Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2018 10:26:37 PM EDT
Long shot here but figured I'd give it a shot

First time trying to do online grants for the Assistance to FireFighter Grants.    I got drafted into the grant applicator

Anyway, going to call into their help desk tomorrow but ran into a problem....

Lol, the FEMA grant application won't recognize my towns zip code.    It's only 5 numbers, no extension.

Wont recognize it as a five digit zip it needs an extension.   Won't recognize the 0000 as a valid extension (which is the legal one as per our city documents).

I'm guessing their website isnt built for towns with 800 people in it

Anyone else ran into it?
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 10:50:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Might be what your administration says, but USPS may say differently.

Punch your addy into here: https://tools.usps.com/go/zip-code-lookup.htm

and see how they match up
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 2:11:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I used that tool.

It just shows the 5-digit zip code.   And on the SAM website it shows the five digit followed by 0000.  Neither of which is recognized.

Seemed strange to me.  Hoping it's a website glitch on the fema site.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 5:07:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Another option, if the town has a po box use that number as the last four (if less than one thousand use zero (s) on front to bring it to four digits.

I live in a town with less than 800 people and that is what my post office told me to do when internet sites would not take a five digit zip.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 6:38:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Good luck with the AFG.  Man those things suck.

Call the help desk.  They'll get you sorted out.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh it's a giant pain. But hopefully it will get our little dink town new air packs.

Called post office and they just use he box number+ zeroes in front of it. Worked like a carm. Thanks guys!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top