Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2018 9:58:10 PM EDT
I don't know how to phrase my question, so bear with me.

In states you are familiar with, is there a track that allows you to maintain a peace officer certification outside of being a FT police officer?

Example: you were a full time certified officer, then quit to work as a PI. Is there an in-service equivalent that allows you to keep your POST up in case you decide to go back?

Seems like I read there is a state where you can go to college part time, and sit for a POST certification without ever touching a PD/SO. (I may be wrong)
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I can only speak to NC but I'm not aware of one here. If you leave LEO employment for a year or more I believe you have to recertify.

Most people just do sheriff's reserves around here to maintain their status.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:45:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Getting into a reserve program here (FL) will keep your certs active.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:59:52 AM EDT
[#3]
In IL once you get your certificate you never loose it. Granted in IL you can’t put yourself through the academy like in many states and have to be sponsored by an agency through an academy
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:05:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
As long as they also allow you to knock out the mandatory classes to keep the cert current.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#6]
You can keep a reserve certification here.  Take CPR First Aid classes and may some other ones and that'll give you the hours to keep it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#7]
In NY you have two years after leaving LE before your certs expire. All it takes to keep them active is to work one day, and the clock resets on the two years. I know retired guys who work a race or two at Watkins each year and keep their certs active that way....
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As long as they also allow you to knock out the mandatory classes to keep the cert current.
View Quote
I believe the online FDLE mandatory retraining courses count towards your annual training hours.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I believe the online FDLE mandatory retraining courses count towards your annual training hours.
View Quote
Or... maybe the Chief of Police can just fudge the training records...
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
They thought with going to an online POST portal here that it would cut down on that. All it means now is a shared password and no one knows who put the command staff's 'executive session' into the system...

So, no way in TX or CA to maintain POST without actually working for a criminal justice organization?
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
You leave Roger out of this.  Or was it Brad, or Mark, or...?  Lol
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same in Colorado.  At least the last time I looked.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 11:49:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
A few years back, a local PD had FDLE crack down on them because they raised red flags in completing the Limited Access FCIC recert.  Seems that having multiple officers completing the on line test in a few minutes raised some eyebrows in Tally.  They didn't lose access but all recert testing were given by someone from FDLE in a class.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 5:34:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I know this is old but in TN you have 5 yrs from the anniversary of your last POST in-service.  If you rehire in those 5 yrs you recertify by taking in-service classes.  After 5 and you have to go back to the Academy for an abbreviated refresher.(2 weeks (I think)) After 10 years you have to attend a full Academy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I know this is old but in TN you have 5 yrs from the anniversary of your last POST in-service.  If you rehire in those 5 yrs you recertify by taking in-service classes.  After 5 and you have to go back to the Academy for an abbreviated refresher.(2 weeks (I think)) After 10 years you have to attend a full Academy.
View Quote
That's the current set of regulations.

Do you know how to go to in-service without being a full time police officer, though?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top