Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/15/2018 12:30:19 PM EDT
I'm looking for a very lightweight boot that wears like a shoe, but has an boot style profile that looks good with a patrol uniform.

Is there anything that lets you run like a shoe but climb like a boot?

I like Soloman boots. The one I like that Soloman makes has grey in it and it needs to be black.

What can you guys recommend?
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like my Salomon XA Forces Mid GTX boots.  They're low enough and LW enough that they really feel like sneakers (I usually wear them when I run on the beach) and it appears they come in all black.

https://www.salomon.com/us/product/xa-forces-mid-gtx.html

The speed laces they come with are also pretty slick too.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
If you added some Miller strops and a couple tide pod pouches, you could make millions!
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I really like my Salomon XA Forces Mid GTX boots.  They're low enough and LW enough that they really feel like sneakers (I usually wear them when I run on the beach) and it appears they come in all black.

https://media.salomon.com/products/w680/L40138100.jpg

View Quote
I like those. I also found the Soloman speed assault shoe/boot. I wish there was a local place that carried them so I could see them in person. The pics make it look like it is more shoe than boot.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I think Palladium boots are what you seek. lightweight, rubber bottoms, several heights to choose from. they are french, so order a half size over what you usually wear. lotsa colors.  get em on Amazon.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I like those. I also found the Soloman speed assault shoe/boot. I wish there was a local place that carried them so I could see them in person. The pics make it look like it is more shoe than boot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're definitely very low cut.  Pretty much non-existent ankle support, as your ankle is gonna be just above to outer rim of the boot.  They're better than regular sneakers, but it's nothing like a traditional mid or high cut boot.

They are very comfortable, though, and if LW and "sneaker like" qualities are on the top of your priorities list, I don't think you'll go wrong with these.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I wear the Danner Tachyons on a daily basis and am very pleased with them. While more boot like than the Salomons mentioned above, they are very lightweight and I find them comfortable for long periods of time.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Under Armour Valsetz Stealth Duty Boots.  They are very light weight, like a sneaker.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Merrill makes a black MOAB and Under Armor has a nice light one too. I have them both.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Altima OTB’s, just like a pair on converse but built way better. Available on Amazon in either a low or mid top. Flat, grippy sole with enough tread to climb a wall. They’re slowly taking over my department due to their comfort, style and price.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 1:59:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Danner Tachyon with Gore Tex. They are extremely light weight, feel like sneakers and have a polishable toe.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 2:56:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Timberland pro series, i wear the low cut ones for trek. Pretty much sneakers, super confy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I work with a few guys who wear and swear by the addidas swat boots and being as comfortable as a running sneaker...

I wear the all black salomon boots (XA forces Mid) and no one has even noticed they aren't shined leather...
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Merrill makes a black MOAB and Under Armor has a nice light one too. I have them both.
View Quote
I have had my MOAB duty boots for a month....so nice!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Solomon 4D GTX, and a coat of kiwi. Mine started to fade (they weren’t a true black when i got them). A coat of kiwi made them all black, and looks uniform.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wear the Danner Tachyons on a daily basis and am very pleased with them. While more boot like than the Salomons mentioned above, they are very lightweight and I find them comfortable for long periods of time.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I've gotten a solid 2 years out of my Oakley SI Light Patrol boots. They're super comfortable and lightweight. They still have some life to them, I just want to try something else.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:56:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Another vote for the Danner Tachyon.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Id buy anything Salomon and a black sharpie before I'd go back to Oakleys or whatever else Ive worn out in 6 months after wrecking my arch
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Not a LEO but I have worn the Reebok boot for years.

https://www.amazon.com/Reebok-Work-Rapid-Response-RB8874/dp/B009L55BO0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1537384115&sr=8-7&keywords=reebok+boots

They are lightweight and tough.  I do not know how the black holds up, as we wore the tan.  Always get compliments on them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 9:46:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Most comfortable boot I ever wore was my Corcoran jump boots.  Breaking them in sucks, but once they were, they were more comfortable than running shoes.  They also shine up very nicely with the toe cap.  They do suck in snow because there’s no insulation, though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#22]
eta...nvm..these wouldn't work with a patrol uni
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I ended up getting the Soloman Speed assault for two reasons. First, the department I just started at actually offers the Soloman 4D GTX when they have them available. So when they get some in, I'll see if I can pick a pair up.

I also wanted the Soloman speed assaults, if nothing else than for personal use.

They actually look really good with blues. They do look very much like a sneaker. However, the toe, material and the aggressive tread gives a jungle boot appearance when the upper is covered by the pants leg. They're very light and comfortable.

