Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2021 10:22:53 AM EDT

Link to the liberal bill of awesomeness

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (WTVO) — The Illinois House has passed a controversial police reform bill which will now head to Gov. JB Pritzker’s desk to be signed into law.

House Bill 3653 passed the House with a 60-50 vote after being approved by the Senate just before 5 a.m.

A modified version of the comprehensive police reform plan would eliminate cash bail within 2 years; allow the use of deadly force only when an officer acts in self defense or defending others from bodily harm; makes it easier to decertify officers by eliminating signed affidavit of complaint; limits the purchase of specialized tactical (military) equipment; and mandates the use of police body cameras for all officers by 2025.

A provision which would have removed qualified immunity for individual police officers, potentially exposing them to civil lawsuits, was eliminated from the new version of the bill.

“Too many Illinois families have experienced the pain of losing a loved one or watched their communities suffer – I’ve felt that pain and loss myself. But today, Illinois is helping lead the way in addressing the root causes of violence and trauma,” said Bertha Purnell, coordinator of the Chicago chapter for Crime Survivors for Safety and Justice. “For far too long, public safety policies have focused on over-incarceration, rather than prevention, rehabilitation, and victim services for communities most impacted by violence. Today, our elected officials affirmed that we must address trauma and rehabilitation to ensure healthier and safer lives for our children and families.”

Law enforcement across Illinois have opposed the bill.

“It will make it difficult, if not impossible, to hold suspects in custody when they have been accused of crimes,” said Loves Park Police Chief Chuck Lynde. “It prevents the use of force in almost all situations, including those which are life threatening.”

The bill was introduced by the Illinois Legislative Black Caucus in response to nationwide social justice calls for police reform following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis last year.

67th District Representative Maurice West (D) is part of the legislative Black Caucus, which helped write the amendment.

“The events of the past year have also reminded us of the importance of addressing systemic racism. I remain a strong proponent of needed police reform, as well as efforts to improve education and economic opportunities for disadvantaged communities. Too many in our community have had to deal with the consequences and enabling of intolerance; action cannot be delayed,” West said Wednesday.

“Unfortunately, on a local, state and federal level, recent ethics scandals have caused many residents to lose trust in our institutions to do the right thing. I share the same concern, which is why I am prioritizing work on ethics reforms that can help restore faith in our government,” he continued.

Rep. Joe Sosnowski (R-69th) responded to news of the bill’s passage, saying “If the Springfield leadership was interested in an open and transparent process, together we could have come up with better solutions. I am deeply concerned about public safety and the ability of our law enforcement agencies to do their jobs in the wake of this bill’s passage.”

Sen. Dave Syverson (R-Rockford), who voted against the bill, said, “This proposal will put violent offenders back on the streets, put an end to cash bail, endangers our residents and threatens the law enforcement profession in Illinois. It’s unbelievable. The safety and wellbeing of our communities and citizens are at stake here. We cannot afford not to get criminal justice reform right. Unfortunately, those who supported this bill, did not agree.

“I respect our local law enforcement and value the safety of our communities above all else. This was shortsighted and devastating anti-police legislation that should not have passed. I voted no this morning and vow to continue standing with our police officers.”

The Illinois Law Enforcement Coalition released the following statement Wednesday:

“We are extremely disappointed and saddened in the process, the lack of discussion with members of the law enforcement community, and the ultimate outcome in the Illinois General Assembly today. The lawmakers who voted in favor of this criminal-favoring legislation ignored the pleas of more than 112,000 petition-signing citizens and refused to listen to the concerns of law enforcement. Our communities will be less safe if this legislation is signed into law. We urge Governor J.B. Pritzker to stand up for the majority of Illinois citizens who value their lives, possessions and well-being and veto this bill and its extreme provisions. Today’s outcome, although it is ominous for Illinois, does not diminish our commitment. Our members will continue to use all authorized means to protect every community.”

Governor JB Pritzker issued the following statement following the passage of HB3653.  

“I have long held that an essential mark of good governance is a willingness to change the laws that have failed the people of Illinois,” said Governor JB Pritzker. “This criminal justice package carries with it the opportunity to shape our state into a lesson in true justice for the nation by abolishing cash bail, modernizing sentencing laws, instituting a certification and decertification system for police officers statewide, requiring body cameras, reforming crowd control response, and amplifying law enforcement training standards. I was proud to make ending cash bail and modernizing sentencing laws a legislative priority of my administration, and I have long pledged my support to the Illinois Legislative Black Caucus in their efforts to pass not just criminal justice reform and police accountability measures, but also to truly root out the systemic racism that pulses through all our nation’s institutions by pursuing greater equity in healthcare, higher goals in education, and deeper investments in economic opportunity for communities that have for too long been left out and left behind.

In addition to recognizing the countless activists and advocates who have dedicated years – if not lifetimes – to pushing for change in a nation that locks people up at the highest rate in the world, I want to specifically offer my gratitude to Committee Chairs Representative Justin Slaughter and Senator Elgie Sims, Senator Robert Peters, Attorney General Kwame Raoul, the ACLU of Illinois, the Coalition to End Money Bond, the Illinois Justice Project, the People’s Lobby, and all who have committed themselves to building a fairer and more equitable Illinois.”
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:36:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Shitcago will go from bad to worse
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:46:52 AM EDT
[#2]
"Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on."  Robert Kennedy

So..I'll have a Coke and Smile please.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#3]
They managed to shut down second city cop to kill off the real news of what is going on crime wise in the big windy.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They managed to shut down second city cop to kill off the real news of what is going on crime wise in the big windy.
View Quote

Someone posted this link quite a few months ago and I’ve been following it out of curiosity. 2021 numbers for Chicago aren’t out there yet.

https://heyjackass.com/
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Just saw a new piece about the stores on Michigan Ave closing up or going bankrupt.

