Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2004 9:19:40 AM EDT
Hi all...I'm new to the forum.

A question:  I was talking to a friend back east and the topic of LEO/Fire coordination on calls came up.  He told me in no uncertain terms that the two groups had no real love for each other back East, sometimes to the point of fights.  Is this true?

I have had the opposite experience here in California.  Usually we work hand in hand and try to help each other on calls.  Granted, we ALL talk smack but I know most of us maintain a real respect for each other's profession (aside from our yearly police/fire football game where we kick fire's rear! >:) )

I would like to hear your opinions, especially East coat LEO's and Firefighters...  
Link Posted: 4/6/2004 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#1]
NY's Bravest are the most beloved.  Everyone loves a fireman...

In all seriousness, there is a debate going on now on who takes control of an emergency situation.  Sure we make our cracks, but I believe there is a respect for each others jobs, even if they are dumb enough to get drunk on duty and slam each other in the face with steel chairs [:D]
Link Posted: 4/6/2004 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Where I am in Texas now, we are like brothers..

The last department I worked for though, the relationship suckes ass.  I was a Fire Fighter / EMT going Arson Inspector route (changed my mind though and became full time leo) and the police wanted to arrest the driver for not clearing a scene.  This alone was one of my major decission factors.

I think it just depends on the city..

c

edited for spelling
Link Posted: 4/6/2004 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#3]
No problems here.  The only trouble I've seen around Memphis between fire and police turn out to be personal.  Everybody has their share of dickheads working for them.

E-95
Link Posted: 4/7/2004 7:29:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I am in north, north Cal.
No problems here either.  Many of our LEO hang out with firemen.

What does a fireman and a policeman have in common?  

They both want to be a policeman.[;D]
Link Posted: 4/7/2004 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#5]
No problems here either! Being a volly in a rural small town in a rural county, we have to depend on each other! The town I live in is in the southern tip of the county, usually only two deputies here. So you have the thin blue (or green) line!

We have no problem backing those guys up in a time of need![}:D]
Link Posted: 4/7/2004 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#6]
If fire would not park their apparatus right on the crime scene almost everytime, and block six lanes of traffic for a minor injury collision, I would have no problem with them. [peep]

JK, The fire boys and the boys in blue (and tan) get along fine in Phoenix. [;0]

AZTrooper
Link Posted: 4/7/2004 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If fire would not park their apparatus right on the crime scene almost everytime, and block six lanes of traffic for a minor injury collision, I would have no problem with them. [peep]

JK, The fire boys and the boys in blue (and tan) get along fine in Phoenix. [;0]

AZTrooper
View Quote

Well, if the boys in blue would stop directing traffic through my accident scene I wouldn't tell my driver to block every lane he can.

[peep]

E-95
Link Posted: 4/7/2004 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am in north, north Cal.
No problems here either.  Many of our LEO hang out with firemen.

What does a fireman and a policeman have in common?  

They both want to be a policeman.[;D]
View Quote

Yea, I wanted to be a policeman.  Unfortunately I scored too high on the city aptitude test so they made me a firefighter instead.

[;)]

E-95

By the way, welcome to the board NorCal_LEO!  [beer]
Link Posted: 4/7/2004 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#9]
State law in CT says the the highest ranking fire official has control of the scene until an All Clear is given. Then the cops can have it. I love bieng able to boss the cops around.
Link Posted: 4/8/2004 12:15:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Just remember who carries the guns

haha I'm just kidding.  Both protect and serve making each other unique brothers.
Link Posted: 4/8/2004 6:28:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Water fairies are aight...

[:D]
Link Posted: 4/8/2004 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#12]
One of my training deputies said fire fighters are wife stealers.  Well, that's his experience anyway. [:D]
Link Posted: 4/8/2004 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
One of my training deputies said fire fighters are wife stealers.  Well, that's his experience anyway. [:D]
View Quote

Can we help it if women can't resist us because we're better looking and well endowed?  [;D]