I would recommend them to anyone considering it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Came to add Danner Mountain 600 Carbon Black
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Another vote for the Danner Tachyon.
View Quote
Another vote for these. I love them. Not too hot in the summer and super light.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
https://s7d3.scene7.com/is/image/LaCrosse/62248?$danner_13_pdp$

Came to add Danner Mountain 600 Carbon Black
View Quote
I've got 2 pair of these in and they are super light and comfortable
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes sir, I have even worn them with a suit on a detail. Lightest boot you can get.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 9:07:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I miss the old Israeli Desert Boots-- like an Adidas sole and lower attached to a juncle boot top. I lived in them during the 1970s and 80s. Haven't seen any for years, would love to find some more--
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#30]
I wear the reebok sublite cushion tactical boots in summer.  Feel just like a running shoe, very comfortable

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I really like my Salomon XA Forces Mid GTX boots.  They're low enough and LW enough that they really feel 12like sneakers (I usually wear them when I run on the beach) and it appears they come in all black.

View Quote
Bought these on Ebay for $125.  Awesome boots.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#32]
These are going to be my next duty boots Irish Setter Ravine Tactical boots. I wear Irish Setter Ravine boots with the BOA lace system off duty, and absolutely love them. They wear like a sneaker, comfortable and light weight, waterproof. Their tactical duty model will be the next boots I buy for work, once my trusty Danners wear out(if they ever wear out).
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:47:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Another vote for Salomon XA Forces Mid GTX boots. Its all I wear currently.
With that said, Merrell now has a tactical line with their MOAB 2 available in Mids in black.
Under Armors version are good but wear quickly, same as Oakleys assault boots.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 5:48:01 AM EDT
[#34]
+1 for Salomon
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 6:07:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
I’m on my second pair of Moab’s. I love them.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Saloman XA Forces GTX Mids. Most comfortable duty boots I've worn in my 23 years on the job.

J-
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Palladium Pampas are great.

Very lightweight and comfortable, with a nice aesthetic.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 2:27:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Salomon jungle boot, I wear them for patrol:
https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/product/urban-jungle-ultra.html#1191=9868
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 2:34:05 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm a cheapass who sometimes gets lucky.  I wear Wellco US issued hot weather combat boots (desert tan) for daily wear.  With thick socks they're actually more comfortable than my sneakers and my sneakers are very comfortable.

Yeah...comfortable Wellcos.  Whodathunkit?

When they wear out I'll buy another set of something like them.   I've ALWAYS had good results with USGI issued boots.  The key is to use thick boot socks.

I don't have any great desire to spend a lot more on boots.  I'm no boot snob.  I'm all about simple functionality and reasonable service life.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#40]
if you are already familiar with Salomon and like them, just go with their forces line, all solid colors including black...if it ain't broke, don't fix it

I currently wear the Salomon Forces Alps GTX. I have to wear a suit everyday and just prefer the way they look over the others...wish I could pull off the Quest 4D's , which I use for hiking and hunting but would look a little too silly with a suit.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Get a pair of These Oakley boots i feel like i could run miles in them easily and i have
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Adidas Terrex Swift R mid height. Have been my favorites so far over the Salomon choices.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:20:42 PM EDT
[#43]
+1 on the salomon xa forces and merrell moab tf or whatever they're called. You can find them on dsgarms at a discount if you verify for the LE discount.

I just got the lowa Innox too and so far they're the best of the bunch although they are the priciest. If you go that route go up a full size.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 5:57:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Under Armor Fat Tire boot
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:24:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:45:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I wear the reebok sublite cushion tactical boots in summer.  Feel just like a running shoe, very comfortable

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/349123/54HV64_AS01-699161.JPG
View Quote
I’ve been wearing the shorter model of these since March and I really like them
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:11:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm a cheapass who sometimes gets lucky.  I wear Wellco US issued hot weather combat boots (desert tan) for daily wear.  With thick socks they're actually more comfortable than my sneakers and my sneakers are very comfortable.

Yeah...comfortable Wellcos.  Whodathunkit?

When they wear out I'll buy another set of something like them.   I've ALWAYS had good results with USGI issued boots.  The key is to use thick boot socks.

I don't have any great desire to spend a lot more on boots.  I'm no boot snob.  I'm all about simple functionality and reasonable service life.
View Quote
Screw that. All of it.

Good boots are worth more than they cost. Easily.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Under Armour Valsetz Stealth Duty Boots.  They are very light weight, like a sneaker.
View Quote
Came here to post this.

I’m disappointed with UA’s quality or lack there of (broken zippers, back pull tabs, etc.) but they are inexpensive and comfortable otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 12:21:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Converse makes a side zip boot that I like and have been through a few pairs
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 5:54:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Switched from Danner to underarmour a year ago. Had my valsetz blow out 6 months on my first pair. Got the UA Stryker and love them. Almost tempted to pick up another pair in case they ever get discontinued. Full sized boot that is super light and they offer a waterproof model for a couple bucks more.

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top