They got hit hard by "protesters" in flash mobs in 2019 and the JB shut everything down for 2020.   According to UHaul IL. is #2 for outflow only beat by CA.  Everyone that can afford to get out is except me.   Damn family and job.

Not seeing how this REFORM is going to benefit anyone with an actual job.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I went there as soon as I saw this and found out it was down. The truth is getting buried deeper and deeper.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:03:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess body cams must stop “systemic racism”.  They also stop officer discretion.

We don’t have body cams yet but it’ll probably happen one day. Whenever it does, when someone uninvolved asks me what happened in their neighbor’s house and that they have the right to know, I currently tell them it’s none of their business. Whenever body cams hit my agency, I plan to hand out the forms where they can request the footage and tell them “I can’t tell you what happened in your neighbor’s house but here’s how you request the body cam footage so you can see it for yourself.”

Fuck your privacy. Your private and personal affairs are now open for the world to see because your fellow citizens have demanded it. Virtually nothing I do at work is private for me.....but it is for those in the communities I work in.....until the body cams get here.

Be careful what you wish for....you might actually get it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#8]
The ACLU now argues against body cameras being worn because of "privacy" issues.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The ACLU now argues against body cameras being worn because of "privacy" issues.
View Quote

They are actually kind of right but for different motivations. They don’t want their supporters’ actions to be shown for what they really are.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Just let it all burn.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

And officers are prohibited from watching their own footage for report writing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#12]
What about PEDOTUS and his send in the 'social workers' strategy for stabilizing violent criminals?  

What could go wrong?  

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where is that? IL?

Here’s my police report.
“On 01-15-2021 I arrested John Doe. See body camera footage. End of report”

Defense attorneys are gonna hate that. Instead of reading a couple page report, now they are gonna have to watch hours of footage. Defense attorneys are gonna cost even more!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:40:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What about PEDOTUS and his send in the 'social workers' strategy for stabilizing violent criminals?  

What could go wrong?  

https://media.giphy.com/media/ADr35Z4TvATIc/giphy.gif
View Quote

I’m all for it. I’m ready for social workers to start dying for the cause.

Awhile back a buddy of mine recommended to an ambulance crew they would need to sedate the patient.....LE had already been fighting him. The paramedic got all huffy and said he would make that call since it’s not up to LE to make it and decided not to sedate. They loaded the patient in the back and took off. A short time later the ambulance called in to 911 pleading for LE. Turns out the ambulance personnel got their ass kicked by the guy in the back. It took LE to subdue him again and this time they sedated him.

Once social workers start dying, they will demand we secure the scene before they come in. And when we do so, they will be the first to complain when we hurt or kill someone who is “in crisis”. I cannot wait for the day I deny a “secure the scene” request by social workers. My area is not full of stupid idiots though so I doubt I’ll see that for the rest of my career. I will be laughing when it happens elsewhere nationwide.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Where is that? IL?

Here’s my police report.

Defense attorneys are gonna hate that. Instead of reading a couple page report, now they are gonna have to watch hours of footage. Defense attorneys are gonna cost even more!!
View Quote

When our city admin tried to stop us from reviewing videos during the initial roll-out of our BWC program, we basically did just that.  We wrote extremely general reports that lacked a ton of detail and were a half-step above a JD Buck Savage “saw drunk, arrested same” level of report.  We basically included “The exact details of the arrest were recorded on BWC”.  It didn’t last long before they finalized the policy and decided that we should be watching the videos when doing reports.  And the city attorney’s office, as much as they have contempt for us, has been 100% in favor of us watching our videos.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Where is that? IL?

Here’s my police report.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where is that? IL?

Here’s my police report.

Just going on what their argument about what the ACLU wants.

They've been pushing for that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:05:18 AM EDT
[#17]
800 Murders in Chicago last year... Cops I know are trying to get out of Illinois ASAP.

They new era of policing will be nothing more then report writing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where is that? IL?

Here’s my police report.

Gotcha. I hadn’t heard that had actually become policy anywhere although nothing would surprise me. We have dipshits right here on this site insisting on the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

When our city admin tried to stop us from reviewing videos during the initial roll-out of our BWC program, we basically did just that.  We wrote extremely general reports that lacked a ton of detail and were a half-step above a JD Buck Savage “saw drunk, arrested same” level of report.  We basically included “The exact details of the arrest were recorded on BWC”.  It didn’t last long before they finalized the policy and decided that we should be watching the videos when doing reports.  And the city attorney’s office, as much as they have contempt for us, has been 100% in favor of us watching our videos.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They are actually kind of right but for different motivations. They don’t want their supporters’ actions to be shown for what they really are.
View Quote

QFT

we should all be allowed t0 resist arrest with no repercussions
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#21]
We just (like a couple weeks ago) got body cams. Already it has saved me on two use of force and one complaint. Way worth the headache of logging and tagging videos and making sure I turn it on after the prior minute of me watching YouTube videos has passed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top