getaway car and sped away. Russo flagged down a police cruiser with two officers.

A chase ensued, and the three cops caught and arrested Anthony Aponick and an accomplice. Some $9,000 dollars was recovered. Aponick, who had been released from prison three months earlier, is suspected of committing at least eight other bank robberies.

"Sgt. Russo was alert and aware of the many perils, but took appropriate action," said Richard O'Neill, a retired police officer, who nominated Russo for the Post's Finest Liberty Medal.

Russo, 35, a Brooklyn native and a 15-year veteran of the NYPD, is the community policing officer at the 66th Precinct in Borough Park, Brooklyn.

I have talked to my new guys about this exact type of incident. Keeping a cool head and moving the bad guy away from the citicens is the way to handle it if at all possible. I would partner with this guy any day.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I was there for that caper.  My Sergent is still steamed that the 62 pct took all the credit for that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Great thinker, great cop
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
"There were other customers in the bank, and I didn't know if he was armed, so I decided not to draw my weapon at that time. I let him leave the bank and followed him out." The robber got into a getaway car and sped away. Russo flagged down a police cruiser with two officers.

Smart...very smart. Officer has a good head on his shoulders!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top