Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2004 6:15:08 PM EDT
I can finally say that I have been Tased and pepper sprayed, and I would much rather get another 5 second ride on the taser than go through the spray again.  Pepper spray is way under rated.....it took me close to an hour to recover.  I took a big 3 second shot point blank in the face, then we had to stagger back into the range and qualify(hit five staggered steel plates).  The Taser was not fun, but at least it was over after the five seconds.  It was not as bad as I had imagined.  I have been dreading this for a while..and I am very happy to say that it is over and only 2 weeks to go until FTO!!!!

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the club!  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I argee, taser anyday, when its over its over.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't been hit with a Tazer yet, we haven't got them approved for duty use, but working on it.  But......I can honestly say that OC certification was one of the most miserable experiences I have ever had......and I have had a few.  Funny how a drunk or crackhead can take a shot and it do almost nothing.  Seen it all too often on third watch.  I gave a guy a point blank shot right in the eyes and nose about two weeks ago and all it did was make his nose run.  He was strung out on meth and dope.  Go figure.  I am hoping that the Tazer will find a nice comfy place in our use of force continuum real soon, but I'm not holding my breath.  Lots of endless red tape to get new equipment pushed through.

Stay Safe

-Manintan
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been Tased enough times...that it still stops me, but now I enjoy feeling it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#6]
the damn OC canisters we use are too hard to depress sometimes
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#7]

I would much rather get another 5 second ride on the taser than go through the spray again
Thats cuz you didn't tase yourself. Read below.

Dear Friends, My wife Kathy is fond of saying that my last words on this earth will be something akin to, "hey y'all, hold my beer and watch this!"

Well, I have outdone myself once again. No doubt you will see this true story chronicled in a Lifetime movie in the near future. Here goes.

Last weekend I spied something at Larry's Pistol and Pawn that tickled my fancy.  (Note: Keep in mind that my "fancy" is easily tickled). I bought something really cool for Kathy.

The occasion was our 22nd anniversary and I was looking for a little something extra for my sweet girl. What I came across was a 100,000-volt, pocket/purse-sized Tazer gun with a clip. For those of you who are not familiar with this product, it is a less-than-lethal stun gun with two metal prongs designed to incapacitate an assailant with a shock of high-voltage, low amperage electricity while you flee to safety. The effects are supposed to be short lived, with no long-term adverse affect on your assailant, but allowing you adequate time to retreat to safety.

You simply jab the prongs into your 250 lb. Tattooed assailant, push the button, and it will render him a slobbering, goggle-eyed, muscle-twitching, whimpering, pencil-neck geek. If you've never seen one of these things in action, then you're truly missing out--way too cool! Long story short, I bought the device and brought it home.

I loaded two triple-a batteries in the darn thing and pushed the button.  Nothing! I was so disappointed. Upon reading the directions (we don't need no stinkin' directions), I found much to my chagrin that this particular model would not create an arch between the prongs. How disappointing! I do love fire for effect. I learned that if I pushed the button, however, and pressed it against a metal surface that I'd get the blue arch of electricity darting back and forth between the prongs that I was so looking forward to.  I did so. Awesome!!! Sparks, a blue arch of electricity, and a loud pop!!!  Yipeeeeee . . I'm easily amused, just for your information, but I have yet to explain to Kathy what that burn spot is on the face of her microwave.

Okay, so I was home alone with this new toy, thinking to myself that it couldn't be all that bad with only two triple-a batteries, etc., etc. There I sat in my recliner, my cat Gracie looking on intently (trusting little soul), reading the directions (that would be me, not Gracie) and thinking that I really needed to try this thing out on a flesh and blood target. I must admit I thought about zapping Gracie for a fraction of a second and thought better of it. She is such a sweet kitty, after all.  But, if I was going to give this thing to Kathy to protect herself against a mugger, I did want some assurance that it would work as advertised.

