Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2004 11:39:35 AM EDT
Does anyone have a PRO GARD AR15 rack in their car?  I just installed one but don't care for the way it was set up from the factory to mount. It might be alright for a two man car and for the passenger to retrive the gun, but  it doesn't work for a one man car. First off they have the barrel facing the driver side ( I 'm not taking a loaded rifle out of the rack with the muzzle facing me) and you can't drop the rifle before you get on scene.
We mounted it with the the muzzle facing the passenger side but now the lock key hole is facing the passenger side also and very unacessible for the driver to access. The main locking system is electric with the key as a backup but if the electric doesn't work your pretty much out of luck with the key.

Anyone have any mounting suggestions. It is the 5040 model.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 10:17:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Would it fit if you mounted it vertically, between the seats and on the cage?
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#2]
No between the seats is not good as  our cars have a console between the seats that holds all our radio equipt and emergency light switches etc. I also didn't want it so visible either. I have it installed up tight to the roof now and with the electric switch and 8 sec delay all is working right. It works well now and if I press the release button but don't pull the rifle out it will relock the rack in 8 seconds.

The only problem is access to the key secondary lock in case of electric failure. Oh well can't have everything. I can always use the Rem. 870 in the trunk if needed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a Pro-Gard but replaced it with a Big Sky.  I've never had any problems with the muzzle facing the driver's side, it allows me to "draw" the rifle while seated and bring it muzzle first out the door.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top