Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2021 2:51:05 AM EDT
My agency will be having several guys retiring in the next 2 to 3 years.  We aren't a large agency & we haven't had anyone actually retire in 7ish years I think.  We are looking for any policy/agencies or other info on retiring LEO being "gifted" or being allowed to purchase their issued sidearm.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:05:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Our retirees are given their duty gun on retirement.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:06:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never seen anything in our policy. I believe our agency simply allows you to either keep your currently issued sidearm or select one of the many different types of pistols we have in our armory as a matter of custom.

The last couple guys who retired asked to keep their AR15's and the Sheriff said ok... one was an older Colt SP1 the deputy had for a very long time. The employees were long-time guys and I don't expect keeping rifles will become a normal thing.

I've already got a Para 1911 assigned to me I plan on keeping unless we acquire something nicer. I already have a G35 from the agency that was issued to me some years ago, I bought it back when we switched to 9mm... I currently have an issued G34 but I already have one thus the interest in the 1911.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:23:34 AM EDT
[#3]
IMd both of you guys.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:25:06 AM EDT
[#4]
When several other guys and I retired in 2013 (State of Iowa) we asked about purchasing our Glock 22 and that was declined.  Not a big deal to me as blue label guns are not that expensive for one in new condition. The really chickenshit thing they did was to refuse to issue our QRLEO ID's for no reason other than just to be a dick.  The Iowa Attorney General is a liberal  and told me to go get my ID from one of my Texas Agencies or the Federal Agency I worked for, so far none has been willing to issue each thinking its a different agencies responsibility and naturally no federal agency has oversight able to issue the ID.  Some day I hope they get tired of me asking for it every year.

https://trumpwhitehouse.archives.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-protecting-law-enforcement-officers-judges-prosecutors-families/
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:31:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When several other guys and I retired in 2013 (State of Iowa) we asked about purchasing our Glock 22 and that was declined.  Not a big deal to me as blue label guns are not that expensive for one in new condition. The really chickenshit thing they did was to refuse to issue our QRLEO ID's for no reason other than just to be a dick.  The Iowa Attorney General is a liberal  and told me to go get my ID from one of my Texas Agencies or the Federal Agency I worked for, so far none has been willing to issue each thinking its a different agencies responsibility and naturally no federal agency has oversight able to issue the ID.  Some day I hope they get tired of me asking for it every year.

https://trumpwhitehouse.archives.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-protecting-law-enforcement-officers-judges-prosecutors-families/
View Quote

That sucks.

Our agency hosts an annual retiree shoot every year... it's grown to a 4-day event where we qualify between 550-600 retired officers from around the country that have moved into our county or surrounding areas. We even grill out for them and serve lunch. We have been doing it for well over 12-13 years now and the program slowly grew.

A LOT of them still have their issued pistols that were gifted to them upon retirement, lots of wheel guns as you can imagine.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:32:42 AM EDT
[#6]
We are given the "opportunity" to purchase ours...at nearly the price of a brand new one.  I turned in my issued G17 years ago and carry a personally owned 34 but wouldn't have bought it anyways.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:50:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My agency will be having several guys retiring in the next 2 to 3 years.  We aren't a large agency & we haven't had anyone actually retire in 7ish years I think.  We are looking for any policy/agencies or other info on retiring LEO being "gifted" or being allowed to purchase their issued sidearm.
View Quote

Cleveland PD...Retiring officers can buy their issued weapons at "fair market value".

I pulled the pin in 2015 on my 65th birthday.  My G19 cost me $350.  It was a model 2, I think.

Edit:Cleveland has mandatory retirement for police and fire at age 65 by city ordnance.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:02:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

My agency transfers our duty guns to our retirees the day they retire, free of charge.

J-
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:08:21 AM EDT
[#9]
We buy ours for a dollar.

Jay
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:55:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Ours are gifted as per state law.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:01:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Sec. 614.051.  PURCHASE OF FIREARM BY HONORABLY RETIRED PEACE OFFICER.  (a)  An individual may purchase a firearm from a governmental entity if:
(1)  the individual was a peace officer commissioned by the entity;
(2)  the individual was honorably retired from the individual's commission by the entity;
(3)  the firearm had been previously issued to the individual by the entity; and
(4)  the firearm is not a prohibited weapon under Section 46.05, Penal Code.
(b)  An individual may purchase only one firearm from a governmental entity under this section.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I inquired about it if they were working on a policy.  

I was told they’re looking at it but it likely won’t happen before I go.

Agency had a black eye before I was hired.  During a transition from 9s to .40s the guns were offered at Glock buy back prices.   The last time they were offered the guns were over 18 years old and the bent metal slide rails were failing and locking up.  Of course I didn’t want to buy it.

