Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2003 3:14:44 PM EDT
Gerald "Butch" Mckenna was found dead today at approximately 0500 at his deck in the 3rd floor of the Oklahoma City police department headquesters. Mckeena had committed suicide by shooting himself.  Mckeena was a 24 year veteran of the police department and he had spent 15 years in sex crimes.  Mckeenna was going to be awared Police officer of the Year by the department  

www.http://www.channeloklahoma.com/news/2711156/detail.html        

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#1]
R.I.P.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#2]
My condolences to Officer McKenna's family & friends....

To deal on a daily basis with the victims of sexual assaults for 15 years, he must have been an unusally dedicated investigator. That would be a lot of horror stories and bad memories to take home with you at the end of the shift....

Most people don't realize the toll this job exacts from the people who have to deal with the worst elements of human behavior over and over again. Besides the obvious physical danger, the astronomical divorce rate, the high rate of alcoholism, and the risk of heart attacks, the suicide rate among career and retired officers is one of the things that no one in the job likes to talk about.

I hope he is at peace now.....
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Most people don't realize the toll this job exacts from the people who have to deal with the worst elements of human behavior over and over again. Besides the obvious physical danger, the astronomical divorce rate, the high rate of alcoholism, and the risk of heart attacks, the suicide rate among career and retired officers is one of the things that no one in the job likes to talk about.

I hope he is at peace now.....
View Quote

RIP.

And these being the first things my instructors have chisled into my head Over and over and over again and for good reason.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Condolances and sorrow to you and your department.
I can honestly say I know how you feel, I lost one of my partners of 12 years the same way this past June.
First the pain of loss, then the anger, and finally the realization and saddness that another good friend and team mate is gone.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#5]
A really sad thing..  Our prayers go out to his family , friends and co workers.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#6]
[:(]
Art in KY
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:29:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Just to let everyone know Officer Mckenna funeral will be held on Monday Dec.22,2003 at 10:00.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top