E-95
Link Posted: 4/8/2004 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know much about city relationshsips, but I work for a large county (1200 sq mls) and have to deal with several different volunteer agencies, most of the people are both the firefighters and EMTs.  Most are good, but they usually get to a scene before us (we are very short staffed and often have to travel across the county to a call) and usually have it all *ucked up by the time we get there.  I mean, if a guy is quite visibly dead, why try to revive him?  This has happened several times, in varying types of situations (suicides, traffic crashes, etc.) some hotshot decides he is gonna bring back the dead.  I respect the job they do (I really don't want to go into a burning building just to save it's foundation, unless there is someone inside) but get very frustrated with them at times.
Link Posted: 4/8/2004 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#15]
[b]Not in Seattle[/b], [url=http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2001818129_policeguild18m.html] fingers crossed![/url]

Even at the point of putting public safety at risk. Last I heard they [b]both[/b] get ice cream!

Sheesh....

Link Posted: 4/8/2004 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I always worked in the jail but when I would go out and ride patrol the local FF/EMTs and the cops got along great. I remember the officer I was riding with told me that we never leave a scene until the EMT/FF do. The call was a heart attack and the EMT went to go load the DOA in the meat wagon...I thought the call was over and headed back to the cruiser. The lead officer said hey they got equipment laying around out here we don't leave until they are finished. I thought that was pretty cool and showed great cooperation between the two entities.
Link Posted: 4/8/2004 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I kinda thought so... sounds like everything is pretty much universal with LEO/Fire no matter what city you are in.

Sidenote:  When I was a rook newbie poo-butt trainee I always thought it must be nice to go screaming around town code3 in the rig, stop at a fender-bender once in a while, take a pulse, look cool and then go back to the station and watch the game...

That was until I watched the FD guys putting out [b]MY HOUSE[/b] one July afternoon in 105+ heat! (True story)  I think I'll stick to the occasional fight with a drunk and writing tickets! [:\]

Thanks for the welcome all! [:)]
Link Posted: 4/9/2004 6:31:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Professional firefighters/EMT's?  Great guys and none better.

Volunteers? Well,  I've had less than sterling experiences there, and several flat out horror stories.  I  told one vollie EMT that if he ever tried to treat me or mine I'd shoot him.  This is the same guy that tried to rescusitate an accident victim  who had been cut in half at the belly button.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2004 9:50:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Can we help it if women can't resist us because we're better looking and well endowed?  [;D]

E-95
View Quote

Shameless E-95, just shameless.

[LOL]
Link Posted: 4/9/2004 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#20]
We had a semi fire on I80 not to long ago. Highway Patrol was on scene & said the tractor was fully engulfed & we could see it 3-4 miles out.

The fire was on the East bound lane West of town so we had to cross over from the West bound lane to the East bound lane.

HP has the slow lane closed but the hammer lane was open allowing cars to drive right past the semi fire.

When the engine arrived on scene they attempted to cross into the East bound lane but were unable to. Seems nobody stopped for the big fire truck with it's lights on & the HP who had 2 cars on scene refused to slow/stop traffic on I80. Engine had a HP car to both the right and left of them, but the troopers sat in their cars watching the fire.

I had to go out and physically stop traffic so the engine could cross the hammer lane & put out the fire.

Then another semi went whizzing by missing a FF by less than 2 feet & the wind almost pulled him off ballance. After that I went and shut down both Eastbound lanes of I80 and chatted with the trooper (who was sitting in his nice warm car) about how 80 would remain closed till my fire fighters safty was not going to be comprosmised by a semi.

Needless to say he put on his coat & not only opened up one eastbound lane, but he also slowed down traffic.

However, normally HP & the SO work hand in hand with us.
Link Posted: 4/9/2004 12:25:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Down here we may kid around and play the occasional prank on each other, but the hose boys are allright.
Link Posted: 4/9/2004 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

[LOL]
View Quote

Who needs shame when you're hung like a bull?

[;D]

E-95
Link Posted: 4/9/2004 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[LOL]
View Quote

[;D]

E-95
View Quote

Like you guys aren't compensating for something with those big hoses and trucks [:P]
Link Posted: 4/10/2004 7:10:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I work in a small town P.D. in Florida.  

The F.D. and P.D. work together like brothers and sisters.  They're the first to jump in if we need help with a unruly person.  

