Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2003 11:50:03 AM EDT
The undersheriff was looking at our ammo supply and we are about out of ammo for our
Mini 14s. Currently we are using PMC that they bought quite a while back.
I need recommendations for duty ammo and who has the best price on it.
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Aren't Mini 14s chambered for the .223 and not the 5.56?
If so, you could have a KB by fireing 5.56 out of it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Aren't Mini 14s chambered for the .223 and not the 5.56?
View Quote

From the girlfriend's Ruger Mini-14 Owners Manual, page 8.
[i]"The Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifles are chambered for the .223 Remington (5.56mm) cartridge. The Ranch Rifle is designed to use either standardiz(sic) U.S. military or factory loaded sporting .223 (5.56mm) cartridges manufactured in accordance with U.S. industry practice"[/i]

Now before someone goes and says that it's [i]only[/i] Ranch Rifles that accept 5.56mm, go to the Ruger web site where the manual is online. All Mini-14's will shoot 5.56mm.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#3]
kels:
I second what natez said about checking on a state purchase list. If KS has one, you will find the prices to be better than anywhere else you can go, IMHO. I used to order departmental ammo directly from some of the wholesalers, but state purchase price puts all of them to shame. IIRC, the last batch of Speer .45 230 Gold Dot I ordered came in at $217.00/K. Once you take off federal excise tax for L/E sales, and figure in the bulk pricing breaks, the price looks really good. And a bonus in NC is that the quoted price includes all shipping on orders of 3 cases or more, with a guaranteed delivery time of 30 days or less.

Try a search on KS state government websites, and look for state purchase contract info.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#4]
While it will be the cheapest priced ammo we can find. There is no bid process here.
We are so small that we will just buy it.
What it looks like is we will buy about 500 rounds of the Federal or Winchester military FMJ for practice and either some hollow/soft point PMC or Black Hills for duty use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top