Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2018 8:47:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Found a 10-12yr old paycheck stub.  Making less than a dollar more an hour.  The union ate all the raises we have been given over the years, in dues, pension and health and welfare contributions.  I'm too close to retirement to quit now.  Young guys are better off negotiating their own deal.

I think right to work is great for the union worker.  Gives you a little leverage against the crooked International Unions.  The locals are long dead.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:32:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you really think you will get truthful answers here?
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:42:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Unions don't run our retirement so RTW wouldn't have any effect on it.

I wish we would go to RTW because it would bring employers into the state.  Unions don't like it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:43:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Double tap
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Texas is RTW. Some large cities have their own pension, but generally speaking your retirement is state based, either TCDRS (for ESD's, counties, etc) or TMRS (cities). We have both civil service and non civil service departments and both types are IAFF members. Personally I work for a non-civil service department in a right work state and we still have over 95% of the membership paying union dues. The reason is because the union serves its members and provides value / benefits. If the union sits on its ass and does nothing, it will dry up. If it helps its members, families, etc. and personnel see value, they will continue to belong.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#8]
For example, there are obvious death benefits, etc. but daily type things make a big difference. At our department, if you are injured an cannot work the union organizes people to cover shifts and a meal train to bring food. If you have a child or spouse taken to a hospital in a larger city, they will put $500 in your account that day no questions asked to help cover immediate expenses for lodging and food. They send flowers to funerals for your family members, provide scholarships, pay for training that the department won't, advocate for pay and benefits, etc. They host a large 2 day (so each shift can go) lake party for families and firefighters and more.

Basically, if the union works for its members and shows that it provides value, people will still belong and pay dues. If the union is nervous everyone would quit paying and drop their membership, they need to take a long hard look at what they do for their brothers and sisters and why people no longer want to belong if they do not have to.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:27:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just curious how it has affected your pension/retirement? Also, how much of the membership jumped boat and stop paying dues?

I have a feeling RTW is around the corner and I am trying to find out how much it will effect everything. We always hear doom and gloom from the union but I would like to hear from people who have gone through it first hand.
View Quote
In Michigan it doesn’t effect us in public safety as we are “exempted” from envolking right to work. The way I understand it however is that even though you opt out of the union you are still covered under the collective bargaining agreement for benefits, retirement etc.

J-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top