They'll hurt em then patch em.  Gotta love that attitude.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 4/10/2004 10:21:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[LOL]
View Quote

[;D]

E-95
View Quote

Like you guys aren't compensating for something with those big hoses and trucks [:P]
View Quote

It's my lie, I can tell it any way I want!

E-95
Link Posted: 4/10/2004 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, my dept and the surrounding agencies in the Houston area seem to get along just fine.  

Why in the world would I want to piss the fire/EMS guys off when they are gonna be the first ones to help my ass if I ever get hurt.
Link Posted: 4/10/2004 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#27]
We had a arms suicidal guy (loaded and cocked .357 mag revolver)hold up in a condo.  The paramedic on scene was duel trained police/fire.  He asked if I had an extra gun.  I gave him my back-up .38 special snub nose.  He had my snub nose trained on the guy the entire time.  They hate to stage on hot calls.  

He caught holly hell for that one.  No time off but a good ass chewing.  I won't lend the paramedic another gun unless the shooting starts.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 4/10/2004 12:54:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I sense no animosity between the local police and the fire crews, but I have noticed that whenever there's a complete asshole driving on the road near me, driving like he doesn't have to obey any rules,  as often as not, he's got an IAFF decal or other device displayed in his vehicle window that tells me that he's a firefighter.

In this area, at least, firefighters are more likely to be jerks (at least by the way they drive) than anybody else.

But that's cool with me, as long as they're doing their jobs right when the smoke and fire commences!

CJ
Link Posted: 4/10/2004 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I sense no animosity between the local police and the fire crews, but I have noticed that whenever there's a complete asshole driving on the road near me, driving like he doesn't have to obey any rules,  as often as not, he's got an IAFF decal or other device displayed in his vehicle window that tells me that he's a firefighter.

In this area, at least, firefighters are more likely to be jerks (at least by the way they drive) than anybody else.

But that's cool with me, as long as they're doing their jobs right when the smoke and fire commences!

CJ
View Quote

You can buy those decals and devices all around.  You don't have to have or show I.D..  

I've found, some people buy them and think the police won't mess with them if they drive like jerks.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 4/10/2004 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#30]
i was EMS in the mid 80's. there was always a love/hate relationship with local pd's. we loved them when we were shot at and hated them most of the other times [:D]

in my experience most of them were like us. On scene to do their job and handle the situation quickly. There are jerks on both sides.

Motorcycle cops tended to be the BIGGEST pricks we dealt with. They always seemed to have bigger ego's than ANYONE of any of the services.

mike
Link Posted: 4/10/2004 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I don't know much about city relationshsips, but I work for a large county (1200 sq mls) and have to deal with several different volunteer agencies, most of the people are both the firefighters and EMTs.  Most are good, but they usually get to a scene before us (we are very short staffed and often have to travel across the county to a call) and usually have it all *ucked up by the time we get there.[red]  I mean, if a guy is quite visibly dead, why try to revive him?[/red]  This has happened several times, in varying types of situations (suicides, traffic crashes, etc.) some hotshot decides he is gonna bring back the dead.  I respect the job they do (I really don't want to go into a burning building just to save it's foundation, unless there is someone inside) but get very frustrated with them at times.
View Quote

Maybe it has something to do with something called a SOP or Procedure?[:|]

We have some in place that say we 'Work''em in some situations. Especially if family members are present, and they are 'Obviously' dead when you arrive on scene. The last thing you would want to do is say, they're dead can't do nothing for 'ya! Then you end up fighting the family member, 'cause they're in denial and will usually take the anger out on you!

We have disposition codes we use for dead on scene to help in these matters, so dispatch will know, but family members are usually left dumbfounded!

Now for the obviously dead (MVA, Tramua Reds, etc)... It's just that Obvious!

Link Posted: 4/10/2004 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Professional firefighters/EMT's?  Great guys and none better.

Volunteers? Well,  I've had less than sterling experiences there, and several flat out horror stories.  I  told one vollie EMT that if he ever tried to treat me or mine I'd shoot him.  This is the same guy that tried to rescusitate an accident victim  who had been cut in half at the belly button.  
View Quote

Rent a cops/security guards? Great guys and none better!

