Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2004 4:50:54 PM EDT
I resigned from my agency due to pressure from a chief-primarily I feared that I wasn't going to get a fair deal in any investigation. The agency that I worked for has a bad rep for real inconsistent treatment of it's officers. If you are in the inner circle you can get away with just about any screwup, but if not they hang you out to dry.

So here's the problem- I resigned and departmental practice on employment verification from other agency background checks is to verify that you worked there, whetther you resigned were terminated or failed to meet probation, and the number of sick days taken. I sailed through the hiring process for a local agency and passed everything then I was informed that I received a "negative reccomendation" from my former agency The chief of personnel is the one that gave this reccomendation is the same one that wouldn't give me a fair investigation hence my resignation.

What can I do?? I fear that everywhere I apply to I am going to run into this same scenario...I am in the process of trying to obtain a copy of the negative reccomendation to attempt a legal course of action because this is blatantly personally motivated on the chief's part.

So what should I do? I called the PBA when  resigned and didn't get much help there so am I screwed out my career field or what? Need some advice please!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to speak to an attorney that is familiar with fedaral and state employment laws. Generally unless something is documented, ie disciplnary board hearings, it can't be used as the basis for a negative recomendation. Many employers will get around that by giving no recomondation.

You should get a copy of the recomendation, or background investigator's report of any meetings with your prior employer. That may be tough as most of that stuff will be treated as confidential.

Even if you do that, I thought TN was a right to work state, and you have very little recourse under state law. Federal may be a different story.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:15:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Oly I have contacted an attorney and was told that I need to get a copy of the letter from my former agency. The agency that I applied to has told me that they have their legal section checking on if I can get a copy, but the attorney advised me that I have a right to it under the public info act.

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Oly I have contacted an attorney and was told that I need to get a copy of the letter from my former agency. The agency that I applied to has told me that they have their legal section checking on if I can get a copy, but the attorney advised me that I have a right to it under the public info act.

Background investigations, and employee records,  are usually handled a little differently, then general records. They may or may not be accesible in the usual "open records" type of requests. It may take a subpoena, or other Court order to get those kinds of records disclosed.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:48:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Did you resign while you were under some sort of investigation?

I would get letters of reference from as many LEO's in the area that you worked with, including other agencies such as city officers that you had contact with while on the road, to document your field performance and conduct.

Many times, especially in LE, officers get black-balled when they want to leave an agency.  It's like "what, you don't want to be a part of us anymore?"  Many department heads get offended when their officers seek a job elsewhere, and the department I left in SC when I moved to FL actually has a written No-Hire back policy for anyone who leaves.

The only thing that will help your situation, IMO, is time.  I have seen others in your spot get turned down but three years later finally get a chance and they get hired.

Get references, thats the best I can offer.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:41:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Along with references, provide any positive evaluations. You might consider letting your potential employer know that you expect your last employer to give you a bad recommendation.  Tell him that it was a matter of personality conflicts do to lack of departmental professionalism.  But don't ellaborate too much, as you might look like a complainer or trouble maker.  At the very least, they won't be suprised by a non recommendation.   Good luck.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies guys. I went to the merit council and got a copy of my file and it has a photocopy of my resignation letter and my evals...conviently it does not contain the 2 letters of reprimand that I received in almost 7 yrs which surprised me. My former agency has been known to re-hire and I am gonna try that route as well. I appreciate the advice and encouragement!

BTW, no I wasn't under an investigation just pressured to resign from a complaint that was BS. I feared that if it went to IAD that the chief might pull some strings that would make my geting a fair shake  more difficult.  Depending on who you are the severity of punishment varies greatly
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top