Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2004 5:21:03 AM EDT
I forgot my body armor last night(I'm a medic for a LEA). Had a labor intensive call and sweated like a pig the night before so I brought it home and washed it. Brought the carrier and shock plate with me but forgot my panels. First time in 10 years I've gone a tour without body armor. I've forgotten stuff before, like my memo book, uniform shirt with my badge and nameplate, I even bought a new pair of boots once asI live an hour from where I work. I was kind of due for a new pair anyways. But never my body armor.

It was kind of unsettling, and I felt a bit out of sorts, but strangely comfortable(temperature wise.)

To top it off we're all still wearing SC Ultima II vests with the Zylon problem so maybe it wouldn't help much anyways.

Link Posted: 7/21/2004 5:25:59 AM EDT
[#1]
That's nothing. I was at an off duty job for over an hour before I discovered I had forgotten my gun.
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 5:50:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
That's nothing. I was at an off duty job for over an hour before I discovered I had forgotten my gun.

whoops!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 6:34:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 7:18:47 AM EDT
[#4]
all the time, heck, i took the dog for a walk and forgot the leashe
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 7:37:31 AM EDT
[#5]
My agency equips all our cars (we get take homes) with a chain and pad lock on the trunk. It also allows us to stow weapons in the trunk, as long as the chain lock is on  and car alarm is activated.
I keep a spare weapon back there. Had to use it a few times over the years, due to a faulty memory.hock.gif
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 8:52:31 AM EDT
[#6]
What was I going to say?????? NO I never forget and that's the truth......    
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#7]
A few days ago, we were running back and forth to and from the station all day.  We stopped by the bus station later in the day and when I got out of the car, I noticed that something was missing.  My pistol was in the lock box in our processing room. Doh!
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Have forgotten my creds a couple of times...duty cell all the time...
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

One of the guys here went out of service one morning to go to the range for quals before the transition to 9mm.

He forgot to load his revolver afterwards. He and his partner rolled up on an armed robbery a minute after the call came in. He drew down on the guy, and ended up covering while his partner approached and cuffed the guy. After they put the perp in the car he realized what he'd forgotten.....
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 5:35:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Vest once.

Gun a couple of times.

Shield once, then I went and bought a dupe.  Leave the real one in my locker.

Memo book once.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Left my radio in restaraunts more times than I care to mention.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Vest once.

Gun a couple of times.

Memo book once.

Holy cow! All that and you've only been on the job a couple of years if that!? You must have a lot on your mind
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Vest once.

Gun a couple of times.

Memo book once.

Holy cow! All that and you've only been on the job a couple of years if that!? You must have a lot on your mind

The vest was the most recent.  Happened during the spring time.  First day back after RDO and I was positive I packed it im my bag, but I didn't.

My gun I've forgotten a couple of time.  Both times I put the holster on, then shirt /and or jacket, but forgot to put my gun in the holster.  The first time my bro was home and drove it out to me, the second time I was able to take lost time up front and go home and get my gun.

My memo book and shield both happened withing the first month on the job.  The shield during the first week.  That's why I bought a dupe right away.  My memo book, like my vest was first day back from a swing and I was positive I put it in my bag the night before.
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 6:08:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Uhhhh...gun.

Gun(s) go in patrol car trunk when in jail.  Sometimes they stay there for the rest of the watch.

Went to a burg in progress after a booking and took the backyard.  It is one of those super-rare legit calls where we were able to get a good perimeter on the rez quickly.  Perp comes out back window.  I stick my right hand down inside holster and feel felt.  I draw my baton and hope I dont have to "TJ Hooker" this tweek as he comes over the fence.  I hope to God he has no weapons.  Luckily I stood behind the fence and bluffed him while someone came to cuff him up.  Scary.  Never told my partners bout that.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Recently, I was diagnosed with AAADD: Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.
This is how it manifests:

I decided to wash my car. As I started toward the garage, I spotted the mail on the hall table. I should go through the mail before I wash the car.

I lay the car keys on the table, put the junk mail in the trash can under the table, and notice that the trash can is full.

So, I put the bills back on the table and take out the trash first.

since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I take out the trash anyway, I might as well pay the bills first.

I see my checkbook on the table, but there is only one check left. My extra checks are in my desk in the study, so I go to my desk, where I find the bottle of juice that I had been drinking. I'm going to look for my checks, but first I need to push the juice aside so that I don't accidentally knock it over.

But the juice is getting warm, and should be put in the refrigerator to keep it cold.

Heading toward the kitchen with the juice, a vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye. They need to be watered.

I set the juice down on the counter, and find my reading glasses, for which I've been searching all morning. I had better put them back on my desk, but first I'm going to water the flowers.