Professional LEOS? Well,  I've had less than sterling experiences there, and several flat out horror stories.  I  told one LEO that if he ever ran in front of my brush truck again I would run his ass over! This is the same guy that was in the local paper for 'Saving' a family by running into a burning building. Turns out it was just some morton fish sticks in the oven burning!  
Link Posted: 4/10/2004 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I've had less than sterling experiences there, and several flat out horror stories.  I  told one LEO that if he ever ran in front of my brush truck again I would run his ass over!
View Quote

Geeh...I wonder why your experiences have been less than stellar?
Link Posted: 4/10/2004 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Nah... I don't mind the hose draggers... they are the best damn basement savers I have ever met!!!  [beer][peep]
Link Posted: 4/10/2004 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[LOL]
View Quote

[;D]

E-95
View Quote

View Quote

E-95
View Quote

LOL, you're alright E-95.
Link Posted: 4/11/2004 8:28:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had less than sterling experiences there, and several flat out horror stories.  I  told one LEO that if he ever ran in front of my brush truck again I would run his ass over!
View Quote

Geeh...I wonder why your experiences have been less than stellar?
View Quote

That post was sarcasm in its entirety!![nana]
Link Posted: 4/11/2004 9:17:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

E-95
View Quote

LOL, you're alright E-95.
View Quote

[size=1]Thanks dude.  And please stop typing so loud.  I'm hungover.[/size=1]

E-95
Link Posted: 4/12/2004 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#38]
We get along great with the LEOs in our county.
Link Posted: 4/22/2004 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#39]
In all the years my Dad was an LEO in a small city there was only one firefighter that the PD wanted to hang draw and quarter.  He was also the ambulance driver, one of the Boy Scout OA advisors and all around nice guy except for one bad habit.  Oh yeah the FFs wanted to hang him probably more than everybody else.

His bad habit was he would hum and whistle at the same time, different tunes.  And goofy country tunes at that. Wierdest goldarn thing you ever heard.
Link Posted: 4/23/2004 7:04:30 PM EDT
[#40]
We get along really well here, with a few exceptions. Every now and then the SHP will import a bunch of new troopers who decide they ahve to prove something. The latest one is they were going to ticket anyone with green strobes or clear strobes behind any kind of tint because they "could be confused for blue". Now of course the law says quite clearly that blue lighting, and only blue, is verboten, but the latest incarnation here wants to make it up as they go.

All the local PD's and the SO we get along great with. The troopers who have been around a while we get along great with. The new ones learn quickly they need our help more often they they care to admit and quickly come around. I am not sure what kind of BS they learn at trooper school but they all have an attitude when they get here.

We used to have disagreements about shutting down lanes for safety, but after two troopers were killed by traffic here on I-40 in 2 years they now see our point exactly. Usually even after we are done at a MVA we hang around just to keep the big red truck as a safety buffer if it is in a bad spot.

NC is also one of the few states where firefighters can legally do traffic control, so its not uncommon at all for the troopers (only one or two on duty at a time) to call for the departments to do traffic control when they would otherwise not be needed. It's  the response the troopers get to that the page at 3am for "traffic control only" that shows them how much they are liked individually!
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 1:14:25 PM EDT
[#41]
You know what?  I'd rather not say.....not always a good relationship though......there are more than a couple on either side who have NO love for the otherside....
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 6:57:34 AM EDT
[#42]
As stated in other forums...we all wear the same color blue. It's enough that the idiots/frequent fliers can;t tell the difference between a POINTY badge and a ROUND one!

Naah - we've had a couple of go-rounds with certain PD or FD guys with a hard on for the other agency - I tell 'em to bite. They back us, we back them.

Nuff said.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 8:30:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Can't say that I've ever heard or seen any problems between us & the deputies. (Of course,
you might have the occasional dickhead, but that's the exception.....)
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#44]
I have no problems with the volunteer evidence distruction squad. GRIN
My truck will usually out run their firetruck.
Actually, our local volunteer firemen do a good job of securing the scene
and providing traffic control when we need it.
Now the Ambulance crew, I think they have a regulation that prevents them
from walking more than 10 steps from the ambulance.
I am still waiting for a burning car/house to explode and burn the paint off the side of
the ambulance.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#45]
i remember there was a thread about some years ago on here. was pretty much the same; never had any problems.

oh yea, welcome aboard!

the cleaner
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top