I discussed it with an old zone mate he is now upstairs and involved in policy.  He is a gun guy and modernized a lot of our policies and equipment, helped get the retire qualification shoots and retiree carry credential thing going.  He definitely understood the point that it was to the state’s benefit to let a ten year old pistol go and get a new one for the recruit.  Buying the used gun out at trade in or fair market value is nearly enough to buy at agency pricing.   Certainly not getting it free or for a dollar.  

I have seen new guns purchased for retirees by the guy’s getting up a gift collection.  

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#13]
We own our duty gun so we keep it when we retirement
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Our issued handguns are given to us upon retirement.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pima County Sheriffs Department (AZ) allows the retiring deputy to buy his service sidearm for $1 upon retirement.

During the .40 to 9mm transition, the vendor doing the transaction was not local, and offered the old firearm for the same price that Recoil Gun works was selling them for.  You still needed to pay shipping, sales tax, and any FFL transfer fee, so I doubt many did this.  (Recoil GW price actually dropped later and I picked one up even cheaper, I wish I had a time machine and had purchased more than one)

PCSD also gives a shadow box with a brass frame 1873 Uberti .45LC, and another shadow box with each badge the deputy wore during their career.  If they started/finished at the jail, a third shadow box is given with old timey cuffs and jail keys. All boxes have an original copy of the first badge of the county (same one Wyatt Earp had).
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#16]
All department firearms (and badge) are city property. During a city council meeting the council does a small ceremony awarding the pistol and badge to the retiring officer.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#17]
We keep ours.  If you are in the reserve program ( kinda like the unpaid national guard) you even transition to the newest firearm if there is one.  If you leave the reserves, I’m pretty sure you have to go to a ffl to do a transfer.  Ive been in the reserve unit since August of 2009. I transitioned from the smith 40, to the glock 40, then to the glock 17.  When we went to the smith 9, we were given the opportunity to buy our smith model 10 4 inch.  $200.  I passed.  Mistake made. We cannot purchase dept issued rifles.  But you can buy the official issued rifle from the vendor.  You can carry the issued rifle, or use your own.  Just have to qualify at 90% or better with pistol, then pass the week long course with the rifle.  First qualifying round has to be with irons.  Then optics are allowed after that.  Use to be that when u retired, u just kept your pistol, and everything  else,  no big deal.  Except your radio.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#18]
i think it's in our policy, i'll have to dig it up.
you get your gun for $50 upon retirement.  the armorer is supposed to remove the firing pin and leave it in the box.
i haven't bothered, i just give them the gun complete and a few boxes of ammo.

we just started issuing RMRs on the guns.  We have a few set to retire next year, I'm probably just going to leave the RMRs on as well.

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:56:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Thank you guy for all the help so far, I'm IMing some of you to get a few more details.  Trying to put a proposal together.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:03:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Pima County Sheriffs Department (AZ) allows the retiring deputy to buy his service sidearm for $1 upon retirement.

During the .40 to 9mm transition, the vendor doing the transaction was not local, and offered the old firearm for the same price that Recoil Gun works was selling them for.  You still needed to pay shipping, sales tax, and any FFL transfer fee, so I doubt many did this.  (Recoil GW price actually dropped later and I picked one up even cheaper, I wish I had a time machine and had purchased more than one)

PCSD also gives a shadow box with a brass frame 1873 Uberti .45LC, and another shadow box with each badge the deputy wore during their career.  If they started/finished at the jail, a third shadow box is given with old timey cuffs and jail keys. All boxes have an original copy of the first badge of the county (same one Wyatt Earp had).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude that's badass
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#21]
The PD in the next county over issues a new officer their sidearm when they are hired, and the officer takes it with them when they retire.
I know of no other agency that allows the practice through policy.
One of the villages I worked for allowed  a retiring CLEO to take their sidearm upon retirement but it was a one-off event based on never seeing it happen again in the 13 years I worked there.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#22]
My old department tried the $1 thing on guns but it contradicted the purchasing department policy. Workaround involved co-workers chipping in to buy the gun at market value from the agency then offer it for retirement.

I was able to buy my K9 from the agency for $1 though, not sure how but I suspect the admin just told purchasing this is how it was going to go based on liability of sending a working dog to a "surplus" auction.

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#23]
At my old agency I think it was just whatever the Mayor and Chief decided to do.  When I was close to retirement I asked the Chief about purchasing my issued sidearm.  Never heard anything back.  When I retired I was presented my duty Glock 22 by the Mayor and city council at my retirement luncheon.  
When a friend of mine retired (with fewer years) he was able to purchase his at a reduced price.  I don't think they have a department policy one way or the other.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#24]
We give ours to retirees with at least ten years of service.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:59:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Section 36-21-8.2

Badge and pistol as part of retirement benefits for Department of Public Safety law enforcement officers.

Any individual employed by the Alabama Department of Public Safety as a law enforcement officer for a period of ten years or more who left the department in good standing prior to December 31, 1970, with a rank of sergeant or higher, shall, upon reaching the age of 56 years, be entitled to all rights, benefits and privileges accorded to other retired state law enforcement officers and shall receive from the department, without cost to him, a retired badge, a retired commission card, and a pistol.