I set the glasses back down on the counter, fill a container with water, and suddenly spot the TV remote. Someone left it on the kitchen table. Tonight when we sit down to watch TV, we will be looking for the remote, but nobody will remember that it's on the kitchen table. I should put it back in the den where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers.

I splash some water on the flowers, but most of it spills on the floor. So, I put the remote back down on the table, and get some towels to wipe up the spill. Then I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day:

the car isn't washed,

the bills aren't paid,

there is a warm bottle of juice sitting on the counter,

the flowers aren't watered,

there is still only one check in my checkbook,

I can't find the remote,

I can't find my glasses,

and I don't remember what I did with the car keys.

I'm trying to figure out why nothing got done today; it's quite baffling because I know I was busy all day long, and I'm really tired.

I know this is a serious problem, and I'll try to get some help for it tomorrow,

but first I'll check AR15 ---
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#18]
left my gun at home once.... but noticed it missing about halfway to work so i just turned around and got it
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Radio and access card a couple of times. Badge once, but luckily it was winter and I was able to put a jacket on until I could slip the other one out of my wallet.

I left my gun in the jail once. I realized it while backing another officer on a traffic stop, and quietly slipped my back-up out of my vest and into my holster, and realized that my micro-Glock fit mmy duty holster. I figured that I was going to be able to slip off and retrieve my duty pistol from the jail without any trouble, when the other officer looks at me and says "Why ya carryin' a Glock? Leave your gun in the jail?" So much for getting away with it. After that, I never used the gun boxes and always locked it in the trunk.
Link Posted: 7/23/2004 9:01:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Office/patrol car keys. (We don't have common locks on all the cars,  I have 4 different sets of car keys)  I'm always leaving the damn things on the hall table.  Did it THREE TIMES in one work week.

Edited to add:

Back in the day when it was necessary to work massive amounts of off duty jobs  in order to buy groceries I once woke up after 3 hours sleep and a case of the flu during a 70 hour work week,  then drove in to work a graves shift.

I was sitting in the ready room, waiting for the other guys, when I suddenly realized that I was wearing a  dirty uniform shirt, blue jeans, sneakers,   no rank or nametag, my off duty badge on a chain around my neck, no wallet, and the non-duty gun  (without a holster) I keep beside the bed.  I had driven 30 miles in that frame of mind.

But I'd remembered the keys
Link Posted: 7/23/2004 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#21]
I work at the courthouse and I was running down imates down to court.  I had put my gun up in the gun locker and ran down to court to take something to another Deputy and I looked down and didn't have my gun.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I want to meet the LEO who has served a few years who says he has not forgotten his gun on at least one occassion.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I left my handcuffs on the nightstand once. (Like to never have lived that one down either)
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 6:59:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Yep, I've drove off from the SO with my gun in a lock box.
Link Posted: 8/2/2004 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#26]
In 36 years I done the "gun thing" more than once.  Once when I was a sergeant in homicide I walked into work early one morning and as I passed one of the Dicks he said "Dress in the dark, Sarge?"  I didn't know what he was talking about but I did not that I had dressed in the dark, not wanting to turn on the light and wake my wife.  I got to roll call before I noticed that I was wearing one brown shoe and one black shoe.  I had two pairs of identical shoes, one black & one brown.

At roll call I stood behind a long desk and conducted the roll.  At the end of roll call I told everyone about the mismatched shoes.  I beefed on myself as I wasn't going to let the Dick that spotted the shoes have something to hold over my head.  He was a practical joker and I knew the price of his silence would be way too high!  h.gif
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#27]
We used to have a detention and processing building out in the brush, just off the highway.  It was a rennovated office leased to us by a major oil refiner and we used it when working the highway or brush.  One night, we had caught a large group of people, , and took them to our annex to process and wait for transport.  We left one guy there baby sitting the group while we went back out.  Transport came and he went back out as well.  Several hours later we got a call from our station asking us about missing one body.  One guy went back to the building and checked the cells.  Inside the juvi' cell was some teenage kid asleep on the bench.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes. My GUN!!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#29]
I've left my gun in the trunk after leaving the jail.......
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I forget my radio at home once or twice a month.  Once I forgot my boots and had to borrow a pair (eeew!).
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Been there, done that!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Our deapt. played host for a City pick-nick one time, and the Mayor was going to attend. My sycophant Shift Commander was passing bricks. I made a point of wearing the my pressed uniform, and shining my brass before riding the bike to work.

Showed up at the station for shift, and my SC pointed out my motorcycle boots.

Luckily, I keep a complete "Emergency Drunk Uniform" in my locker, so I just grabbed my spare pair and was ready to go. Still had to put up with a ration for a few hours.