Am I wrong? Was I wrong to think that? Seemed reasonable to me at the time... So, there I sat in a pair of shorts and a tank top with my reading glasses perched delicately on the bridge of my nose, directions in one hand, Tazer in another. The directions said that a one-second burst would shock and disorient your assailant; a two-second burst was supposed to cause muscle spasms and a loss of bodily control; a three-second burst would purportedly make your assailant flop on the ground like a fish out of water.  All the while I'm looking at this little device (measuring about 5"

long, less than 3/4 inch in circumference, pretty cute really, and loaded with two itsy, bitsy triple-a batteries) thinking to myself, "no friggin' way!"

Friggin' way--trust me, but I'm getting ahead of myself. What happened next is almost beyond description, but I'll do my best. Those of you who know me well have got a pretty good idea of what followed. I'm sitting there alone, Gracie looking on with her head cocked to one side as to say, "don't do it buddy," reasoning that a one-second burst from such a tiny lil' ole thing couldn't hurt all that bad (sound, rational thinking under the circumstances, wouldn't you agree?). I decided to give myself a one-second burst just for the hell of it. (Note: You know, a bad decision is like hindsight--always twenty-twenty. It is so obvious that it was a bad decision after the fact, even though it seemed so right at the time. Don't ya hate that?)

I touched the prongs to my naked thigh, pushed the button, and HOLY **************! DAaaaauuuuuuMN!!! I'm pretty sure that Jessie Ventura ran in through the front door, picked me up out of that recliner, then body slammed me on the carpet over and over again.

I vaguely recall waking up on my side in the fetal position, nipples on fire, testicles nowhere to be found, soaking wet, with my left arm tucked under my body in the oddest position. Gracie was standing over me making meowing sounds I had never heard before, licking my face, undoubtedly thinking to herself, "do it again, do it again!" (Note: If you ever feel compelled to mug yourself with a Tazer, one note of caution. There is no such thing as a one-second burst when you zap yourself. You're not going to let go of that thing until it is dislodged from your hand by a violent thrashing about on the floor. Then, if you're lucky, you won't dislodge one of the prongs 1/4" deep in your thigh like yours truly.)

SON-OF-A-***** that hurt! A minute or so later (I can't be sure, as time was a relative thing at this point), I collected my wits (what little I had left), sat up and surveyed the landscape. My reading glasses were on the mantel of the fireplace. How did they get there??? My triceps, right thigh and both titties were still twitching. My face felt like it had been shot up with Novocain, as my bottom lip weighed 88 lbs. give or take an ounce or two, I'm pretty sure.

By the way, has anyone seen my testicles? I think they ran away. I'm offering a reward. They're round, rather large, kinda hairy, and handsome if I must say so myself. Miss 'em . . . sure would like to get 'em back.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
the damn OC canisters we use are too hard to depress sometimes

Did you try hitting it over the vermins' head first to sort of loosen it up?  Kinda like hitting the edge of a pickle jar with the back of your butter knife to break the seal
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My triceps, right thigh and both titties were still twitching.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAH YOU SAID BOTH TITTIES.....THAT MADE ME LAUGH OUT LOUD!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want the Triple Crown, you'll have to take a shot with a bean bag round tough guy
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I've not been through the academy yet, but I volunteered to be sprayed by a LEO friend a few weeks ago.  He gave me two direct face sprays, one across the nose and one under, and it liked to fried my face.  It was about 12:30am when he did it, and I guarantee the neighbors have never heard so much foul language.  After washing for about an hour, i patted it dry for about 15 minutes, finally finding little relief.  I went home and got in the bath, damned if it didn't reactivate again.  Longest 3 hours of my life.  After it was all said and done, I was daring anyone to do it for $50 bucks, especially after they saw the pics we took.  HOLY COW!!!

Maki
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:35:16 AM EDT
[#12]
the best thing is the shower the next morning to remind you of how fun OC was!
After getting hit, we had to fight two different people then handcuff a third.
fun fun fun

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:26:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've not been through the academy yet, but I volunteered to be sprayed by a LEO friend a few weeks ago.  He gave me two direct face sprays, one across the nose and one under, and it liked to fried my face.  It was about 12:30am when he did it, and I guarantee the neighbors have never heard so much foul language.  After washing for about an hour, i patted it dry for about 15 minutes, finally finding little relief.  I went home and got in the bath, damned if it didn't reactivate again.  Longest 3 hours of my life.  After it was all said and done, I was daring anyone to do it for $50 bucks, especially after they saw the pics we took.  HOLY COW!!!

