Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Also,
Because some of us weren’t mentally made to work in a cubicle all our lives.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe because we think we look good in those "jackboots" we wear that I hear about all the time.............

If y'all get a minute--give a prayer or thought to Desmond J.--N.O.P.D.--he's in the hospital tonight with two bullet wounds.  They say he'll be ok, but I know he ain't where he wants to be right now.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I dunno...  better than being an accountant for Enron??

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd say it's because we like having everything we do hyper-scrutinized and being second-guessed by people who have no clue what our jobs are about.  Yeah, that'd be it.  Oh yeah, and the 'special privileges'  
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I couldn't do anything else...I've tried!!

Here are my reasons:

*Able to be outside, not cramped in a factory or cubicle.

*My shift is 5 ten-hour days on and 4 days off, it's like a vacation every week.

*We are issued .45 caliber duty weapons, unlike most Departments who are too afraid of liability to issue anything over a .40 cal.

*Company car. (We get takehomes)

*Great health insurance.

*Access to a locker full of AR-15's Shotguns, and MP-5's. (The AR's/Shotguns, we can take on patrol with us.

*The job is never boring, and you never do the same thing, the same way twice.

*A real since of achievement and pride at the end of your shift, knowing you did something that made a difference.

*The relationships you forge with the citizens of your community.

*If you see someone doing something you don't like, i.e. speeding, tailgating, D.W.I., beating their spouse/kids, you can do something about it and not have to worry about getting arrested.

All in all it is a great job. True there are some drawbacks, but nothing that would make me go apply at a factory or office job.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:19:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Cause the chicks dig the uniform and the free food
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 11:18:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I couldn't do anything else...I've tried!!

Here are my reasons:

*Able to be outside, not cramped in a factory or cubicle.

*My shift is 5 ten-hour days on and 4 days off, it's like a vacation every week.

*We are issued .45 caliber duty weapons, unlike most Departments who are too afraid of liability to issue anything over a .40 cal.

*Company car. (We get takehomes)

*Great health insurance.

*Access to a locker full of AR-15's Shotguns, and MP-5's. (The AR's/Shotguns, we can take on patrol with us.

*The job is never boring, and you never do the same thing, the same way twice.

*A real since of achievement and pride at the end of your shift, knowing you did something that made a difference.

*The relationships you forge with the citizens of your community.

*If you see someone doing something you don't like, i.e. speeding, tailgating, D.W.I., beating their spouse/kids, you can do something about it and not have to worry about getting arrested.

All in all it is a great job. True there are some drawbacks, but nothing that would make me go apply at a factory or office job.

Where do you work? *Great health insurance.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 12:47:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, let's see.  One night this week I stood in the dark with an night vision scope and arrested men who have chosen to pursue alternate lifestyle choices in a city park.

Put 7 in jail, cited two others,  and of the 9,  apprehended two unregistered sex offenders.

One day last week, I held 5 car thieves at gunpoint for almost 20 minutes until backup arrived.  They must have believed I was serious, not one so much as twitched in that time.

Just tonight recovered a woman's purse from her mugger,  still intact with her paycheck inside.  Got a BIG hug for that one.

Lots more examples like those, it's  called "Job Satisfaction".

All the crap I catch from ignorant twits does not even begin to whittle away at it.

My greatest fear is that someday I might get injured and stuck behind a desk.  That day is retirement day
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:49:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Also,

Amen to that!  After 13 years in a "cube farm" I have decided that I'm not cut out for it either.  That's why I'm joining the police academy in March.  

Thanks everyone for reminding me why I am starting over!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Also,

Amen to that!  After 13 years in a "cube farm" I have decided that I'm not cut out for it either.  That's why I'm joining the police academy in March.  

What part of TX are you in?
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:01:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Also,

Future LEO with the handle "dawg-killer" - that's too funny - I'm sure they'll have fun with that in GD.  (I know you mean coyotes)
CR
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I loved the interesting people I get to meet and the great odors they bring with them.

Hey Maineiac!!! Where you located? What PD?

I work Auburn, and Brunswick area.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Sunny Saco!

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Also,

What part of TX are you in?

jadams-
My apologies on the late reply.  I haven't checked this board in too many days.  I am in North Texas.  I am applying at the Collin County Law Enforcement Academy in December when they start taking apps for the March class.  Where are you located?  
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Gorham
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#17]

It sure beats working for a living...BTDT
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Sunny Saco!

I used to live in Saco, moved there with a GF, a month later I woke up and moved out.

Nice little town, I just went to an academy class with a guy from Saco.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top