At least they were black.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#33]
One of my buddies called me in a panic last week, he had left his portable at his house.  He lives out of county, and it was 10 minutes until roll call was supposed to start.  I was off that day, and he asked if he could borrow mine.  I said sure, no problem, and let him use it, all the while wondering how someone could go off and forget their radio.

I had to work the next day and on the drive into roll call I happen to turn my head to check before I changed lanes, and realize my shoulder mike isn't there.  I look down on my belt, and what do you know, my radio isn't there either.  DOH!  I made a quick u-turn and went back to the house to get it.  Fortunately I live close enough to do that, and wasn't late.

Moral:  As soon as you think someone's an idiot for doing something dumb, you'll do it too.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:48:04 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I forget my radio at home once or twice a month.  Once I forgot my boots and had to borrow a pair (eeew!).

I have had to buy a pair.....twice.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:38:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Yup. Luckily I only live 15 minutes from work. Have made a few dashes for home  after shift  briefing in the course of my career.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#36]
SHERM should have stopped at my house I would let you have used mine.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Thirsday, I left my wallet home with my money and ID in it, so of course I had to go see the DA and needed my ID card to enter the building, the guy signining in after me HAD to be from Inspections and I had to bum 10 bucks for lunch.  I HATE forgetting things.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Halfway to a "woman threatening a man with a knife" run, I realized I forgot my sidearm.  So I take my j frame .38 from off my vest/body armor and JAM it into my full-size Glock holster.  The other guys got quite a laugh at the tiny handle sticking out of my holster upon arrival.

Or when I put the paperwork from a picked up prisoner from a neighboring jail to transport back, and put the paperwork on my roof as I put him in the backseat...then forgot about the paperwork.  Half way back, after going 80 mph on the e-way for about 30 minutes, I pull over and WOW the peperwork was gone...go figure.  DOH!  "Ahhhhhhhh...Sgt?  Ahhhhhh...I can't seem to locate this guys paperwork......."

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Forgot my gun at home one day but realized it shortly after arriving at the PD. Only lived about 5 min away so not a big problem, luckily.

Another time left my gun in the locker at the jail. Patrolled for probably and hour or so. Made a traffic stop and noticed it was not there as I was approaching the vehicle to return license and reg. Driver got a brief warning and I made for the jail. Damn!

One night I went on patrol and had a fellow officer/buddy riding with me. We got to bs'ing and about an hour later, after thinking it was a really quiet night, a deputy see's me and flags me over. I'm thinkin he want's ta roadside.

So we park and the deputy casually asks, "been gettin many calls tonight?" I say ,as a matter of fact, no! Then I look down and my radio console is dark! Ah fuck! fergot to turn on the power. Had all my city officers, a coupla county deputies, and even a state trooper lookin for me.

Of course I had to blame my rider. Didn't work. I think everybody's forgot that one by now! h.gif
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#40]
My duty gun.

My chief, on day shift, was out at a residence where the family was getting evicted.  This family tends to create at least half of our city's calls for service during any given year.  Needless to say they're bent out of shape pretty well.  I'm not due on until later that evening but the chief calls and says get down here, it's getting ugly.

I suit up and respond to see the Chief, the Chief Deputy, and approximately 4-5 road deputies along with crowds of this family's friends.  They're all yelling and calling anyone in a uniform an expletive.

Things start calming down and we all go inside the house to stand-by while the evictee's pack up their "belongings".  It was tough to decipher what was actually belongings because the house was strewn with garbage/clutter.  The matron of the family goes into a back room and I'm thinking, "Gee, I sure hope she doesn't have a shotgun hidden back there and decides to come out blasting."  At this time I reach down to my holster and realize there isn't anything there.

So now I'm feeling completely naked as I have nothing that launches projectiles.  Since it wasn't my regular shift I didn't put on my back-up.  I just manuver so my gun side is against a refrigerator or other appliance.

Well, this family finally got all their stuff together and other than one of the daughters getting hauled to jail for going after one of the deputies, nothing else happened.   I believe I'd had my Glock out for cleaning that day and never got it back to the holster.

Sure hope that doesn't happen again.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:19:24 AM EDT
[#41]
I got called out  late afternoon to go 150 miles and pick up a prisoner. Left a note for wife where I went. She calls me and tells me my wallet is still on the table and now I am 50 miles from home. All of a sudden I got real hungy knowing there was no stopping for supper now. Luckily 3 miles down the road I notice my brother-in-law's car go by. I turned around and pulled his car over. Thank God he had a 20 I could borrow.

I was getting ready for work and couldn't find my keys and Oakleys. I called the wife and told her I remember setting them on the trunk lid as I picked up one of the boys that fell and was crying. They were still on the trunk lid and she was now 50 miles from home and about to enter the Interstate on ramp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top