Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2004 4:37:29 AM EDT
I was promoted to Sgt. about 9 months ago and have an officer assigned to my shift (4 months ago) that left another agency with about 5 years experience, he was a Lt. when he left. His productivity has never been what I would like it to be and I have mentioned it a couple times along with the fact that our raises are based on performance evaluations which I had hoped would be enough incentive fot him to pick up the pace, it was not.
 Yesterday near the end of shift I called him into the office and explained that I needed him to increase his numbers as far as traffic stops, citations, arrests etc.. He told me that I can't make him stop cars or write tickets. I was dumbfounded, so far in the 9 years with my department I have worked with officers who were more like partners instead of supervisors or subordinates, we've  worked well together with no one having to be told to do his job.
 I don't know if this officers problem is that he used to be a Lt. and is not used to be told what to do or what exactly his problem is. And to be honest I'm not quite sure how to handle the situation. Ours is a small department (10 officers) and this is the first time I have ever seen this type of response from a subordinate as we have always been like a family in the past and everyone gets along with the others.  
Anyone with supervisory experience who can offer advise on how to best handle this situation?  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:12:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it because he's doing other activity,  (BOV surveillance, etc)  or is it because he has hours of non-productive time hiding behind the quickie mart?

If it's the latter, document his CAD history,  before long a pattern will emerge.  Most Slackers have a set routine.  Track his miles, and calls he's assigned to where someone else does the report.  If he's driving only 30 miles in an area where other officers routinely go 120, and for every 10 calls that generates a report his backup does 9 of them, or if he does not self-initiate at all,  you have a problem.

Counsel him in writing.  Include both what he's doing well, and things he needs improvements on.  Set a date to review his performance on the items you talked about.   Document everything.  He sounds like the "in your face" kind of slacker, those turn into office politics, backstabbing, and lawsuits in a heartbeat.

What's your probationary period for new officers?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:18:48 AM EDT
[#2]
He's right, you can't make him.  However, you don't have to keep him either.
If he hasn't completed his probation, cut him loose.
Based on what you wrote, he seems like he isn't a team player, which seems to be contrary to how you guys like to run your department.  I wouldn't be surprised if there was alot of resentment towards him from the other officers. It will only get worse.

Stay Safe

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top