Maki

Lets see those pics.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:42:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:28:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I haven't been hit with a Tazer yet, we haven't got them approved for duty use, but working on it.  But......I can honestly say that OC certification was one of the most miserable experiences I have ever had......and I have had a few.  Funny how a drunk or crackhead can take a shot and it do almost nothing.  Seen it all too often on third watch.  I gave a guy a point blank shot right in the eyes and nose about two weeks ago and all it did was make his nose run.  He was strung out on meth and dope.  Go figure.  I am hoping that the Tazer will find a nice comfy place in our use of force continuum real soon, but I'm not holding my breath.  Lots of endless red tape to get new equipment pushed through.

Stay Safe

-Manintan

Don't hold your breath on the Taser either. It's a decent tool to add to your bag of tricks but definitely NOT the magic end-all that some expect. They're prone to occasional misfires and failures and just like OC can fail to render the desired effect at about the worst possible moment.  Don't get me wrong, I like having them, but be prepared to employ back-up measures immediately if the dreaded "OH SHIT" should happen. Stay safe.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:55:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Lets see those pics.

I never even thought about showin the pics, let me see if i can get them goin.

Maki
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:18:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Did you get shot, or did they tape the leads to you?

We are going to get tasers pretty soon, which means qualification and testing it out.

Currently we carry regular old ERDs, Nova 75,000 volts www.nova-usa.com/erd.html.

In the academy we had to hit ourselves in each leg, then we did escapes where we got each wrist shocked, then one full takedown administered by an instructor (about 5 seconds).  Then we went outside and got sprayed with OC.

I have also taken the 8 second ride on a stun belt.  Fun.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#18]
internet rule #3 - if you don't have video or photos it didn't really happen

*dissappointed*
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Lets see those pics.

+1
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:18:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Absolutely.  
A couple weeks ago, one of our guys conducted a vehicle stop  for a stop sign violation, and he found out that the passenger was wanted on a few felont warrants.  After issuing the driver summonses for the moving violation and driving on suspended OL, the officer and another backup officer took the passenger into custody.  The driver suddenly flew into a rage and attacked the officers.  They both emptied their OC on the guy and it had no effect.  The backup officer had a M26 TASER and fired it at close range, with no effect other than catching the guy on fire.  He kept on fighting with both officers and got the backup ofc. on the ground.  The officer was still trying to use the TASER (contact shot) on the guy with no effect.  The guy started going after the officers gun and was able to get control of it.  The other officer shot him at close range and recovered the weapon.  The backup officer then ran and got a fire extinguisher and put out the fire.  The guy died approximately 8 hours later.
It turns out that he was recently released from prison, where he had been serving time for assaulting a federal officer.  His prison stay had been extended by 6 months while he was evaluated at a psyhciatric prison facility just prior to being released.  

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stay Safe

-Manintan

Don't hold your breath on the Taser either. It's a decent tool to add to your bag of tricks but definitely NOT the magic end-all that some expect. They're prone to occasional misfires and failures and just like OC can fail to render the desired effect at about the worst possible moment.  Don't get me wrong, I like having them, but be prepared to employ back-up measures immediately if the dreaded "OH SHIT" should happen. Stay safe.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:31:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Just had the ride from my new X26 myself, wow what an eye opener.   I did however not scream like the other sissies in the group.   After the initial pulses I managed to eek out "vote bush 04" to my Kerry supporting Sgt who tased me!     Even have video of it.   Btw, holy shit that hurt.  Longest 5 seconds of my life.   The first 2 of fast pulses had me pretty good but the last 3 just dragged on by, I have to wonder if I could have fought through it.   Not really willing to get another hit to try it though.  

I've been shocked by the old Nova stun guns and it's nowhere near the level of the X26.   During our training one taser malfunctioned and the first guy in line got the darts but no shock, had to hook up another gun to the cartridge to zap him.   Personally I'd have walked out after that happening to me, but we were all just like cattle at the slaughterhouse.   Zaaappp,....... next.........   heard an awful lot of cussing that night.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top