Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2018 6:57:42 PM EDT
Greetings all, my first ARF post.  I am a retired Alabama State Trooper, after 25 years of service  as of 1-1-97. I have worked small town PDs and ambulance EMT jobs, and most lately a County Deputy SRO part-time job for the last 5 years. My total first responder time will be  47 years this December, and I will turn 66 in January. It has been weighing heavily on my heart that is time to let it go, and enjoy whatever time I have left on this blue marble before God calls me home. I was widowed in January of 18 when my wife of  24 years passed from cancer.
I had a very close brush with death in August when my femoral artery opened up after a 'routine' arteriogram of my heart.  
I have mixed emotions. I went into the AL DPS at 18 as a Trooper Cadet. Other than work in a furniture store after school from age  16 to 18, public safety/ems has been my sole occupation.

I have felt that this has been a calling from God to public service for all of these years, and I have been blessed beyond measure.

God watch over you all, and give you guidance and protection from harm.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you for your years of service to your community and by extension, our country. May God give you many years of peace and serenity to enjoy a well deserved retirement. I am sure you still have a lot to offer perhaps in some sort of volunteer capacity. I hope you find your way in a fashion that suits you.

ETA; Not trying to be a downer here but heed this PSA please. According to the insurance guys, it is the 6th through the12th month of initial retirement that is the highest risk statistically. Find things to do and stay active. And again, thanks for all you have done. Come to Dallas and I'll buy you a steak and a beer or two.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI

Welcome first poster!
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the site and to the world of retired LEO's. You have certainly earned it, now go out and do the things that you wanted to do that you are still able to. I've been retired now since March of 2017 after 26 years and I am more busy now than when I was clocking in.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 11:32:28 PM EDT
[#4]
What county did you SRO in?
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 1:14:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#6]
LOTS of experience in your life and resultant wisdom from your service.

My prayer is that you find a way to connect with the next generation and that they have ears for wisdom. What you have to offer cannot be bought from any class or book.

In fact, teaching the EMT program at the local community college would be a good way to pay it forward! Anyway, thanks for being a good and faithful servant and I am sorry that you are bearing the weight of surviving your wife. She was blessed to have you survive her but the flesh cries out for the flesh so bear your cross and know that there will be a reunion someday.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Blount County, SRO for 5 years now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Welcome.  We can help waste some of your new found time here.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I watched a bunch of my co-workers die after 2-3 years post retirement, because their whole life was being a Trooper. I guess that has a lot to do with me hanging on in the field all these years.  I've outlived my mom and dad both, had open heart surgery 11 years ago and stents put in in 2016.  I'll get screwed over royally by social security when it starts next year because of the WEP law, so I may have to still work somewhere, but I know it is time to put the 'hired gun' days behind me.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Congrats! Welcome from another soon to be retired ALEA guy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcome to the site.
Thanks for your many years of community service.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top