Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2003 9:46:21 AM EDT
For those who wish to carry AR15s on duty, my PD requires those Officers to go through a local 2 day patrol carbine rifle class. Even though it is a joke, it did certify me to carry my RRA M4 Tactical Entry on duty. Now, there are a few of us who wish to go to a better, more 'advanced' type of school, possibly a tactical or SWAT style AR15 style course.

Where does your department send you or allow you to go for your AR15 training? Most likely, this course will be individual funded on my PD. I wasnt sure what is available school-wise, which is the best, where are they, how long are they, how much they cost, etc.

Thanks for any and all info.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
ours is 40 hrs and taught locally, other agencies send their people to our class.

I'd say go to one of the big disneyland schools like Thunder Ranch if you want some better training.  I'm sure there are local schools nead Indiana.   Try this for example:  http://www.ops-se.com/Classes/TacRifle.htm

they are just south of you in TN.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#2]
My class here is a week long with a one hour night fire class. we shot from the 100,75,50 yard lines.  We have to score a 90% to carry a AR15.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have the funds I think you would like Thunder Ranch. I went thruogh their tactical handgun course at NTOA and they had a tactical rifle course going on next to us. I have heard it is a good course. If it is anything like the tactical course it is good.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#5]
My primary agency only issues rifles(mini 14s) to Sgts. They've been issued now for about 3 years with ZERO training or qualification provided. Theoretically, the rifles are only for "pest control" and are loaded with 55 gr FMJ.
Back in '98 I put myself through a LEO-centered rifle instructor school; this year TCSD finally sent me to the NRA LE patrol rifle instructors school. I've also neen through a couple of instructors schools courtesy of the military.

My part time agency allows us to carry personally owned AR's after a short block  of instruction( about 4 hours..thats all we could ring out of them fir unstruction time) and a range qualification. Not much, but its something to build on, and the only officers authorized to carry the rifles so far are the Sgts , the agency firearms instructors and a few other officers....

You can expect to pay about $500 per officer to go to an LEO  rifle school. Look into hosting a school  at your agency,,,that will get you (usually) two free seats in the school as hosting agency. Also, the NRA raffles off slots in schools to LEO's,,go on their website for instructions on how to get into the drawing. I've been selected for a couple of schools that way, so there can't be that many officers sending entries in for the available slots.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Pat Rogers will be coming back to Indiana soon.  Also louis awerbuck will be back.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Look into the NRA patrol rifle instructor course.  Mark Frike does a pretty god job.  I suggest you get a good working knowledge of the rifle in the patrol function, then worry about the high speed tactics.  Crawl, Walk, Run young grasshopper.      
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:00:05 AM EDT
[#8]
If you are interested in training in a world class training facility try :

blackwaterusa.com/
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Come on down to Georgia, I teach a 40 hour Patrol Rifle Instructor class that is pretty good and it wont cost you a thing but room and board.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 2:59:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Bill Jeans www.morrigan-consulting.com/

Is an excellent instructor, has tact carbine & tact shotgun classes.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#11]
k9dpd,
Tell me more about your course. What does it cover, what topics are discussed, range time, etc?? Any certification with this course? When will you teach it again, etc.

By the 40 hr course, I assume it is a 5 day course?

My PD currently has 3 Officers, amybe 4, who are interested in finding a good AR15 rifle carbine LE course.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 11:54:58 AM EDT
[#12]
did you get the email I sent you?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:47:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Talk to Captain Ken Campbell at the Boone County Police Department in Lebanon.

He's a Gunsite instructor, and I'm pretty sure he puts on classes in Indiana.

Jay
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I wasnt sure what is available school-wise, which is the best, where are they, how long are they, how much they cost, etc.

Thanks for any and all info.
View Quote

LPD...Right here in Southern Ohio, is a first-class school...[url=http://www.tdiohio.com][b]TDI[/b][/url]. The school's owner, and lead instructor, is John Benner. He's a former Marine, and spent 20+ years as Hamilton County's (Cincinnati) SWAT team commander. I've been through both of the tac-rifle classes that he offers, many rimes, and I learn something new each time I go through. This is a great school, and it's very reasonably priced.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top