Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2004 4:30:26 AM EDT
I got handed a warrant at the start of my shift the other day and asked to try to track the guy down.  It was from a metro county in MN.  It was a bench warrant for "Civil Default," which was a new one on me.  It had a $2500. bail, which in liberal MN is pretty heavy.  Guys who sell coke routinely get RPR'd.  The warrant got sent to a neighboring county, where someone traced the guy to my city.  I made a few calls and stops and found the guy at new home in a nice part of town.  I arrest him and he gets dressed while bitching.  The story was, the guy owned a business in a neighboring county.  His wife left him for his business partner, which created chaos in both his personal and business finances.  He fell behind on his payments to his divorce laywer, and the guy pulled strings with a judge to get this warrant issued.  WTF?  I've been doing this job 23 years and always heard that a civil debt wasn't grounds to throw someone in jail.    
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:50:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Anything is grounds for throwing somone in jail

If ya know the right person to make it happen that is. Somone obviously did.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I stopped a guy on a minor traffic infraction.  The guy had a warrant out of New York City.  No bond.  

The warrant instructed us to take him into custody and send him back to N.Y.C..  

He was a witness to a mob murder.  The warrant  was issued to get him back to N.Y.C. to testify in the trial.  

He told me, I just signed his death warrant.  The mob would kill him if he went back.  The warrant was going to expire two days after I got him.  

The guy seemed to be a real nice guy with money and a very nice girlfriend.  I don't know what happened to the guy.  That arrest still bothers me.  

It’ll bother me the rest of my life.  

Colt_SBR  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top