(Acts 1991, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 91-828, p. 230, 1.)

Local Gov is up to the council.

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#26]
My current one requires officers buy their own guns, so N/A.
My last agency would gift the gun to the officer by doing a transfer through an FFL.

I am always a big advocate of agencies just doing something and not making a policy about it.  Administrators love policies because it prevents them from having to take responsibility for decisions.  The irony is that when they don’t have policies, they actually have less liability and less restrictions.  It’s counter-intuitive to administrators that a lack of policy reduces liability, but you can’t violate something that doesn’t exist.  Not sure if this is applicable in your situation, but Lexipol has put out information that backs this up.  Point being, if your agency wants policy, find a way to convince them not to if it’s not required by state law.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My current one requires officers buy their own guns, so N/A.
My last agency would gift the gun to the officer by doing a transfer through an FFL.

I am always a big advocate of agencies just doing something and not making a policy about it.  Administrators love policies because it prevents them from having to take responsibility for decisions.  The irony is that when they don’t have policies, they actually have less liability and less restrictions.  It’s counter-intuitive to administrators that a lack of policy reduces liability, but you can’t violate something that doesn’t exist.  Not sure if this is applicable in your situation, but Lexipol has put out information that backs this up.  Point being, if your agency wants policy, find a way to convince them not to if it’s not required by state law.
View Quote

I don't totally disagree but have also seen some negatives to not having policies.  By not having a written policy on certain things, it's easy for the chain of command to be inconsistent with how they do things.  It's frustrating to see a variety of standards applied instead of a consistent standard for everyone.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
We buy ours for a dollar.

Jay
View Quote

Same. Its in our contract.  Basically worded that upon retirement, one can purchase issued handgun for $1, its very short.  Not sure exactly how it works, as I don't think the city can normally just sell stuff to people like that.

Previously we have been allowed to purchase issued firearms being traded in for the money the department was receiving from the FFL.  IIRC we were actually purchasing them from the FFL at cost plus a transfer fee. It was still a very good deal.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#29]
In Alabama:

Section 36-21-8

Badge and pistol as part of retirement benefits for certain law enforcement officers and investigators.

Any person who, at the time of retirement, is in good standing and employed by the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board, the State Forestry Commission, the Alabama Criminal Justice Information Center, the Public Service Commission, campus police at a state institution, or any other state agency which requires its officers to be Peace Officers' Standards and Training Commission certified as a law enforcement officer or investigator, or by the Department of Public Safety as a State Capitol Police Officer shall receive, as part of his or her retirement benefits, without cost, his or her badge and pistol.

(Acts 1981, No. 81-291, p. 373, §1; Acts 1991, No. 91-568, p. 1049, §1; Acts 1994, No. 94-713, p. 1386, §1; Acts 1996, No. 96-768, p. 1354, §1; Act 2002-519, p. 1346, §1; Act 2003-363, §1.)
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 7:48:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks again for al the responses & IMs it's been very helpful with putting a proposal together.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
In Alabama:

Section 36-21-8

Badge and pistol as part of retirement benefits for certain law enforcement officers and investigators.

Any person who, at the time of retirement, is in good standing and employed by the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board, the State Forestry Commission, the Alabama Criminal Justice Information Center, the Public Service Commission, campus police at a state institution, or any other state agency which requires its officers to be Peace Officers' Standards and Training Commission certified as a law enforcement officer or investigator, or by the Department of Public Safety as a State Capitol Police Officer shall receive, as part of his or her retirement benefits, without cost, his or her badge and pistol.

(Acts 1981, No. 81-291, p. 373, §1; Acts 1991, No. 91-568, p. 1049, §1; Acts 1994, No. 94-713, p. 1386, §1; Acts 1996, No. 96-768, p. 1354, §1; Act 2002-519, p. 1346, §1; Act 2003-363, §1.)
View Quote

I retired from ALEA in December of 2018.

I was able to keep my G22...I can't remember the wording, but I had to sign an affadavit that basically said that I affirmed there was nothing that would prevent me from owning a firearm.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#32]
I was able to keep my firearm, badge, and a retired ID card.
Our agency has qualification for retired officers as well
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#33]
$50.00 upon retirement. It's been in our contract for decades.  I'm 90% that half of the guys sell them for a profit shortly after leaving.  

We had one guy leave right after we got gen 4 Glocks.  He had maybe, and I mean MAYBE 100 rounds through his gun.  He refused to buy it for $50.00.........

When we switched to gen 4s, we had the opportunity to buy our issued gun for $350.  Not horrible until they explained we had to pay for them to get shipped to a local FFL, then pay the transfer fee.  It would have ended up being basically the same as blue line pricing, for a heavily used older generation Glock?  Not sure who worked out that deal, but it was dumb.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top