Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2020 11:51:31 AM EDT
I have been keeping my eye on eBay for used gun locks for police cars.  I was wanting to mount something in my Jeep to secure a rifle when out and about.  I was in LE years ago and we kept our shotguns mounted to the cages, and I was looking for a similar setup.

I had narrowed my choice down to the Santa Cruz SC-5 or SC-6.  Prices on eBay go up and down, and I had missed a few good deals, so I set up alerts to my phone.

One night as I was falling asleep, I got an alert for one that looked good.  It was an SC-5, butt plate, and mount for a roll bar.  It was sold by a law enforcement supply place in Texas.  The auction said it did not come with a key, but the electronics worked fine.  I didn't think too much about the lack of key, I have seen several on eBay with no key.  I just assumed these were usually bought at auction and keys were lost, etc.  I figured I could get a replacement key from the manufacturer.  The price was good, so I jumped, and then went to bed.

In the morning, I sent Santa Cruz an email asking how to get a key.  They replied that I would need to send them pictures of the lock.  A few days later, the package arrived from Texas and I took pictures and emailed them.  Since it was the weekend, I had to wait for a response.

I got an email this morning, and it was not what I expected.

That is the SC-5 universal lock with the #2 flat key. That key is reserved for Law Enforcement and government agencies.

Do you have any similar credentials?
View Quote

I guess I don't need a key if the electronics work, but if there is some issue/failure with the electronics, then I have a stuck rifle.

So here's the big question - how big of a deal morally/ethically/legally would it be to try to get one of these keys through someone in LE?  Is it verboten to even ask, or is it not that big a deal?  I'd like to ask someone to get a key for me, but I don't want to get anyone in trouble.

If I can't get a key, then I'll probably keep looking for one that uses handcuff keys, swap that one for this one on the mount, and try to sell this one.

The lock/mount:

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#1]
If captured in possession of such a key, the Geneva Conventions would allow the Authorities to shoot you on the spot as a saboteur - spy.  

Joking - in Reality it is no big deal.   Just don't loan it out to your Homies to jack some Gats from the PoPo...
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Most departments I worked for had handcuff keys as the backup lock, so I can’t speak to getting a replacement key.  However, if your electronics fail, those Santa Cruz locks are easy to get into.

[669] TERRIBLE Police Car Rifle Lock Opened 4 Ways (Santa Cruz Gunlocks SC-5)
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If captured in possession of such a key, the Geneva Conventions would allow the Authorities to shoot you on the spot as a saboteur - spy.  

Joking - in Reality it is no big deal.   Just don't loan it out to your Homies to jack some Gats from the PoPo...
View Quote

Yeah, the timing is probably bad for this - there's already been a few stories of rifles taken from cop cars during riots.  I can see not wanting just anyone to have a key.

This is why I'd rather not have one that uses handcuff keys.  Anyone can get one of those (I still have a few lying around, and I've been out of the business for 20 years).  Hopefully I can find someone to help me get a key for this one.  Wink, wink.  Nudge, nudge.

Link Posted: 11/16/2020 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#4]
In after LPL.

I'd ask the manufacturer about re-keying.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Most departments I worked for had handcuff keys as the backup lock, so I can’t speak to getting a replacement key.  However, if your electronics fail, those Santa Cruz locks are easy to get into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-dQj8N196g
View Quote

Wow.  That was easier than I thought.

I know the SC-6 has a different ratcheting mechanism to prevent a shim from being used, but the magnet thing really surprised me.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Just wow after LPL video.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I did some more digging and it looks like all of the Santa Cruz locks can use the #2 key.  I have found a few locks with the key on eBay for under $30 shipped.

This is going to probably be a spring project anyway (need to take the top off the Jeep to get a mount set up) so I think I'll just keep watching eBay for a cheap older lock with the #2 key.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Swing by a local locksmith and they may be able to help.
Take the lock with you and any info you have on it.
Most will have a computer program called "code source" that has info for millions of keys.
If it is in that program then it will have the key blank and key cut info.
They slap the appropriate blank in their machine and cut you a key.
Only costs a few bucks.
Worst case they say they don't have it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Swing by a local locksmith and they may be able to help.
Take the lock with you and any info you have on it.
Most will have a computer program called "code source" that has info for millions of keys.
If it is in that program then it will have the key blank and key cut info.
They slap the appropriate blank in their machine and cut you a key.
Only costs a few bucks.
Worst case they say they don't have it.
View Quote

I was able to get a couple of keys cut by a local locksmith, so I think I'm good now.

Thanks for all of the replies!

Link Posted: 11/25/2020 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Look at the Blac-rac much better product...
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:20:06 AM EDT
[#11]
YouTube search lock picking lawyer. He pretty much gives you the lowdown on every lock or system sucks and what to look for. My patrol car has patriot supply locks which are now Santa Cruz. Only slows someone down.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:38:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I have one running around the shop somewhere its new old stock with the electronic switch and Key. I got it with a buncha stuff from a dept rearm . Hit me up to remind me this evening I will see if i cant find the little box that those are in . Shit gets tossed round by my Chimney techs  so i gotta hunt a little but have seen both recently . The one i have is a lot nicer and more modern.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 7:51:40 AM EDT
[#13]
@joker23   How bout this setup can be reconfigured for shotty or m4. Its been floating around since we did rearms I I think it came from St. Charles PD

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Didn't realize people were still posting in this topic, just saw the mention.

I appreciate the offer, but I think that for what I want to do the SC5 will work (I hope).  The Pro Gard might work, too, but I'm not sure.  I looked on their website and it shows the rack used with a carry handle AR, but not an optic.

I need to make an MS Paint picture of what I'm trying to do.  My Jeep has a soundbar with holes for mounting a hard top (I only have a soft top).  I want to bolt two pieces of angle iron or something similar so that the angle iron goes to the rear of the Jeep from both mounting holes.  I then want to mount the SC5 and rack to the angle iron so that AR is on its side with the barrel to the driver's side and the stock to the passenger side.  Being on its side should keep it from being noticed by anyone just walking by.

I'm waiting for spring when it gets warm enough to take the top off so that I can make a mock up and see if it will work how I am imagining it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Lol thats ok I don’t know how many people I’ve tried to give this to
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lol thats ok I don’t know how many people I’ve tried to give this to
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top